Speedstorm Mod

7 replies to this topic

#1 flyingkiwi

flyingkiwi

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:48 AM

POPULAR

Hi everyone this is my first post. This is the first ever nerf mod/ build ive ever done. I call it fred the robot, check it out:

Screenshot (12).png

Video:

Basically its a speeds storm I butchered and put onto a DIY rover/robot. Its better explained in the video but im using a video transmitter that is commonly found in UAV/Multicopters and a raspberry pi for the rover brains.

Screenshot (9).png

I really did not have much time and so I put this thing together as fast as possible, its just a protoype. You can tell by all the wires hanging out. I think next i need to make it look good . Let me know what you think I should do as a body.

Disclaimer: Im trying my best not to get a warning, ive put this in the "modifications" section of the forum because this is not a homemade nerf gun rather a nerf gun ive added to and changed. Please let me know if im in the right place :unsure: .

here is a Demenstration video (its a bit silly but all that i have online at the moment): 

https://youtu.be/B_riTBb_-R8

Edited by flyingkiwi, 25 December 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#2 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:36 PM

That's pretty awesome idea. Can you aim the gun separately from the gun?

#3 flyingkiwi

flyingkiwi

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

That's pretty awesome idea. Can you aim the gun separately from the gun?

Do you mean move the gun seprately from the rover left right up and down? kinda like a tank? Not at the moment, i would have to add some large servo motors to do that 

#4 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:59 PM

I meant Rover separate from the gun. If your using raspberry pi, can't you use 2 analog sticks 1 for the gun and one for the Rover and just set up a rotating base for the gun?

#5 flyingkiwi

flyingkiwi

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:10 PM

I meant Rover separate from the gun. If your using raspberry pi, can't you use 2 analog sticks 1 for the gun and one for the Rover and just set up a rotating base for the gun?

At the moment im connecting to the raspberry pi wirelessly with my computer and i coded a program so i can use my computers keyboard. So I can use any key on my keyboard. So yes if you added a rotating base it would be easy to control.

Actually using a raspberry pi is not the best as it has slight lag (due to wifi) and i might get rid of it and convert to a 6 channel remote control for RC planes which is more instant.

#6 DjOnslaught

DjOnslaught

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

Rc plane control might definitely work better, could also instead of WiFi control use arduino and create a Bluetooth connection to it.

#7 Quack

Quack

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

What sort of ranges are you getting. Would it be a practical war vehicle.

Edited by Quack, 31 December 2015 - 02:32 PM.

When I get excited I eat rocks.

#8 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

Pretty slick!

Disclaimer: Im trying my best not to get a warning, ive put this in the "modifications" section of the forum because this is not a homemade nerf gun rather a nerf gun ive added to and changed. Please let me know if im in the right place :unsure: .

Don't worry, you won't get a warning. Warnings are issued to people who make content-free posts; posting photo and video of an actual working prototype is not only 'content,' but above-par for most of the topics here.

Look into RC Tank Combat for control and other ideas. They basically build NERF robo-tanks (only most are armed with paintball guns instead of NERF guns). Some of them are at a scale that could be considered full-on tank - kids can ride in them. Using a real RC controller is a good idea, RC components are probably more rugged and cheaper than Arduino/Raspberry stuff - unless you want to program it to drive autonomously. Should get better range too.

Edited by Meaker VI, 31 December 2015 - 02:39 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Speedstorm, Mod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users