Photo

Waivers for nerf wars?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Heatblast016

Heatblast016

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:39 PM

I'm planning on hosting a nerf war and I'm wondering if I should have a waiver- I will be modding my blasters but playing with 8-13 year olds

#2 xXD3V1LXx

xXD3V1LXx

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

I'm planning on hosting a nerf war and I'm wondering if I should have a waiver- I will be modding my blasters but playing with 8-13 year olds

Where is this?
A quote from Ice Nine
"Use the golden rule: Don't be a dick."

NERF On
-Devil

#3 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:05 PM

Shouldn't be an issue as long as you're requiring everyone to wear eye protection and aren't shooting singled hydro cannons everywhere. Waivers are only really necessary if there's a real danger of injury, and you're worried about liability.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#4 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 01:17 AM

I'm not a lawyer.

If you're having the event on public property, like a park, I wouldn't bother with waivers. Waivers signed by minors or their parents are rarely enforced in criminal cases. If a bunch of people show up in a park with their own blasters, and someone gets shot in the eye, you're just the guy who told everyone the time and the date to show up. But if you hand out waivers you're automatically the person in charge, and on some level you're taking responsibility for what goes on.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#5 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

I'm not a lawyer.

If you're having the event on public property, like a park, I wouldn't bother with waivers. Waivers signed by minors or their parents are rarely enforced in criminal cases. If a bunch of people show up in a park with their own blasters, and someone gets shot in the eye, you're just the guy who told everyone the time and the date to show up. But if you hand out waivers you're automatically the person in charge, and on some level you're taking responsibility for what goes on.

On the other hand- if you ARE the person in charge, and/or you're hosting the event on private property, waivers are probably a good idea.

#6 Heatblast016

Heatblast016

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:02 AM

I'm not a lawyer.

The problem is I kind of am the person in charge but we are playing on public property(I or my friends might loan out ammo and occasionaly blasters)

#7 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:39 PM

The problem is I kind of am the person in charge but we are playing on public property(I or my friends might loan out ammo and occasionaly blasters)

"Kind of" implies a little wiggle-room has been preserved. Lesson 1 of CYA 101 essentially says: "Leave a hidden exit. Do not get rid of any opportunities to pass the buck onto somebody else."
Keep the wiggle room. Don't have waivers.
Delegate the job of telling the overall rules to one of your friends. (Overall rules such as "No shit cannons, flamethrowers, or matte-black blasters")
Delegate the job of telling the specific game rules to another friend. (CT, DTC, TDM, etc.)

All this is for if you're hosting a big war.

Something small, like I've done in the past, we're in and out without anybody noticing or caring, and we all know the basic rules and abide by them without having to have any real leader.

I know how to help you because I have broken every rule in the book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users