Photo

Stefan/Slug making in Australia or lack of supplies thereof

15 replies to this topic

#1 Rich

Rich

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:47 AM

As the title suggests, it is very hard to find felt for slugs in Australia. The main supplier of felt tips I could find is this website www.walkershardware.com.au/showProduct/Hardware/CASTORS+and+LEGS/22210349/BUFFER+S+SAVER+ANTI+SKID+FROAM+13MM+PK24
As you can see, the felt is very expensive as we do not have a Mcmastercarr equivalent here. I was thinking we could make a combined list for cheap supplies for slug making and the like in Australia to help nerfers who are just getting into the hobby in Australia and need a little direction in the way of supplies. I will start off the list with some FBR although i haven't tested it. http://www.ebay.com....KwAAOSw91NTvMRM
Is the link. Happy nerfing

Edited by Rich, 22 October 2015 - 07:49 AM.

#2 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

Personally I think the easiest way would be to get a bulk McMaster order together and have a member from the US ship it to you.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#3 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:17 PM

Personally I think the easiest way would be to get a bulk McMaster order together and have a member from the US ship it to you.

Just keep in mind, and this is merely from my experience, I tried shipping a blaster to AUS and it ended up falling through because shipping is absolutely horrendous. Like the shipping on a 75 dollar blaster was like 300 bucks.
Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#4 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:17 PM

Are solder and electrical tape available in the Land of Oz?

You could make JSPB magnums.

I know how to help you because I have broken every rule in the book.

#5 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:41 PM

Those are terrible. They aren't aerodynamic and solder is incredibly expensive compared to the traditional stefan weights. And you might as well make those o-ring darts that are similar because even though they also fly like shit (read: WAY shorter distances and accuracies compared to domes or slugs, or even VANS, silicone domes and sili-tips) at least they're metal free/safe.

#6 Birch

Birch

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:13 PM

Stop advertising these. They are not good or safe.

It's like a Hurricane ate a Tornado and shat out a Monsoon!!

#7 Rich

Rich

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:12 AM

I do not really have the money to arrange a order of bulk size plus shipping is stupidly expensive

#8 Rich

Rich

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:15 AM

I hope I am not violating the forum rules by saying this, but their performance is crap period.

#9 Rich

Rich

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:19 AM

Those are terrible. They aren't aerodynamic and solder is incredibly expensive compared to the traditional stefan weights. And you might as well make those o-ring darts that are similar because even though they also fly like shit (read: WAY shorter distances and accuracies compared to domes or slugs, or even VANS, silicone domes and sili-tips) at least they're metal free/safe.

Agreed. Also, do you know how I can obtain a silicone tip mould. I am also happy with suggestions for darts other than silicone tips and slugs, as long as they don't give paintball welts, draw blood or are stupidly expensive. Happy nerfing

#10 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:09 AM

Agreed. Also, do you know how I can obtain a silicone tip mould. I am also happy with suggestions for darts other than silicone tips and slugs, as long as they don't give paintball welts, draw blood or are stupidly expensive. Happy nerfing

Those are pretty easy to make. Find a friend/school shop/other shop with a drill press or router and chuck an appropriate bit, then go to town on a sheet of plastic (Usually a cutting board, which you should be able to find in AUS).

You've probably got different prices than I do, but ebay here shows loads of Chinese clone elite-darts for $0.04-0.08 each shipped. Just the materials for slugs cost more than those do.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure what to tell you. Australian Nerf seems to be its own animal due to your rules on projectile weapons of all kinds, so members from there might have ideas on what works best for you.

#11 father time

father time

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:54 AM

Have you tried asking on Oznerf? http://oznerf.forumotion.com/
They are always where I go for answers to questions about the land of the "Drop Bears"
Ask her if she wants you to give her a multiple orgasm.
And when she looks stunned show her a picture of the blaster.
But if she gets excited. You're in.
-Miguel Ramos
Time is the one thing you can never escape.-Father Time

#12 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

You could always just make domes. I'm sure there is an industrial supplier in Australia that can provide ball bearings.

#13 Rich

Rich

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:50 PM

Those are pretty easy to make. Find a friend/school shop/other shop with a drill press or router and chuck an appropriate bit, then go to town on a sheet of plastic (Usually a cutting board, which you should be able to find in AUS).

You've probably got different prices than I do, but ebay here shows loads of Chinese clone elite-darts for $0.04-0.08 each shipped. Just the materials for slugs cost more than those do.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure what to tell you. Australian Nerf seems to be its own animal due to your rules on projectile weapons of all kinds, so members from there might have ideas on what works best for you.

I would have made a silicone tip mould, but in the land of down under schools don't really have a "school workshop". It's annoying I know.

#14 Rich

Rich

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

Have you tried asking on Oznerf? http://oznerf.forumotion.com/
They are always where I go for answers to questions about the land of the "Drop Bears"

Hmmm I will go ask there now (I had never actually heard of them)

#15 Rich

Rich

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

You could always just make domes. I'm sure there is an industrial supplier in Australia that can provide ball bearings.

They were banned after so many people made crap ones with fishing weights, needless to say people got severely hurt from the glue separating from the dart then the weight seperating from the glue

#16 Splosionman

Splosionman

• FNG1 
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:49 PM

Hey there Rich

As a long time Australian nerfer, the first thing I'd like to point out is that OzNerf is essentially dead and has been for quite a while. I would be surprised if you got any meaningful response.

I personally use the Australia Nerf forums: http://australianner...forum/index.php

Although more active, it is mainly in terms of war organisation for the Adelaide area. Most of the posting modding community is on Facebook, as well as nerf groups from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra and Perth. I won't link to all of those, but try joining the group 'Australian Nerf Modders'.

Finally, in regards to the thread topic, basically your experience in trying to find felt pads is the same as everyones in AU since the beginning of time. To my knowledge, no one has every imported a significant amount of felt tips, and I have never actually seen a Slug in the flesh.

Put it this way. Until a couple of years ago, almost every active nerf group used darts made with 'sili-tips' which were custom made dart heads that were similar to actual nerf streamline heads but not crap. This was decided to be a more economical and beneficial alternative to slugs, if that gives any indication as to how cost inneffective they are.

That old supplier is gone now, and most people, especially given the prevalence of flywheels and shorter ranges in general ( with a few exceptions) in Australia, use the above mentioned Chinese knockoff darts.

Personally I am one of the very few people who still uses domes. Not really sure which central nerf authority banned them, but I'm not really looking to start a discussion on that, but I will say I have never personally caused anyone to bleed, or had a head separate and hit someone. YMMV.

Edited by Splosionman, 09 November 2015 - 04:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users