3d printed rivals flywheels help

rivals flywheels physics 3d printing

31 replies to this topic

#26 Quack

Quack

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:58 AM

I'm with this guy! A servo controller is all you would need, considering you use the same size/brand of motor/ESC.

As far as not interrupting power to ESC while not wanting motors revved up, I'd say find a good speed with the servo controller then place the rev switch on the red wire coming off the ESC (The power source for the servo tester) And if that won't work maybe place the rev switch on the black or white wires so the servo tester stays on, but you interrupt it's communication to the ESC...

Thanks. That's what I think I'll do.

When I get excited I eat rocks.

#27 Agles

Agles

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

just info on the other wires. 

Red is positive, giving the tester power. Black (brown) is negative, sending power back to battery. White (mustard) is data. 

if you use the red, the server tester will half to boot up... ok a speedcontrol takes maybe 10sec. a tester takes 1sec if that. 

if you use the white (mustard), the tester will always be on. just the data being sent to the speedcontrol wont get there so they wont run. which also is alot like unpluging it from a Receiver. something we try not to do in RC.

i listed multi colors because a couple companies like to use a brown/red/mustard color cables. 

also most servo testers have up to 3 outputs. so you can test 3 servos at 1 time. meaning, you can forgo the servo Y harness and just plug both speedcontrols into the tester. 

#28 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

Not that I really know anything about brushless motors, but couldn't you just put the revswitch on one of the wires between the ESC and the motor (See yellow arrow below for clarity)

this wire.png

No idea which one of the three you'd need to interrupt (red, black or mustard in that picture), but I'd think that would leave the ESC and speed controller/servo tester on while simply starting/stopping the motor.

You'd need a second switch (or just disconnect the battery?) to disarm the whole thing/turn off the ESC.

Edited by jwasko, 14 January 2016 - 10:42 AM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#29 Remzak

Remzak

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:08 PM

As an RC enthusiast I can say that many of the motors you are looking have an RPM far too low to be useful in Nerf applications. Motors which are higher rpm require higher amperage rated electronic speed controls which can get expensive. You need to consider whether using brushless motors is reasonable or useful. I expect that a decent rivals brushless conversion could not be done for under 150$ including the price of the Zeus.
Unnoficial "Drone" Expert

#30 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:27 PM

I wanted to make this blaster consist of as many 3d printed parts as possible so I could control the manufacturing process. I see your point, but I know derlin let alone custom flywheels will be expensive. I knew this might fit in in the homemades, but I thought more of the flywheel guys would hang around here.

For prototyping, you're probably OK, but keep in mind that you'll need to watch them for stress and damage. There are 3rd-party super-stock parts for NERF upgrades, perhaps buy those for the final product.

#31 Agles

Agles

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

Not that I really know anything about brushless motors, but couldn't you just put the revswitch on one of the wires between the ESC and the motor (See yellow arrow below for clarity)

attachicon.gifthis wire.png

No idea which one of the three you'd need to interrupt (red, black or mustard in that picture), but I'd think that would leave the ESC and speed controller/servo tester on while simply starting/stopping the motor.

You'd need a second switch (or just disconnect the battery?) to disarm the whole thing/turn off the ESC.

Jwasko, brushless motors use AC not DC power. you wouldt want to mess with any wires going from the motor to the speedcontrol. watch the video in post #20 in this thread to learn more on brushless motors.

id tie the rev switch into the white wire going from the controller to tester in that video. 

and ya, a total on/off switch between the battery and controller would be a nice safety function. 

#32 Quack

Quack

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

As an RC enthusiast I can say that many of the motors you are looking have an RPM far too low to be useful in Nerf applications. Motors which are higher rpm require higher amperage rated electronic speed controls which can get expensive. You need to consider whether using brushless motors is reasonable or useful. I expect that a decent rivals brushless conversion could not be done for under 150$ including the price of the Zeus.

The brushless motors I'm going to use reach 210,000 rpm on a 3s lipo so I don't think that will be an issue. My blaster is homemade so with $60 in my motor setup plus 3d printing two springs, two switches, and screws I bet I could manufacture and sell this for $100-110 with reasonable profit if people wanted to buy (Please don't ask until I post something in the trading forum). 

Jwasko, brushless motors use AC not DC power. you wouldt want to mess with any wires going from the motor to the speedcontrol. watch the video in post #20 in this thread to learn more on brushless motors.

id tie the rev switch into the white wire going from the controller to tester in that video. 

and ya, a total on/off switch between the battery and controller would be a nice safety function. 

That's exactly what I was thinking. A rev switch between the esc and servo tester, and a on/off switch between the battery on esc's (for safety and to save battery life). 

Edited by Quack, 14 January 2016 - 03:07 PM.

When I get excited I eat rocks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rivals, flywheels, physics, 3d printing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users