Using Gen 3 Koosh darts in a Rapidstrike

spin out or helicoptering

13 replies to this topic

#1 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:17 PM

Anyone use 3rd generation Koosh darts in a Rapidstrike? I noticed every 6 or so shot out of the my Rapidstrike tend to twirl, spin out, or helicopter.

Anyone else observe this and if so, do you know what the cause is and how to fix it? I wonder if removing the skirt might help?

#2 Astech

Astech

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:35 PM

I've had the same problem with my Stryfe, albeit at 1 in 20 or so darts. I think the problem is that, since there is no air cushion around the dart, it hits the sides of the barrel and ricochets around, leading to the spin. The longer the barrel, the worse it gets.

I'm not sure about removing the skirt, but avoiding firing and running at the same time will decrease the chances of catastrophic twirlage. Additionally, faster darts spend less time in the barrel, so ramping up your batteries (if you haven't already done so) to Li-Ion will decrease this effect.

I've always wanted to be a pilot. Then I'll have an excuse to keep my head in the clouds.

#3 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for the post and interesting explanation. I recall reading that some flywheel users actually want a barrel extension to improve the accuracy of their darts. I was skeptical and I think your explanation is more likely correct.

I guess I'll figure things out eventually. Right now I'm running a 6 cell NiMH battery pack as the only mod to my Rapidstrike. With a fresh battery, the non-loaded voltage is about 8.5 volts. I should try to replicate my problem with a fully stock Rapidstrike.

#4 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

Tested the Gen 3 Koosh darts in a stock Rapidstrike and a stock Stryfe. I observed no spinning out or helicoptering in the Stryfe, but I saw spinning out or helicoptering in the stock Rapidstrike. I also used the darts in a Stryfe with 4 Trustfires and saw no spinning out or helicoptering.

Bottom line from my observations
: Gen 3 Koosh darts work better in Stryfes compared to Rapidstrikes.

#5 Remzak

Remzak

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:41 AM

Part of the issue may be the pusher mechanism in the rapidstrike. Your mods may also have contributed. I have a souped up rapidstrike that hates koosh darts but works great with Chinese solid tipped elites.

Unnoficial "Drone" Expert

#6 Pineapplepies

Pineapplepies

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:48 PM

Anyone use 3rd generation Koosh darts in a Rapidstrike? I noticed every 6 or so shot out of the my Rapidstrike tend to twirl, spin out, or helicopter.

Anyone else observe this and if so, do you know what the cause is and how to fix it? I wonder if removing the skirt might help?

There is a way to remove the skirt, and although it may not help, I would still do this anyway since removing the skirt lowers the chance jamming by a lot. What you need to do is open up the jam door without a clip in(make sure there is no way the flywheels can activate) and stick you finger in the part where the darts enter into the flywheels. Then bend your finger down and around and then yank it out. If it does not work try getting at it in a different way or use really long needle nose pliers

<p>It's nerf or...... every other blaster brand that is better 

Darth nerf "I used to like the deploy, I ''twas but a learner, now I am the master" Obi buzz bee kenobi "only a master of nerf evil darth"

#7 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking into transitioning to using a Stryfe, but I will probably remove the skirt to see if that fixes the problem. I question whether it will, because I understand that skirt helps center the dart before going through the flywheels and I imagine the spinning out is due to some darts existing the flywheels off center (just a theory).

Also, I never have jamming issues (although I'm just running 6 NiMH cells).

Edited by shandsgator8, 04 December 2015 - 12:56 PM.

#8 Pineapplepies

Pineapplepies

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking into transitioning to using a Stryfe, but I will probably remove the skirt to see if that fixes the problem. I question whether it will, because I understand that skirt helps center the dart before going through the flywheels and I imagine the spinning out is due to some darts existing the flywheels off center (just a theory).

Also, I never have jamming issues (although I'm just running 6 NiMH cells).

I didn't know that the skirt did that, since it didn't do anything wrong to my freind's Demolisher when I took off the skirt because would not stop jamming.

<p>It's nerf or...... every other blaster brand that is better 

Darth nerf "I used to like the deploy, I ''twas but a learner, now I am the master" Obi buzz bee kenobi "only a master of nerf evil darth"

#9 Felix the cat

Felix the cat

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:53 PM

None of my flywheel guns have the skirt in them, they cause to many jams from my experiences. I haven't used koosh darts yet though. I've run elites, streamlines, suction and fvj darts through my modded stryfes, the one NiMH rapidstrike, and a MTB modded fearless fire with brassed flywheels. In all of them the skirt would cause the dart to jam up the blaster till it was removed. Just my .02¢.

Edited by Felix the cat, 06 December 2015 - 03:54 PM.

#10 DblDrgn

DblDrgn

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:30 PM

I made s similar query over on https://www.reddit.com/r/Nerf asking about my Elite Alpha Troopers and the spin out that I'm experiencing with all koosh darts (including generation #3 Koosh) , here's a link to that thread.

torukmakto4and foam_datarecommended that I swap out my rifled barrels for non-rifled versions (like what can be found in most blasters before 2012) the stampede for instance, was mentioned as a good swap for the Rapidstrike's rifled barrels.  I'm currently looking for a yellow alpha trooper or raider which should be a direct swap for my EAT, but I have access to a Stampede as well.  

Edited by DblDrgn, 08 December 2015 - 01:30 PM.

#11 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:37 PM

I'll give that a try if I can find an old barrel.

Thanks!

#12 DblDrgn

DblDrgn

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

UPDATE: I finally solved this issue with my Elite Alpha Trooper by swapping the EAT's rifled barrel for a non-rifled one (I used a Stampede Barrel which I cut down to the correct size, then "fluted" the first few millimeters of the inner barrel) 

I highly recommend doing this same mod as I believe it will solve the koosh spin out issue you are experiencing with the Rapidstrike.

#13 NevadaZielmeister

NevadaZielmeister

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

Where is the best place to find some of these non-rifled barrels? Does using the Nerf Elite darts solve this issue?

In reviewing this video: 

I find that there was no discussion regarding rifling. It seemed to compare the different between spring vs. flywheel. So for me, I wonder if the Elite's are the better dart.

#14 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:28 PM

I think the best place to find non-rifled barrels would be thrift stores, yardsales and places like NH.

Yes, assuming you have to use a rifled barrel in a Rapidstrike, Nerf Elite darts reduce the chance of helicoptering/spinning out/fishtailing or whatever you want to call it.

As for the video you're referencing, I don't think Coop tests any of those darts in a Rapidstrike or EAT (he's a Stryfe lover, and for good reason, I think). Therefore, I don't think he ever had a chance to address helicoptering.

Edited by shandsgator8, 17 December 2015 - 12:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users