11 replies to this topic

#1 F4S4K4N

F4S4K4N

Foursfourkfourn

• FNG1 
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:50 AM

POPULAR

This is the first prototype for a fairly involved mod i've been working on. Quite a few things are pretty ugly, so try not to judge too much. :ph34r:

This isn't really intended to be a guide, but more of a rough overview of how it works. I'm working on another Zeus now that i will have a full guide for. Anyways, this mod starts out like most other Zeus mods. It's starts off by gutting most of the firing mechanism, rewiring the flywheel motors, and adding in a 3S LiPo pack. I've also replaced the stock flywheel activation switch with a microswitch. After that however, it gets a little crazy.

In a nutshell there is an Arduino micro-controller (Arduino Pro Mini 5v 16MHz) which is the brain of the operation. The mechanical trigger was cut down and turned electronic with a microswitch and has been wired into the Arduino. There are three additional button switches (fire mode selection, fire mode safety, and quick fire selection) which also connect into the Arduino. There is an RGB LED for status notifications on the side of the blaster as well as IR sensors in the firing chamber for firing syncronization. Finally, there's a relay and solenoid to trigger the actual firing proccess and a power switch to top it all of.

Yea, it may be a little over-engineered, but it works extremely well. In fact it works much better than i thought it would. Here's a little functional overview for the extra stuff.

Fire Mode Safety: Prevents the user from accidentally changing firing modes.

Fire Mode Selection: Switches between Semi Auto, Reboud, Burst, and Full Auto.

Quick Fire: Temporarly changes firing mode while held down.

IR Eyes: Tell's the Arduino if a round is currently chambered or not chambered. This prevents jams and helps achieve high rates of fire without double shooting.

A video of this thing in action can be found here: https://www.youtube....h?v=x1LgBGao-0w

Source code and parts lists can be found here: https://github.com/F4S4K4N/CronOS

I'll save discussion of CronOS for another thread, but the hope is that we can build upon it and make these types of mods a possibilty for all modders.

Here are some juicy, and cringeworthy, pics of the inside of the blaster. It's also coated in little yellow foam peices on the inside. 3S is fun, but likes to shred ammo.

Full shot of the blaster while open...

e9ZZv58h.jpg

Below is the main power switch for the arduino...

LYuWmTvh.jpg

On the left you can see one of the IR eyes glued in place...

OhAZPYJh.jpg

All of wiring coming together into the Arduino, there's a lot of excess bagage here... (Extra pull down resistors and excess wiring...)

CiZmidXh.jpg

Fire Selection and Quick Fire Buttons, as Well as the RGB LED...

Pw1I0MBh.jpg

LiPo Pack...

XKcWnkCh.jpg

Firing Solenoid Relay... (There were some other components above it that i scrapped...)

qrEVTCph.jpg

Firing Solenoid...

2lsB3pwh.jpg

Firing Mode Saftey Button...

xBXN1BKh.jpg

Trigger and Flywheel Switches...

mkUSr0Ch.jpg

So yea, like i said it's a little dirty. However it does work extremely well and is a great proof of concept. I can't wait to finish the final version and maybe do a rapidstrike as well!

Edited by F4S4K4N, 15 January 2016 - 02:50 AM.

#2 DraconisMarch

DraconisMarch

• FNG1 
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

Why are there no responses to this?  This is one of the coolest mods I've seen yet.  I think that Arduino's + Nerf is the future and you, my friend, are blazing the trail.  Still waiting for that installation guide though!

#3 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • State:Maryland

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

This is pretty cool, several of us are working on arduino based mods. I know me and Kingbob are both working on stampede utilizing them.

#4 TheNerfZilla

TheNerfZilla

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • State:Florida

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:35 PM

I've been wanting to learn arduino programming for a while now, and have a cool project planned that I want to get knocked out over the summer. It should be really cool if I can make it work.

But yeah, this is an extremely cool mod, I'm glad he's getting the attention he deserves for it.
I have a blog now!
How to Get Started Nerfing Pt. 1
Eat spaghetti to forgetti your regretti 

#5 Aldegar

Aldegar

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/Aldegar1 on Reddit

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:17 AM

Nice work! 

www.tacticoolfoam.com

Custom nerf guns and nerf modification kits

#6 Shadow55555

Shadow55555

• FNG-FB 
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

This mod is awesome. I am waiting for the full instructions

#7 venture51

venture51

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:53 PM

So I was inspired by F4S4K4N to create my own "CronOS" mod (which I'd probably dub "CronOS" lite) and was going to wait until I had it working really well before I shared my work with the community.   However, I ended up running into a few issues that I'm hoping you all can help with.

I made a number of changes to the original CronOs mod - both in the hardware and software.  I built my version without any instructions, but based it on a modified version of Technician Gimmick's Rapidstrike schematic http://nerfhaven.com...apidstrike-mod/.  I replaced the pusher motor in his schematic with a solenoid, and removed all the additional switches, displays etc.

3D Printed Parts and Analog Trigger

​Among the biggest changes I made was in incorporating 3D printed internal parts to create a battery, custom board, and Arduino cages - as well as fitted parts for the firing solenoid and an analog trigger.  The analog trigger is a sliding pot.  When the trigger is partially pulled, the motors spin up, and once the trigger is half way, the solenoid actuates.  What this does is eliminate the need for two separate triggers, you just pull the one.  I'm eventually going to have a mode where when you pull it part way you get a single shot, and when you pull all the way, it switches to full auto.

Simplification of the CronOs build

I also opted to remove the safety and "Quickfire" buttons - which I thought made the build unnecessarily complex.  ​(The mode switch is recessed enough that I believe the chances of accidentally changing modes to be very low).  I ended up having trouble compiling F4S4K4N's original code (I'm not a programmer in my day job - so couldn't figure out why it wouldn't compile in Arduino 1.7) - so I flattened the code into a single file and removed all the IFDEF statements.

​I've completed an initial build, but ran into the following problems:

BUGS

​1. In semi-auto, I can't seem to get the gun to consistently fire just one ball.  With the IR sensor - it would fire 2-3 balls.  Using the IR sensor didn't seem to solve this problem - in fact it appeared to exacerbate it.  I found removing the IR code, and relying on just the timing was more reliable (but I'd still sometimes get 2 balls instead of 1).

​2. My bigger problem right now is I've fried the mosfets hooked up to my flywheel motors twice now.  I did a little research, and I believe that the mosfets I chose (IRF520) were insufficient to handle the feedback from the motors.  Originally the flywheels were spinning up fine, but the motors stopped responding, spun weakly, and then it appears the mosfets overheated and immediately shorted, causing the motors to spin up indefinitely (only stopping when I turn the power switch off or pulled the battery).

I think I need something more robust.  I also think I might need protection circuitry and/or a heat sink for the mosfet.  I'm not an engineer, so I'm hoping that one of you is - and can advise me on how to fix the problem.  I came across this setup on an airsoft site:  http://www.airsoftca...ead.php?t=89097 - I think the components listed should take care of the problem.  My understanding is it will allow for higher peak currents.

​I've got the parts listed in the airsoft site on order, and am going to try replacing the mosfet/motor portion of the circuit. 

​Here's a picture of my build - would love your suggestions on how to solve the problem - or any questions or critique of the build.

- Venture

1oYnz4E.jpg

#8 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:32 AM

You should post up a wiring schematic for us to look at and try to help you find the problem, it seems to me you may need registers or possibly a step down style regulator for the mosfets, but without a schematic it's hard to say.

#9 venture51

venture51

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:51 PM

You should post up a wiring schematic for us to look at and try to help you find the problem, it seems to me you may need registers or possibly a step down style regulator for the mosfets, but without a schematic it's hard to say.

My wiring diagram is written in pencil on a sheet of notebook paper - it's quite the mess.  I'll clean it up and post it. 

In the meantime, I mentioned that my schematic is roughly based on TG's Rapidstrike schematic though.  The area I'm concerned with is the two flywheel motors - I've got mine wired similarly.  It has 12 volts supplied directly with the battery, a diode across the negative and positive leads, and a single mosfet on the motors' negative leads.

#10 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:31 AM

The diode is likely why your frying your mosfet, connecting the positive and negative is never good even with a diode (you could also have the diode running the wrong direction too)

#11 venture51

venture51

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:03 AM

The diode is likely why your frying your mosfet, connecting the positive and negative is never good even with a diode (you could also have the diode running the wrong direction too)

​You can see the diode in the photo above - it appears to be in the correct direction.  The motor ran ok for a while even with it on there.   Other than the ball timing/double/triple shoot, the gun was spinning up and shooting well... until it failed.

I read that having the diode  was critical for protecting against reverse voltage nd have seen them on multiple designs.  I've seen airport schematics without one - so I don't know...

Just before the mosfet failed the motors did not spin up - I think they seized... then began to smoke before I pulled the battery.  The next time I plugged in the battery after that, the mosfet had failed, and the motors spun up automatically even without the high signal.

#12 miyagi909

miyagi909

• FNG1 
  • 1 posts
  • State:California

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:13 PM

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I'm new with Nerf Modding, electronics, and using the Arduino in general.

My goal is to mod the Rival to be like the "CronOS" with almost the same functionality without the quick-fire mode. In addition, I want to include an ammo counter.

Attached is a schematic that I have created with all the parts and wiring. Can someone please take a look if I have all the wiring correct if I'm missing any resistors or other parts. I just want to make sure this schematic is feasible and don't want any parts to burn out or have the battery leaking out.

Thanks for taking a look. Hope to hear from you soon.

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arduino, CronOS, Full Auto, Nerf, Prototype, Rival, Zeus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users