Photo

Barrel Length for Air Blasters

6 replies to this topic

#1 Raisinbran

Raisinbran

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

How do you determine the length of your barrel when making an air blaster (tank powered)?
You're a great nerf modder! So keep up the great work and be awesome! :D :D :D :D :D

#2 OceanSkais

OceanSkais

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

It matters what tank. If its a mid volume one like a at3k/2k then 12in of airgun fit. If its a larger volume blaster like a big blast it will need 16-20 depending on dart fit. Some air guns like the sm1500 have a faster air release, which means you should tighten up your barrel so its atleast a push fit. This is mostly just my opinion, from what ive read and seen from videos, but i may be wrong and if i am please correct me below.

#3 shandsgator8

shandsgator8

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

There are a few rules of thumb that can be found if you search NH. However, because of the nuanced differences in darts and barrels, the only way to know for sure is to use a guess-and-check method of testing. There are manufacturing inconsistencies among FBR and tubing, especially CPVC, so one can't always expect one brand or source of barrel material to always be the same.

#4 Ekd

Ekd

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:22 PM

10 in of cpvc and Home Depot foam work great in my at3k hits 110 no prob.

#5 Astech

Astech

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:59 AM

Trial and error is easy here. Make a barrel significantly longer than reasonable, then cut of 3" segments until the range starts dropping. That's the barrel length you should use. Obviously this is inaccurate, but so is a Nerf dart.
I've always wanted to be a pilot. Then I'll have an excuse to keep my head in the clouds.

#6 Pineapplepies

Pineapplepies

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:44 AM

It matters what tank. If its a mid volume one like a at3k/2k then 12in of airgun fit. If its a larger volume blaster like a big blast it will need 16-20 depending on dart fit. Some air guns like the sm1500 have a faster air release, which means you should tighten up your barrel so its atleast a push fit. This is mostly just my opinion, from what ive read and seen from videos, but i may be wrong and if i am please correct me below.

What if I have a titan and am using cpvc from Lowes for barrel material? I currently have around a 10 inch barrel and am wondering if I should add 6 inches of cpvc or more.

Edited by Pineapplepies, 27 October 2015 - 07:44 AM.

<p>It's nerf or...... every other blaster brand that is better 

Darth nerf "I used to like the deploy, I ''twas but a learner, now I am the master" Obi buzz bee kenobi "only a master of nerf evil darth"

#7 Brimstone Omega

Brimstone Omega

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:36 AM

How do you determine the length of your barrel when making an air blaster (tank powered)?

Oh boy, he (or she) went there. Well, you can get highly technical and do some crazy math, there is an actual equation that will give you an optimal barrel length somewhere burried in the bowels of the Haven's thread mire. Offhand there's no way I could recite it, something along the lines of air volume multiplied by dart length divided by air release, ext. ext. And you get a very precise ideal length. If all that sounds like too much than any of the other suggestions would work equally well, if not as ultra perfect. You can probably use the search engine and find the actual equation if you were so inclined, I'm feeling lazy right now and don't want to do it myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users