Photo

Vulcan Issues

6 replies to this topic

#1 ILikeShotguns

ILikeShotguns

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:21 AM

So I was digging through my old guns after getting back into Nerf, and I found my old Vulcan, yay! So I loaded up the belt, hooked on the ammo box, put in new batteries, and tried to fire. Nothing. Re-tried the switch. Nothing. So then I tried the manual fire, and it worked, sort of. I can pull the bolt back and prime, but the trigger does nothing sometimes, so then I have to pull the bolt back again to fire. But I attribute that to it being old. I really want the full auto to work so I can use this in a war. It is of note that this blaster is FULLY stock, completely unmodified. And, the feed mech/loading door/priming mech works fine. I'd really prefer not to open this beast, as I am terrible with electric guns.

Edit: Just checked, there's no corrosion on the battery contact springs, so that's out. Any thoughts? 

Edited by ILikeShotguns, 22 December 2015 - 02:42 AM.

#2 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:50 AM

Pardon the insultingly obvious questions, but they needs to be asked.

Are you using fresh batteries?

Is the belt loaded in the proper direction with the nerf logo facing up?

Is the belt door completely and firmly closed? Theirs a switch inside the belt door that will prevent it from activating without a belt properly loaded. Try removing the belt, and reaching in to depress the pressure plate on the belt door with your finger and see if that gets things spinning.

Vulcan's are notoriously finicky and prone to breakage. The more common problems are stripped gears from people ripping the belts out instead of opening the door first, but even with a stripped gear, it would still clunk it's way into attempting to rotate the belt. A completely dead vulcan could hint at a bound gear, or serious electrical problem. An unresponsive trigger? Ick. That sounds like something is either broken or in desperate need of lubrication. Start with the easy and obvious first. Best of luck.

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#3 ILikeShotguns

ILikeShotguns

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

Pardon the insultingly obvious questions, but they needs to be asked.

Are you using fresh batteries?

Is the belt loaded in the proper direction with the nerf logo facing up?

Is the belt door completely and firmly closed? Theirs a switch inside the belt door that will prevent it from activating without a belt properly loaded. Try removing the belt, and reaching in to depress the pressure plate on the belt door with your finger and see if that gets things spinning.

Vulcan's are notoriously finicky and prone to breakage. The more common problems are stripped gears from people ripping the belts out instead of opening the door first, but even with a stripped gear, it would still clunk it's way into attempting to rotate the belt. A completely dead vulcan could hint at a bound gear, or serious electrical problem. An unresponsive trigger? Ick. That sounds like something is either broken or in desperate need of lubrication. Start with the easy and obvious first. Best of luck.

Changed the batteries with new ones yesterday. Belt is in properly, and the top jam door is closed. I know for sure the gears in the belt mech aren't stripped because I can advance the belt in manual mode just fine. The trigger's only unresponsive sometimes, like if I hold it down while priming (force of habit from slamfire guns). Seems like I'm gonna have to pop this beast open and see what maker her tick. Will keep you guys posted. 

#4 MuffinToast

MuffinToast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:55 PM

I don't know about this, but my Vulcan has corrosion on the motor which might be a problem. 

#5 NinjaNerf22

NinjaNerf22

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:30 PM

The trigger's only unresponsive sometimes, like if I hold it down while priming (force of habit from slamfire guns).

That's your problem for an unresponsive trigger right there, or at least when in single shot mode. If your gears are all in place and everything advances fine when in single shot mode, try opening her up and look at the wiring to the trigger, and then follow the circuit until you see the problem. I hope this helps, I just pulled out my Vulcan as well but mine works fine and I plan to upgrade the spring to compete with elite ranges, RETERN OF THE VULCAN!
YouTube
NinjaNerf22
NinjaNerfVlogs

I nerfed you, I don't expect revenge either. Your blind, because you didn't follow the rules.

#6 Birch

Birch

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:14 PM

To paraphrase Daniel beaver: I have identified the problem:

Vulcan

It's like a Hurricane ate a Tornado and shat out a Monsoon!!

#7 ilikefish58

ilikefish58

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:40 PM

Seems like I'm gonna have to pop this beast open and see what maker her tick. Will keep you guys posted. 

Don't be afraid to open it up. All the vulcan's mechanical components are more or less self-contained. Sounds to me like you may have a faulty electrical switch by the trigger. Then again if it doesn't always fire in manual and you have to manually re-prime it, it may be a catch issue.

This was my old vulcan writeup. There are a ton of things I'd do different now, namely replace all the wiring and switches, but it may help you as a general reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users