Photo

Koosh Vortex Tornado Scans (Now a shell replica concept thread)

3D printing 3D scan Koosh Tornado crossbow CNC Injection Molding Resin Casting Fiberglass

152 replies to this topic

#1 Gemeneye

Gemeneye

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hello everyone. I have had the privilege of having someone use a CT scanner for me to scan the four main parts of a Koosh Vortex Tornado Shell. I have the files in .stl and .ipt. I did my best to get the scans as clean as possible, but I wasn't able to clean up the right half of the shell the entire way. Here are some pictures of the scans.

MBVLgEU.png
Ah5f3IE.png
dkUarlg.png
X9MmNdZ.png
1mNPgsc.png
UcdBP4l.png

My 3d modeling skills are a little lacking, so hopefully someone can help further this. Thanks!

Edited by Langley, 12 April 2016 - 07:35 PM.

#2 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

So what I get out of this is it is now possible to 3D Print these shells? Someone scan a crossbow!

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#3 Ekd

Ekd

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:43 PM

So what I get out of this is it is now possible to 3D Print these shells? Someone scan a crossbow!

I think Drac painted a crossbow white and sent it out to to get scanned a little while back.So maybe we'll get crossbow shells too.

Edited by Ekd, 13 August 2015 - 04:43 PM.

#4 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:04 PM

I think Drac painted a crossbow white and sent it out to to get scanned a little while back.So maybe we'll get crossbow shells too.

He never heard anything back from the guy he sent it to. Pretty much just lost a crossbow shell forever.

#5 Ekd

Ekd

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

He never heard anything back from the guy he sent it to. Pretty much just lost a crossbow shell forever.

He just posted a pic on his Instagram with the shell in it so maybe there's hope yet.

#6 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

He just posted a pic on his Instagram with the shell in it so maybe there's hope yet.

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware. For anyone else seeing this thread here's a link to the picture of the project. I think this is the future of homemades honestly. 3D Print a tornado shell in whatever color you want, and modify the insides to fit whatever homemade internals you make perfectly. Genius.
https://instagram.co...ken-by=lorddrac

Edited by The2ndBluesBro, 13 August 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#7 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:09 PM

3D printing needs to get stronger, I've had things printed out well that break and the rest of my stuff is cracked. I like the polycarb, HDPE and thinwall. Anyway, it looks great so far, good job.

#8 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:16 PM

3D printing needs to get stronger, I've had things printed out well that break and the rest of my stuff is cracked. I like the polycarb, HDPE and thinwall. Anyway, it looks great so far, good job.

Maybe we can use bondo or a similar compound to strengthen the shells. As long as they can print in the original crossbow colors.

#9 Gemeneye

Gemeneye

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:20 PM

It's more expensive, but you could have it cnc'd out of something more sturdy.

#10 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

It's more expensive, but you could have it cnc'd out of something more sturdy.

Is ABS Plastic an option with this? We could also possibly have crossbow shells and tornado shells mass produced with injection molded ABS. Exact copies with slight tweaks to the logos so as to avoid any possible copyright issues could be right around the corner for $20 plus shipping.

#11 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:42 PM

Is ABS Plastic an option with this? We could also possibly have crossbow shells and tornado shells mass produced with injection molded ABS. Exact copies with slight tweaks to the logos so as to avoid any possible copyright issues could be right around the corner for $20 plus shipping.

Considering Hasbro makes their shells out of ABS, yes it would be an option, but injection molding will be so far out of reach, cost wise, for anything any of us modders would ever want to do. Having to make new tooling means it just isn't economical for small runs. CNC milling it could work, but is incredibly wasteful, and buying stock large enough to mill out an entire shell half is prohibitively expensive also. Buying an actual crossbow would be way cheaper.

In all reality, additive manufacturing (like 3D printing) is the only method that makes any sense for us from a cost standpoint. All other methods either have too large an upfront cost or you have to spend hundreds of dollars on stock only to cut 90% of it away in the mill.

From a personal perspective, I wonder why do people like crossbow shells anyway? They're really not as comfortable as everyone thinks they are. They are too small in every dimension, and the handle is just way too blocky and hard to really be ergonomic.

#12 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

Considering Hasbro makes their shells out of ABS, yes it would be an option, but injection molding will be so far out of reach, cost wise, for anything any of us modders would ever want to do. Having to make new tooling means it just isn't economical for small runs. CNC milling it could work, but is incredibly wasteful, and buying stock large enough to mill out an entire shell half is prohibitively expensive also. Buying an actual crossbow would be way cheaper.

In all reality, additive manufacturing (like 3D printing) is the only method that makes any sense for us from a cost standpoint. All other methods either have too large an upfront cost or you have to spend hundreds of dollars on stock only to cut 90% of it away in the mill.

From a personal perspective, I wonder why do people like crossbow shells anyway? They're really not as comfortable as everyone thinks they are. They are too small in every dimension, and the handle is just way too blocky and hard to really be ergonomic.

Hmmm it seems we should really look into the 3D printing aspect then. I think it's personal preference all the way on the shell. Love it or hate it kind of thing. This could be a practical way to make a VenoMaXX Mk. 3 as well, with a "real" SM5K shell.

EDIT: I recently discovered something called SmoothOn, which is an epoxy resin coating specifically designed for 3D printed parts. This could help 3D printed replica shells get closer to the strength of the stock shell.

Edited by The2ndBluesBro, 14 August 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#13 kidame tomanaka

kidame tomanaka

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

just as a disclosure, the scan for the Crossbow is in the midst,

snakerbot, the whole point of it being scanned is so it can be edited, (like extending the stock 2" to allow for longer draw, along with improving grip comfort)

i have sat with drac, and i have sat with lucian (the guy scanning the crossbow), and the plan is to rework the design of the crossbow to bring it up to current NIC standards, he's still looking into materials to print it out of because we all know PLA is not the best choice, as well as he wont be printing on normal printer, they may take it to an industrial scale, but its to be determined.

FLY #YOLOBOW FLY!
Wars Attended: NENO-CT 1-13 APOC -NJ13' 14' 15' 16' Frozen Foam-NY 15' Plains- PA. 15'

#14 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:04 PM

Wood, Steel, Aluminum, Marble, and Gold are options with this. Mill machines can cut basically anything and are used for production work all over the place.

Considering Hasbro makes their shells out of ABS, yes it would be an option, but injection molding will be so far out of reach, cost wise, for anything any of us modders would ever want to do. Having to make new tooling means it just isn't economical for small runs.

I've seen hobby and DIY injectors, but none of them make objects this large. You'd be more likely to find knock-offs (using the actual molds) being manufactured in China and shipped via Ebay; if so, that's the best/cheapest route. Though these blasters are old enough the molds were probably recycled long ago.

CNC milling it could work, but is incredibly wasteful, and buying stock large enough to mill out an entire shell half is prohibitively expensive also. Buying an actual crossbow would be way cheaper.

You can recycle the cut stock from some materials, but yes, cutting a crossbow/tornadobow sized block down will be wasteful at our scale.

What would NOT be a wasteful use of a CNC, however, is cutting down a foam (or equally inexpensive) mold-making material and using that to make a mold for either vacuum-forming or casting. A vacuum-formed shell would be mostly aesthetic, but with reinforcement you could probably get a useful grip and frame out of it. A molded shell would need to be planned at the outset and possibly molded around your chosen internals, which would probably make it heavy. Either would get the look and feel though if that's what you're after.

Edit: Right, one other option is laser cutting. If you get a good file you can slice it into 1/16-1/4" thick layers and build it up out of sheet material with much less waste and include cut outs for your internals at the same time. CNC could do something similar out of thicker material (1/4"-3").

Edited by Meaker VI, 17 August 2015 - 10:55 AM.

#15 nerfa-derpa

nerfa-derpa

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:07 PM

I know this is great and all, but what is the point of this instead of making a +bow? In my opinion I think + bows look cooler

Edited by nerfa-derpa, 14 August 2015 - 07:08 PM.

D.N.F.F

#16 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:11 PM

I know this is great and all, but what is the point of this instead of making a +bow? In my opinion I think + bows look cooler

Stronger. The +bow "shell" is polycarbonate which is strong material but I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping a +bow on grass as much as I would one of these shells, most nerf guns survive drops pretty well. Also personal preference, and just because we can and it's cool.

Edited by The2ndBluesBro, 14 August 2015 - 07:12 PM.

#17 Gemeneye

Gemeneye

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:33 PM

I am having trouble smoothing out the surface and cleaning up the extra material around the scans. Does anyone with experience cleaning up scans such as these have any tips?

#18 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:37 PM

I am having trouble smoothing out the surface and cleaning up the extra material around the scans. Does anyone with experience cleaning up scans such as these have any tips?

You could just print the shells and smooth out the final shell with sandpaper.

#19 Gemeneye

Gemeneye

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:47 PM

That's true, but I was hoping to have the shells require no finishing, or at least as little finishing as possible, after being printed. I was also curious if there is anyone here with access to a 3d printer with a print base large enough to print these scans. Also if someone has access to a cnc machine. I would like to test the scans out with one off of some kind.

Edited by Gemeneye, 09 September 2015 - 10:45 PM.

#20 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:50 AM

Meshlab is supposed to do exactly what you're trying to do, though I've never quite figured it out.

Look for makerspaces/hackerspaces/fablabs in your area, they often have 3d printers and CNC's, can explain how to use them, and probably help you figure out the best way to use them for your part. Also universities, libraries, and some 3d printer brands have users who will make public prints (Ultimaker does IIRC).

#21 mysterio

mysterio

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:28 PM

I could probably help with cleaning up the files/printing them, although probably in sections. I have access to a 3d printer, as well as software, and also happen to be the person who put up the original scans on facebook.

If two powerful is a problem then just go with one powerful. I guess this style of hopper will work even beyond three powerful..

15:46 *** Buff is now known as TheGdiddler
15:51 TheGdiddler I'M GONNA GRAPE YOU"

#22 mysterio

mysterio

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:12 PM

So, it definitely works. Still working on the right side of the shell, but at least I'm faster than Lucian.2015-12-12 22.50.52.jpg

If two powerful is a problem then just go with one powerful. I guess this style of hopper will work even beyond three powerful..

15:46 *** Buff is now known as TheGdiddler
15:51 TheGdiddler I'M GONNA GRAPE YOU"

#23 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:23 PM

Do you know how much the entire shell would cost once printed? Will you be selling them? As well, are you going to scan the crossbow as well or are we just going to wait for Lucian to finish that?

#24 Gemeneye

Gemeneye

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:25 AM

Unless I thrift a crossbow, I don't think I will be scanning one.  

#25 Gemeneye

Gemeneye

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:22 PM

The cleaned-up models.  mysterio did a great job with them.  

G6v6Bfm.jpg

75lFwP5.jpg

F6yEZJE.jpg

5P7V8vc.jpg

NujoLeC.jpg

U6HoqqG.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3D printing, 3D scan, Koosh, Tornado, crossbow, CNC, Injection Molding, Resin Casting, Fiberglass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users