Photo

Straight Pistol Blaster, Help!

9 replies to this topic

#1 Anurok

Anurok

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

Hey everyone, very very new here and to nerf modding!

I am a cosplayer in my off time and I am in serious need of some serious nerf modding/homemade advice. I am having the hardest time trying to mod existing nerf guns to fight my needs. I am trying to build a working replica of Ember Celica (From RWBY) that will fire a single dart. Hand loaded through the front like a traditional pistol/blaster.

The issue I am having is that I need to build the pistol INTO the gauntlet, here is a reference: http://vignette3.wik...=20131016012713

I tried using the Nerf N-Strike and while it worked to a certain degree, it was just too bulky. I also tried the Nerf Jolt and cut it up and modded it but I can get the trigger to sit without some serious work.

I need the trigger to be available by the thumb and the cocking mechanism available through the top of the gauntlet. I know it sounds odd, maybe I can scan some of my mock up drawings.

Does anyone have a tutorial on a VERY BASIC spring loaded nerf pistol/gun? I went across the net and only came across some of the bigger guns and blasters or tutorials (mostly on YouTube) that were just not very informative.

I would love some help and advice. I wouldn't mind Skyping if necessary or even helping with a commission. I need to get this done before San Diego Comic Con this year! It will be the first working Ember Celica mod out there and I am really looking forward to making it. The ONLY thing that is holding me back is the design for the straight pistol.

Many thanks!

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:05 PM

I think there are NERF blasters that would work best for your needs. A firestrike or similar should do what you want. A homemade could be built to fit your space, but it'd cost more than an off-the-shelf blaster and may not work as well.

Actually, the Long Shot Front Gun might be exactly what you're looking for. If I remember correctly, the trigger is detachable and basically just a button inside the shell.

The Mark 8 is about as basic as it gets and it's probably too big. You could scale it lengthwise however you like and it'd probably still work though

#3 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

There was an old nerf gun called the manta Ray I think it was, that was actually a gauntlet-like blaster. You might be able to find info on it to help you create what you want.

#4 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

If you're considering making a homemade, you might try and get some inspiration from Rainbow pistols, since they're relatively compact. Nite Finders or Firestrikes with replaced internals generally have a long, thin plunger tube. But really, homemades are generally constructed for lots of air for lots of power, and I'm not sure how bulky you want your gauntlet to be.

I think there are NERF blasters that would work best for your needs. A firestrike or similar should do what you want. A homemade could be built to fit your space, but it'd cost more than an off-the-shelf blaster and may not work as well.

Actually, the Long Shot Front Gun might be exactly what you're looking for. If I remember correctly, the trigger is detachable and basically just a button inside the shell.

The Mark 8 is about as basic as it gets and it's probably too big. You could scale it lengthwise however you like and it'd probably still work though

The Longshot Front Gun is a good suggestion when cut down. It might be a little hard to prime, but the nice thing is that it wouldn't have a plunger rod sticking out, if that's an issue. I think the best option, though, is the Nerf Switch Shot EX-3, pictured here. It was a blaster associated with a Wii game so you could pop out the blaster portion from the handle and make a lightgun.

If you used just the blaster portion, you would have to rig up a trigger. If you're adept with electronics, you might be able to rig up a small solenoid to push the catch, and put a button next to the thumb so you could trigger it remotely. You could also build a long rail trigger or maybe a wire pull, if electronics aren't your thing.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#5 Anurok

Anurok

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

I'm not very good with the electronics aspect. Although I am sure I could figure it out with tutorials, I have yet to try.

The Firestrike was my first option and while the entire thing worked, it was just bulky.

Is there a way to make the internals less bulky? I don't mind the plunger in the back since it will be hidden.

I really appreciate the advice!

#6 Felix the cat

Felix the cat

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

Try the secret shot pocket blaster. Tiniest nerf blaster I've ever seen. Or look for the nerf pen blaster, also tiny. But be sure to check the rules at the con, most don't allow anything that actually fires anything.

#7 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

This is a small front loading blaster that also has the plunger facing forwards. It should play well in a mod. It's older though and might be tough to find, but it would be cheap once you do track one down. Pull the plunger to prime, nudge the plunger towards the blaster to fire.

http://nerf.wikia.co...i/Wrist_Blitzer

Nerf also produced a wii compatible Nstrike blaster called the SwitchShot. It's more recent and would be easier to find. The beauty of that blaster is that the shooting portion (barrel, spring, catchplate, & piston) detaches so a wii remote can be inserted into the blaster shell. That detached portion is a fully contained cylindrical  blaster - sans trigger. You might be able to run some shrowded bike cable from the catch plate through the shell and to a thumb accessible pull ring.

http://nerf.wikia.co...witch_Shot_EX-3

You could also look for a spiderman dart tag blaster. Its a 3 barreled pneumatic wrist blaster that triggers via a pressure plate. They were very popular among nerfers a few years ago. I had one stuck to my baster as a back up to my primary. Since it's air powered, you can simply run a string from the trigger plate to what ever digit you want to trigger it with.

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#8 spencerak

spencerak

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:08 PM

you could use a Secret shot pocket blaster and replace the barrel with flexible tubing to re-route the airflow to the top of your gauntlet.  The blaster is rather small to start and uses only a button as the trigger.  Another option could be to use a hornet tank with a blast button.  This would also keep the trigger rather small and allow for airflow to be routed easily through the flexible tube.  The only thing is that both of these solutions would require a pump as they are air blasters as opposed to springers.  I do however believe that a back pressure air blaster is going to be the most compact opption that will be the easiest to have a remote trigger without an elaborate system of pulleys or electronics.

Holy shit it's Captain Slug.

#9 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

My suggestions of nerf blasters to modify/use:

Iron Man flyer
Seems to be readily available for cheap on ebay. Basically a straightened out Jolt. This may be as close to the form factor of what you want as it gets. It won't shoot very far, but I don't think that's what you need/want that anyhow.

Spiderman (spring-powered) wrist blaster
...who wants to buy mine for $60?

Edited by jwasko, 06 January 2016 - 12:37 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#10 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:31 AM

http://nerf.wikia.com/wiki/Manta_Ray. This is the gun i reference earlier and there are modsome available in the mod directory of that forum that show the internals. It seems like a toned down version of what your looking for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users