Rayven alternative

23 replies to this topic

#1 HypergonZX

HypergonZX

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:05 AM

Hi NerfHaven,

I'm new to the community, so I honestly don't know if this goes here or in Modifications. Please move it if nessacary.

Anyways, I've been thinking of looking into a Strayven, as it's hella cool. But the thing is, Rayvens go for hundreds of dollars, and I don't have that much money to hand out. I'm wondering if any of you know any alternatives? Links would be appreciated. Below are some things I'm looking for in a alternative blaster:
1. Doesn't have to be functional, just for the shell
2. Must hold magazine
3. Should be reasonably sized compared to a Stryfe for easy integration

Thanks!

#2 Felix the cat

Felix the cat

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 12:34 PM

Look for them in lots on eBay. It's how I got the two I have, one of which is already a strayven.

#3 HypergonZX

HypergonZX

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 02:38 PM

I have looked into that, but usually the lots are also hundreds of dollars. I know Drac reviewed a ripoff "Speed" blaster, which might work. Does anybody know where to get that? Also, since the Crossbolt is also a bullpup, does anyone know if its compatible with the Stryfe?

#4 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

Since when did the rayven get expensive? Isn't the elite one still in production?

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#5 HypergonZX

HypergonZX

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:59 AM

Since when did the rayven get expensive? Isn't the elite one still in production?

I don't believe so. On Nerf Wiki it says it has been discontinued. If you search them up on Amazon they are quite exspensive.

#6 nerf4life

nerf4life

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:32 AM

Craigslist might be a great solution to your problem. I have looked in my area and there aren't any. Hope you have better luck finding one.

Edited by nerf4life, 27 December 2015 - 02:33 AM.

#7 Majestic

Majestic

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:44 AM

Crossbolt.

#8 TrexMan2003

TrexMan2003

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:37 AM

there are many chinese nockoffs such as the "speed" blaster on taobao :)

#9 HypergonZX

HypergonZX

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:11 PM

Crossbolt.

?

there are many chinese nockoffs such as the "speed" blaster on taobao :)

I have heard of the Speed blaster, but I haven't had any luck finding one? Can you link it here?

#10 nerf4life

nerf4life

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:29 PM

I can not validate this website, but I have found the Chinese speed for a reasonable price.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/toy-sniper-rifle-nerf-gun-Bullet-toy-gun-electric-soft-bullet-toy-gun-fo-children-boys/32457223601.html?spm=2114.10010108.0.153.S6g5hp 

#11 HypergonZX

HypergonZX

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:59 PM

I can not validate this website, but I have found the Chinese speed for a reasonable price.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/toy-sniper-rifle-nerf-gun-Bullet-toy-gun-electric-soft-bullet-toy-gun-fo-children-boys/32457223601.html?spm=2114.10010108.0.153.S6g5hp 

Man, either you are good at finding stuff, or I'm just bad. If get the chance to make this purchase, I will let you guys know how it is. On the other hand, have any of you ever bought from this seller?

#12 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:23 AM

I would be hesitant to order this. In the product details under the shipping, the way it's shipped worries me about damage in shipping not to mention all the other risks involved with buying cheap knockoff guns

#13 HypergonZX

HypergonZX

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

I would be hesitant to order this. In the product details under the shipping, the way it's shipped worries me about damage in shipping not to mention all the other risks involved with buying cheap knockoff guns

Since I wont actually use the gun for functional purposes in this case, i dont think quality will matter. Though all those pointers do make ma a bit hesitant. On a side note, I considering painting my Stryfe, is it possible to repaint a painted gun?

#14 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

Most of these Chinese knockoffs are decently close to the real thing. Also, most stuff from china comes well packed in bubble wrap, although there are exceptions. Be aware that aliexpress doesn't take PayPal, although you can message individual sellers and they might, although the transaction would then be going on outside the protections offered to you thorough aliexpress. Also, most of the sellers speak/write very limited English so communicating with them in that case would be difficult.

#15 xXD3V1LXx

xXD3V1LXx

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

You can reprint but it is a pain to sand off the old paint
A quote from Ice Nine
"Use the golden rule: Don't be a dick."

NERF On
-Devil

#16 HypergonZX

HypergonZX

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:31 AM

Most of these Chinese knockoffs are decently close to the real thing. Also, most stuff from china comes well packed in bubble wrap, although there are exceptions. Be aware that aliexpress doesn't take PayPal, although you can message individual sellers and they might, although the transaction would then be going on outside the protections offered to you thorough aliexpress. Also, most of the sellers speak/write very limited English so communicating with them in that case would be difficult.

Language is not a problem with me. For the payment, AliExpress can back it up like PayPal right?

You can reprint but it is a pain to sand off the old paint

Why do you have to sand? Couldn't you paint over it? (might be a total noob question)

#17 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:42 PM

You have to sand it because of the nature of the paint, basically your roughing the surface to give the paint particles more places to adhere and thusly give you a more even and better result to the paint, that is if i understand it corectly

#18 HypergonZX

HypergonZX

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:51 AM

You have to sand it because of the nature of the paint, basically your roughing the surface to give the paint particles more places to adhere and thusly give you a more even and better result to the paint, that is if i understand it corectly

So stuff like Krylon Fusion and Duplicolor Vinyl Dye still have to be sanded before applying? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that its not nessacary.  

#19 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:02 AM

So stuff like Krylon Fusion and Duplicolor Vinyl Dye still have to be sanded before applying? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's not necessary.  

Vinyl dye doesn't require it, paint does. However, sanding can't hurt either. I would recommend sanding but if you're lazy like me use vinyl dye, it will adhere much better than the paint without sanding. It's also worth mentioning that clear coat isn't necessary with vinyl dye either, but if you do use it, use the duplicolor wheel rim clear coat. I've heard it's better quality than other brands and won't ruin the plastic feel of the vinyl dye.

#20 HypergonZX

HypergonZX

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:12 PM

Vinyl dye doesn't require it, paint does. However, sanding can't hurt either. I would recommend sanding but if you're lazy like me use vinyl dye, it will adhere much better than the paint without sanding. It's also worth mentioning that clear coat isn't necessary with vinyl dye either, but if you do use it, use the duplicolor wheel rim clear coat. I've heard it's better quality than other brands and won't ruin the plastic feel of the vinyl dye.

But let's just say I use Vinyl Dye first, then paint over with some kind of Acrylic paint. I would have to use clear coat right?

#21 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:58 PM

But let's just say I use Vinyl Dye first, then paint over with some kind of Acrylic paint. I would have to use clear coat right?

Yes, but I would recommend enamel over acrylic.

#22 HypergonZX

HypergonZX

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:19 PM

Yes, but I would recommend enamel over acrylic.

Well, i usually find acrylic cheaper, and i have some random acrylic paint lying around the house. On a side note, do you know any stores that carry vinyl dye, more specfically Duplicolor?

#23 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:20 PM

Well, i usually find acrylic cheaper, and i have some random acrylic paint lying around the house. On a side note, do you know any stores that carry vinyl dye, more specfically Duplicolor?

Acrylic will be cheaper but enamel is higher quality. Check auto parts stores. In Canada Canadian Tire sells it but that store doesn't exist in the states so just check local auto stores in your area.

#24 HypergonZX

HypergonZX

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:01 AM

Acrylic will be cheaper but enamel is higher quality. Check auto parts stores. In Canada Canadian Tire sells it but that store doesn't exist in the states so just check local auto stores in your area.

That's good to hear, as I visit Canada about every 2 weeks :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rayven, alternative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users