Photo

Bayonetta-inspired Vagabond (paint question)

Paint Metal

5 replies to this topic

#1 DrinkMoxie

DrinkMoxie

• FNG1 
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:42 PM

Hello,

I'm working on paint job for a Vagabond inspired by the Onyx Roses shotguns from Bayonetta.

Basically, inspired by this:

Onyx%2BRoses.jpg

I'd like to turn my Vagabond into something like this:

16 - 2.jpg

(Not a great pic, sorry)

I was considering using a satin black spray paint for the barrel, but I'm worried that it'll end up looking fake-y. Normally I would just do some dry-brushing to weather it but, and here's where I get nit-picky, I feel like looking weathered, distressed, or otherwise banged up would go against the "character" of the gun.

Does anyone know a good way to get a nice, "clean" black metallic finish on something like this? Or am I totally overthinking the whole thing, and should just go buy a can of Rustoleum metallic black?
Either way, thanks for reading.

#2 Felix the cat

Felix the cat

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:00 PM

I'm new to painting but just use the spray paint. I've been getting great results.

#3 Remzak

Remzak

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:32 PM

Duplicolor vinyl dye and Krylon fusion for plastics are my recommended paint brands.

Unnoficial "Drone" Expert

#4 cakenoodle

cakenoodle

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:40 PM

My current techniques are a bit different than most, I use "Valspar Paint + Primer Paint for Plastic, Wood, Metal" (about $4.00 per bottle) and it works great, its feels a bit different than Vinyl dye but it's good quality (I've painted around 50 guns with this).

However make sure that if you plan on applying detailing then make sure you use Satin, flat chips quickly and gloss doesn't let paint apply to it well. I use a gloss clear coat because I like the look of shinny and toy like, also gloss feels better to me.

I have used satin and flat clear coats and they feel kind of grainy to me. However I am currently switching my painting techniques to vinyl dye because I can't find many primary colors in satin finish with Valspar. 

#5 Agles

Agles

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:42 AM

though your not planning it.

i look at that and just wonder. how to get that lever action to really work?

#6 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:48 AM

though your not planning it.
i look at that and just wonder. how to get that lever action to really work?

The only way to do it would be a lever action similiar in function to the buzz bee sentinel (make test battle opened one up on youtube) but there likely wouldn't be enough room.
The only other way would be to just have the lever cocking it and front load the gun with each shot.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paint, Metal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users