barrel mod

9 replies to this topic

#1 Frax

Frax

• FNG-FB 
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:03 AM

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I bought my first ever Nerf gun, a CS-18 Rapidstrike (not XD unfortunately) and I can't wait to start moding it. I've been reading for days info about batteries, motors, cabling, etc. but I don`t seem to find an answer to one question I have. I see inside my gun barrel some warping stripes (i´m not sure I can explain myself better so i´ll just post a picture), I have read the more friction you have, the more inaccurate and less far your darts go, doesn`t this greatly increase the friction on the dart? Have anyone tried sanding it out or removing this stripes somehow? what was the result? if not, is there a logic behind this stripes?

Thanks in advance!

Frax

Attached Thumbnails

• warp.png

#2 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:16 AM

they're fake rifling, like you would see in the barrel of a real gun. you can go really far down the rabbit hole in regards to rifling in this hobby but they widely accepted truth is that it does nothing. in this situation it doesnt cause any problems or benefits, as you could cut the blaster right after the flywheels like this  (credit to coop for that picture) if you really wanted to with no detriment. welcome to nerfhaven and have a fun time.

trans as shit because fuck you

#3 Frax

Frax

• FNG-FB 
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:57 AM

Got it, then I will just not bother with it for the moment, and concetrate my efforts on other mods. Thank you very much! :D

#4 yellow peril

yellow peril

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:32 AM

a CS-18 Rapidstrike (not XD unfortunately) 

Don't worry about it unless you really, really like a white stripe over an orange one.

#5 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:42 AM

That "rifling" makes using Gen 3 Koosh darts in a Rapidstrike borderline unuseable.

#6 NinjaNerf22

NinjaNerf22

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:43 AM

That "rifling" makes using Gen 3 Koosh darts in a Rapidstrike borderline unuseable.

Why? What does it do to the performance?
YouTube
NinjaNerf22
NinjaNerfVlogs

I nerfed you, I don't expect revenge either. Your blind, because you didn't follow the rules.

#7 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

Why? What does it do to the performance?

It catches on the velcro like head and makes them fishtail and swerve like crazy.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#8 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:51 AM

Some people swap the "rifled" barrels on elite blasters out for older n-strike barrels (which still have grooves, but they're not twisted) in order to reduce the friction if a dart swerves sideways in the barrel.

Other people replace their barrels with something smooth like a larger diameter of PVC to further reduce the chance of a dart swerving into the (in)side of these barrels.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#9 DLO01

DLO01

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:36 AM

^^^ This.  The rifled barrels are a cause of more inaccuracy, as the dart can hit the angled rifling and sends the dart off to the side.  The old n-strike straight barrels are best.  All my main blasters have the older barrels swapped in.  =)

#10 NinjaNerf22

NinjaNerf22

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:06 AM

Anyone know what the OD of the elite barrels are(mm) so I can find a pvc replacement.
YouTube
NinjaNerf22
NinjaNerfVlogs

I nerfed you, I don't expect revenge either. Your blind, because you didn't follow the rules.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: barrel, mod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users