Can I hopper the Swarmfire?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

I was wanting to mod my Swarmfire to be more powerful and to use inline-clips.
However, I wanted to know if it has enough volume to run a hopper.
Simple yes/no answer will work, or an in-depth mathematical answer with a physics model telling whether any given plunger volume can be hoppered.
Help, please.

Edited by Maniacal Coyote, 18 June 2015 - 09:36 AM.

I know how to help you because I have broken every rule in the book.

#2 cheerios

cheerios

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:01 AM

No
22:46- jakejagan :Ryan, did you hear that Zeke's BBBB made N9 bleed?
22:47- Zorn :BONUS

#3 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:22 AM

Look at the plunger volume of the swarmfire. Pretty goddamn pathetic. Now look at the volume of the wye alone. Do you think that the volume of the plunger can fill the volume of the second? Air cannot magically spawn within your plunger, so we're working with very limited quantities.

I'll give you a little inside information, free of charge.

[(P*V)/T] at 1 = [(P*V)/T] at 2

If we make the very sweeping assumption that air temperature remains constant we get:

[P*V] at 1 = [P*V] at 2

Now let's take a look back at your system. When your plunger moves forward, V1 decreases, and P1 increases. How much does that pressure increases? Not by much, because your initial plunger volume is MAYBE 2 cubic centimeters, and that's without the obvious leaks in the plunger setup that the swarmfire has. Plus the spring leaves alot to be desired, so that's also a limit on the maximum pressure (P=F/A). So you have low pressure AND low volume to work with. Air blasters use low volume, but high pressure, where as springers use high volume and lower pressure to operate a hoppered feeding system.

Look, you don't need to use this (rather shitty) science to build you blasters, but get a feel for things. Use your intuition. If you think it's going to work, try it out. The worst case is it doesn't and even then you can sometimes fix it or learn from your mistake.
Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#4 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:26 PM

It sounds like you basically want a stampede. Is there a reason you're not going that route?

#5 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:56 PM

In line clips are more air efficient than hoppers so, while theirs a chance (in theroy) that they'd work, I think the deal killer will be tipping the blaster downwards to seat the next dart and then bringing it back up and aiming will be nigh impossible while your fully automatic battery powered plunger is dry firing away at unseated darts in your inline clip.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#6 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:23 PM

Look at the plunger volume of the swarmfire. Pretty goddamn pathetic. Now look at the volume of the wye alone. Do you think that the volume of the plunger can fill the volume of the second? Air cannot magically spawn within your plunger, so we're working with very limited quantities.

I'll give you a little inside information, free of charge.

[(P*V)/T] at 1 = [(P*V)/T] at 2

If we make the very sweeping assumption that air temperature remains constant we get:

[P*V] at 1 = [P*V] at 2

Now let's take a look back at your system. When your plunger moves forward, V1 decreases, and P1 increases. How much does that pressure increases? Not by much, because your initial plunger volume is MAYBE 2 cubic centimeters, and that's without the obvious leaks in the plunger setup that the swarmfire has. Plus the spring leaves alot to be desired, so that's also a limit on the maximum pressure (P=F/A). So you have low pressure AND low volume to work with. Air blasters use low volume, but high pressure, where as springers use high volume and lower pressure to operate a hoppered feeding system.

Look, you don't need to use this (rather shitty) science to build you blasters, but get a feel for things. Use your intuition. If you think it's going to work, try it out. The worst case is it doesn't and even then you can sometimes fix it or learn from your mistake.

True. However, I thought it had a bigger plunger-volume than 2 cc's

It sounds like you basically want a stampede. Is there a reason you're not going that route?

Yes. I want something that I can easily use my quick-reload homemade mags with without having to do a crap-ton of cut'n'paste.

In line clips are more air efficient than hoppers so, while theirs a chance (in theroy) that they'd work, I think the deal killer will be tipping the blaster downwards to seat the next dart and then bringing it back up and aiming will be nigh impossible while your fully automatic battery powered plunger is dry firing away at unseated darts in your inline clip.

Would this work?
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=23494

#7 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:18 PM

Considering the Longshot can barely be hoppered (albeit to poor effect), that creates a benchmark for "hopperable" blasters that if the volume is lower than a Longshot's (sush as the Swarmfire) then you can be sure it won't be hopperable.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#8 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

Considering the Longshot can barely be hoppered (albeit to poor effect), that creates a benchmark for "hopperable" blasters that if the volume is lower than a Longshot's (sush as the Swarmfire) then you can be sure it won't be hopperable.

Somebody came up with a hopper-rcsb hybrid that is essentially an rcsb with a 45° conduit tube holding the clip up at an angle. Would that work?

#9 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:04 PM

No. The plunger tube is too small.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#10 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:22 PM

Honestly, the Swarmfire already has enough shots, so an inline clip would only be beneficial for quicker reloading.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#11 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

Somebody came up with a hopper-rcsb hybrid that is essentially an rcsb with a 45° conduit tube holding the clip up at an angle. Would that work?

No one has tried this before. Everyone has chimed in with their best advice. It's time for you to either try it yourself or give up.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users