Photo

Looking for good Stryfe motors!

21 replies to this topic

#1 montainz09

montainz09

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:06 PM

[To whom it may concern: This is somewhat of a repost of this post I made in late April. This post includes some more detailed information, and is also in hopes that some new options may be available in terms of buying motors (new confirmed motors, new ebay listings, etc.)]

Hey guys, I'm looking for some replacement motors for my strife. To get to the point, here's a quick rundown of the relevant mods that have been done so far and some criteria for the motors.
- Thermistor, Jam Door Lock, and Magazine Lock removed. (Mechanical locks also removed.)
- Whole blaster has been rewired, including the resisters between the motors.
- Motors are some (rookie mistake) RM2s that I have burned through. No longer have the stock motors.
- I have lightly sanded the flywheels for less dart slip.
- Need to run batteries through stock tray.
- Running Efest 14500 IMRs (3.7V each) with dummy batteries, and can do any combination of them. (I have 4 IMRs and 4 dummy batteries.)
- Running the stock rev trigger, but replacing that if necessary would be fine.
- Open to shell cutting for some 180 motors, but would prefer 130s if possible.
- Looking for performance, but something that will last. (Giving this one to a friend, don't want anything not working for a long time.)
- Price isn't really a concern, but I'm going to be smart with it. I not paying $30 for something that is slightly better then stock motors, when I can just buy another stryfe for $20.

If anyone could suggest some motors that would be great. I'm in Canada if that changes anything, but I should be able to get almost anything. Links would be appreciated cause getting scammed sucks.
Thanks!

Edited by montainz09, 26 June 2015 - 12:07 PM.

#2 Condorboy

Condorboy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

Okay, first of all, since you are in Canada check this war out and state if you will be coming: http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=26140 As for the motors, something similar to this: http://www.ebay.ca/i...2-/181733619210 will do just fine, and you can scale up or down a few dollars depending on your price range.

Edited by Condorboy, 26 June 2015 - 12:38 PM.

'Cause I'm a straight up gangster, I know that stuff.

#3 Yacob

Yacob

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:38 PM

For motors, just a drop in:http://m.ebay.ca/itm/251757448977?_mwBanner=1 they are about 3$ apiece, and can run anything from stock aa's for "stockish" performance, or I've personally run them on 3 trustfires with no issue. I would however upgrade the rev switch to this puppy:http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/sms-310/15a-spdt-snap-action-switch-w/lever/1.html, simply shave down where the stock switch sat and screw this into the post where the cover screwed into with a slightly longer screw.

#4 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:26 PM

Okay, first of all, since you are in Canada check this war out and state if you will be coming: http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=26140 As for the motors, something similar to this: http://www.ebay.ca/i...2-/181733619210 will do just fine, and you can scale up or down a few dollars depending on your price range.

Do you have any spec sheets, chrono data, or reliability info on those motors? Many of the helicopter motors that are being sold do not play well with our hobby when run at the RPMs required to be an improvement over stock motors. Some of them use metal brushes instead of carbon brushes and will suffer the same fate as RM2s. Some of them use carbon brushes but have terrible quality control, and the brushes fall apart in the motor or come DOA.

For motors, just a drop in:http://m.ebay.ca/itm/251757448977?_mwBanner=1 they are about 3$ apiece, and can run anything from stock aa's for "stockish" performance, or I've personally run them on 3 trustfires with no issue. I would however upgrade the rev switch to this puppy:http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/sms-310/15a-spdt-snap-action-switch-w/lever/1.html, simply shave down where the stock switch sat and screw this into the post where the cover screwed into with a slightly longer screw.

Those motors are metal brushed motors and will suffer from the same early death that RM2s will under heavy use at higher voltages. Ebay borked and showed me some weird motor. Ignore this. My bad. I bought from that same listing.

OP: These are verified good motors by myself. I linked chrono data on your last post, and since then have continued using them with no failures other than the pair I tried to run at 3s. If you want to get really fancy, you can run some xtreme 180's, but they might be over your $30 price tag depending on if they're on sale or not. If you can find someone with some Falcon motors, those are good as well (although in my tests they chrono 3-5 FPS lower than the ones I just linked). 180 motors are pretty overkill for most nerfers when compared to falcons or the ebay motors I linked. The ones I linked spin up to full revs in under half a second. The only benefit you get from 180's would be higher torque to spin up a little quicker. The best motors for the value were the FK-180sh-3240's but they are pretty much extinct now. Some places are selling models with the same number, but they are counterfeit/imitation and don't meet the same specs or have metal brushes (Unless something has popped up in the last 2 weeks). Trust me, I've been looking like crazy to try and source some.

Feel free to take what I'm telling you with a grain of salt. Hell, feel free to buy whatever you want. However, you might want to look for something that has proven chrono data and reliability records since that's what you indicated in your post that you're looking for. I am not the one selling those motors, I don't get a kickback on them, I have no vested interest in them. I'm just trying to get people to stop wasting their money on sub-par motors.

Edited by meishel, 26 June 2015 - 08:03 PM.

#5 Condorboy

Condorboy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

Do you have any spec sheets, chrono data, or reliability info on those motors? Many of the helicopter motors that are being sold do not play well with our hobby when run at the RPMs required to be an improvement over stock motors. Some of them use metal brushes instead of carbon brushes and will suffer the same fate as RM2s. Some of them use carbon brushes but have terrible quality control, and the brushes fall apart in the motor or come DOA.

Those motors are metal brushed motors and will suffer from the same early death that RM2s will under heavy use at higher voltages. Ebay borked and showed me some weird motor. Ignore this. My bad. I bought from that same listing.

OP: These are verified good motors by myself. I linked chrono data on your last post, and since then have continued using them with no failures other than the pair I tried to run at 3s. If you want to get really fancy, you can run some xtreme 180's, but they might be over your $30 price tag depending on if they're on sale or not. If you can find someone with some Falcon motors, those are good as well (although in my tests they chrono 3-5 FPS lower than the ones I just linked). 180 motors are pretty overkill for most nerfers when compared to falcons or the ebay motors I linked. The ones I linked spin up to full revs in under half a second. The only benefit you get from 180's would be higher torque to spin up a little quicker. The best motors for the value were the FK-180sh-3240's but they are pretty much extinct now. Some places are selling models with the same number, but they are counterfeit/imitation and don't meet the same specs or have metal brushes (Unless something has popped up in the last 2 weeks). Trust me, I've been looking like crazy to try and source some.

Feel free to take what I'm telling you with a grain of salt. Hell, feel free to buy whatever you want. However, you might want to look for something that has proven chrono data and reliability records since that's what you indicated in your post that you're looking for. I am not the one selling those motors, I don't get a kickback on them, I have no vested interest in them. I'm just trying to get people to stop wasting their money on sub-par motors.

I liked the motors you recommended for a 2S lipo, but which motor(s) would you recommend for a Stryfe running on a 3S Lipo? I am also very open to cutting the shell.

#6 montainz09

montainz09

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the replies! I really like those ones you suggested meishel and I liked them in the previous post, but never got around to buying them before the listing ended. I'll probably go with those. But I also agree with Condorboy: What would you recommend for 3s? Are they substantially better?

#7 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

I liked the motors you recommended for a 2S lipo, but which motor(s) would you recommend for a Stryfe running on a 3S Lipo? I am also very open to cutting the shell.

Thanks for the replies! I really like those ones you suggested meishel and I liked them in the previous post, but never got around to buying them before the listing ended. I'll probably go with those. But I also agree with Condorboy: What would you recommend for 3s? Are they substantially better?

Falcon Motors are the only motors I'd recommend running on 3s, but they're pretty much extint right now. I've been trying to order 50 of them for a project, and I can't find them anywhere. All the Aliexpress links for them say they're out of stock a few days after I place an order and they refund me.

Falcon Motors actually yield less FPS than Meishel motors (the ebay ones I linked above) by a very small margin, but spin up SLIGHTLY faster (like .05 of a second faster). The only reason I used falcon motors in my hailfire was because I did not want to have to have two different voltage motors in the blaster since I planned to run the blade motors at 3s. I use the Meishel motors in 90% of my flywheel blasters and they work great. If you ask about them on reddit (where they were nicknamed for my discovery, lol), you'll get more than a few people singing their praises.

Until Blades or Falcons show up again on the market, or people find some new motor and properly test them so the community can actually see they're good (Instead of the whole "I JUST PUT THESE IN MY STRYFE AND THEY'RE SO LOUD BRAH!" approach some people take), Meishel motors are the best option outside of high end slot car motors, xtreme 180s, or some custom solution.

#8 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:51 PM

Don't Shark NSR40s run at 3s?

Granted they are expensive and I think they have long-term durability issues, but I believe they are still available (unlike Falcons at the moment).

Is there a specific reason you want a motor to run at 3s as opposed to 2s? If you are using IMRs and you run at 2s, you already have a spare set of IMRs for longer games. At 3s, you'd need to buy two more cells to have that.

Edited by jwasko, 27 June 2015 - 02:53 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#9 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:27 PM

Don't Shark NSR40s run at 3s?

Granted they are expensive and I think they have long-term durability issues, but I believe they are still available (unlike Falcons at the moment).

Is there a specific reason you want a motor to run at 3s as opposed to 2s? If you are using IMRs and you run at 2s, you already have a spare set of IMRs for longer games. At 3s, you'd need to buy two more cells to have that.

I didn't forget sharks, I just don't recognize their viability. My understanding is their armiture wire is very thin which leads to the failures we've seen in our community. Slot car motors in general are a bad choice for us since they are made for very short bursts. If you regularly rev longer than 10 seconds straight, slot car motors are not a good idea.

Edit: Also, sharks run 40k RPM, and on 2s, Meishel motors hit 37-38k. Anything over 36k has huge diminishing returns on benefits to velocity.

Edited by meishel, 27 June 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#10 Condorboy

Condorboy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:44 PM

Falcon Motors are the only motors I'd recommend running on 3s, but they're pretty much extint right now. I've been trying to order 50 of them for a project, and I can't find them anywhere. All the Aliexpress links for them say they're out of stock a few days after I place an order and they refund me.

Falcon Motors actually yield less FPS than Meishel motors (the ebay ones I linked above) by a very small margin, but spin up SLIGHTLY faster (like .05 of a second faster). The only reason I used falcon motors in my hailfire was because I did not want to have to have two different voltage motors in the blaster since I planned to run the blade motors at 3s. I use the Meishel motors in 90% of my flywheel blasters and they work great. If you ask about them on reddit (where they were nicknamed for my discovery, lol), you'll get more than a few people singing their praises.

Until Blades or Falcons show up again on the market, or people find some new motor and properly test them so the community can actually see they're good (Instead of the whole "I JUST PUT THESE IN MY STRYFE AND THEY'RE SO LOUD BRAH!" approach some people take), Meishel motors are the best option outside of high end slot car motors, xtreme 180s, or some custom solution.

Thanks for the awesome quotes bro. I think I have sealed the deal on what to buy, but I need a bit of clarification. Which one of these 180 motors would you recommend? These motors or http://www.ebay.com/...r/121490241100T these motors: http://www.ebay.com/...-/111574072018? The only difference is 3V as opposed 6-12V, and I want to run 3S, so which ones should I use?

Edited by Condorboy, 28 June 2015 - 08:03 AM.

#11 Condorboy

Condorboy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:03 AM

Double Post.

Edited by Condorboy, 28 June 2015 - 11:16 AM.

#12 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the awesome quotes bro. I think I have sealed the deal on what to buy, but I need a bit of clarification. Which one of these 180 motors would you recommend? These motors or http://www.ebay.com/...r/121490241100T these motors: http://www.ebay.com/...-/111574072018? The only difference is 3V as opposed 6-12V, and I want to run 3S, so which ones should I use?

Both of those listings are out of stock, and we have talked to that seller and they cannot get more. The only 180 motor I'd recommend for 3s would be the FK-180sh-3240, and the only way I know of to currently buy that is here: http://www.amain.com...-eflh1210/p9391 and you need to pry the gear off and desolder all that other junk they put on it. Note, running that motor on 3s over 2s barely improves performance but causes more wear on the motors. Why are you so hung up on 3s? It would be cheaper to buy a new battery and get the 2s motors I linked earlier.

#13 montainz09

montainz09

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the continuously detailed replies. I was just curious if you could get some substantial gains from going to a 3s, but clearly not. I have since ordered the Meishel motors! Thanks again.

#14 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the continuously detailed replies. I was just curious if you could get some substantial gains from going to a 3s, but clearly not. I have since ordered the Meishel motors! Thanks again.

Not on a single stage flywheel system. You gain a few FPS, but you sacrifice a lot of dart wear and motor wear. Considering they're pushing $10 per motor, ruining them in a few months instead of a couple years is not too appealing. If you ever do an afterburner build, the 3240's make excellent second stage motors on 3s, but you'd need to find something to run on 3s for the first set that runs around 35-40k RPMs. And you're welcome. I hope they work out for you.

#15 ravetrooper

ravetrooper

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

[tp://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-DC-1-5V-6V-3V-5V-High-speed-Magnetic-Small-Motor-for-Car-Boat-Aircraft-Toy/221639931485"]These[/url] are verified good motors by myself...

If you can find someone with some Falcon motors, those are good as well (although in my tests they chrono 3-5 FPS lower than the ones I just linked).

For motors, just a drop in: [Sold out Falcon Motors] they are about 3$ apiece, and can run anything from stock aa's for "stockish" performance, or I've personally run them on 3 trustfires with no issue. I would however upgrade the rev switch to this puppy:http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/sms-310/15a-spdt-snap-action-switch-w/lever/1.html, simply shave down where the stock switch sat and screw this into the post where the cover screwed into with a slightly longer screw.

What I want to know is: can the Meishel motors handle 12v (3 trustfires) or can you only use them with a LiPo (lower voltage, higher current)?

Gut the electronics, drill a hole in the shell, and attach a crank to the gear. Bam, crank-action stampede that doesn't require batteries, or even a trigger.

...(also judging by your past posts, I would consider you pretty dang wise elder like in the modding community :lol: )

#16 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:21 PM

What I want to know is: can the Meishel motors handle 12v (3 trustfires) or can you only use them with a LiPo (lower voltage, higher current)?

I don't know. I don't have nor want IMRs. They get near glass ceiling velocities on 2s Lipo. Good nuff for me. I think some people on reddit have run them with IMRs but I'm not sure the outcome. Based on how quick mine died on 3s LiPo, I'd say no, and they're better running in 2s with 4 IMR cells wired in a parallel config. (2s2p)

#17 Condorboy

Condorboy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

Both of those listings are out of stock, and we have talked to that seller and they cannot get more. The only 180 motor I'd recommend for 3s would be the FK-180sh-3240, and the only way I know of to currently buy that is here: http://www.amain.com...-eflh1210/p9391 and you need to pry the gear off and desolder all that other junk they put on it. Note, running that motor on 3s over 2s barely improves performance but causes more wear on the motors. Why are you so hung up on 3s? It would be cheaper to buy a new battery and get the 2s motors I linked earlier.

Me and Mont just both ordered the Meishel motors. Thanks for helping me out in my selection. I will be running the Meishels on 2 IMRs.

Edited by Condorboy, 04 July 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#18 montainz09

montainz09

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:54 PM

Alright. So I got the motors. Awesome. In the process of wiring them up. One question though: Does the rubber motor cover that holds the stock against the flywheel cage matter? With these motors, the connection tabs are in the center of the motor, right where the cover goes, as opposed to the side like the stock motors/RM2s.

#19 Condorboy

Condorboy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

I am also wondering if you need to replace the rev switch.

#20 Lunas

Lunas

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:59 PM

you should if you want a bit more complex of a circuit you could put a relay or a dc-dc voltage and current controller it would offer a bit of adjustment for you.

#21 montainz09

montainz09

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:42 PM

I have ran 2 IMRs before, and I have never had to. The stock one works just fine with my wire setup, which is simply battery box -> rev switch -> motors

Edited by montainz09, 27 July 2015 - 10:42 PM.

#22 Lunas

Lunas

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:46 PM

I have ran 2 IMRs before, and I have never had to. The stock one works just fine with my wire setup, which is simply battery box -> rev switch -> motors

the stock switch is good for around 3 amps not much more can be drawn through it to get the very most out of it you should replace it or use a relay to have a high current and a low current side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users