sharkbite barreling questions

4 replies to this topic

#1 Kars923

Kars923

• FNG1 
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:21 AM

Hello,

I have several feet of 1/2 inch piping from a company called "sharkbite".  I am unsure what kind of pipe it is, but it is white, flexible, and has a tight fit on elites.  I was wondering if this is a viable barreling material.  Thanks! :)

#2 C-A 99

C-A 99

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:30 AM

This is PEX. It works as a barrel material if it has the right fit, and the section you have is straight. A lot of curved or bent PEX goes around: avoid them.

#3 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:34 PM

Yes it is PEX and does work as a barrel but it is mostly useless because cpvc is more rigid and PETG is cheaper. Also it is only good in small lengths because it will bend. Ok for pistols especially if you use PVC to stabilize it.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#4 Ksimo13

Ksimo13

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:50 PM

I think the best use for this pipe is to replace cycloneshock barrels with it. The turret on mine has cutouts on the sides and the red tubing looks nice in there. The turret also keeps the lengths of pipe straight. 

#5 Jimu RetroGuru

Jimu RetroGuru

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:12 AM

Sharkbite brand PEX is available from Home Depot in 2-foot lengths, which cuts down on the bend factor. Additionally:
-comes in the same sizes as copper pipe and CPVC, and therefore compatible with their couplers
-slightly cheaper than CPVC
-lighter and easier to cut & carve than CPVC
-comes in bright white, bright blue, and BRIGHT RED. The color codes are intended to distingush hot and cold water lines, but bright red barrels have a fairly high "don't get shot by trigger-happy cops" factor.

I've found red PEX makes great Nitefinder and Firestrike barrels, and just finished rebarreling my Maverick and DTG.

Also, the printing along the tubing (<SHARKBITE>, size info, bar codes) comes off with some acetone nail polish remover.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sharkbite, barreling, questions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users