Pipe Insulator Missiles

what are the possibilities?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Goat

Goat

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 02:08 PM

a while ago I made some missiles out of insulator, using foam craft sheet for the fins and the nose. It wasn't incredibly successfull. I got ranges around 50', but they were just so heavy. has anyone else tried these things and are there any ways to expand on the idea?
Bag it.-C.S.I.

#2 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:16 PM

I got ranges around 50'

With what gun?
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#3 Goat

Goat

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:21 PM

Using either a basic homemade or a xp 105 super soaker. If you wrap elecrical tape around 1/2" pvc the missiles fit tightly.
Bag it.-C.S.I.

#4 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:38 PM

i have, i get slightly better ranges than that angled with a brass modded SS@. my missiles dont have a separate nosecone, i just cut slits in the end and floded the resulting tabs inward and hotglued the whole mess. also added about four splitshot sinkers. flies nicely, it just needs a more powerful launcher.

#5 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 10:32 PM

I have too and got 103.7 feet(wind assisted) with my modded supersoaker xp. no mater how I make the fins, theu usually seem to be incrediably inaccurate, however. I tried making fins that make it spin and it worked slightly better.

Edited by Viper, 29 July 2004 - 10:33 PM.

#6 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 10:53 PM

yup. spin stablization increases accuracy. mine is pinpoint: one foot radius at 60 feet, 45 degree elevation.

#7 Goat

Goat

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 12:33 AM

Do you guys think that people could actually do anything useful with these though? I only used them in a nerf war once, and they were only used when I had a height advantage. They are pretty fun to shoot stuff with. ^_^
Bag it.-C.S.I.

#8 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 01:41 AM

so far, testosterone-soaked fun is the only use ;D
if you make some kind of fragmentation or shotshell round, it becomes really useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users