Attention Wisconsin and Upper Illinois Nerfers

I need some feedback on an idea

2 replies to this topic

#1 Gin

Gin

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:35 AM

So I am sure most of us have heard of Thunderdome by now. I was think while it is an awesome idea, having an arena in your back yard is a little bit cramped. I propose buying 2.5 Acres of land slightly south of Green Bay to create our own Thunderdome. I would like to have it within range of the Chicago nerfers as I have heard their wars are often cut short. Its a large project but if enough of us go in on this we could make it a reality. Ownership would belong to the community, not just 1 or 2 people. At this point I just want to get feedback on the idea. I figure it would give us a safe place to nerf and if done well could draw more people to our beloved hobby. Post your thoughts below and think about if you would be willing to help set this up. I would buy the whole thing if I could but I work at a factory and get minimum wage so it would take decades for me to buy the land let alone build the arena. Pardon me rambling, I tend to do so when I like an idea :P
Leader of the Wrecking Crew, Student of Ninjitsu and Kendo, Avid Otaku, Metal head, Amateur engineer, and In my spare time I kill zombies. I'll sleep when I'm dead... 'Till then, There ain't no rest for the Wicked.

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:13 PM

While in theory the idea sounds fantastic you're going to run into a number of fairly substantial hurdles, including how funds will be split, people entering/leaving the hobby, and let's not mention taxes/bylaws/paranoid people.

Anyways, I think you'd be better off waiting until you were in a financially stable position, purchasing land in an appropriate area, and then billing it as an outdoor paintball/nerf/airsoft arena, letting people rent it out/use it. If you wanted to drum up more interest you could easily just host the nerf wars for free (seeing that you'd own the land anyways), and due to the nature of the clientele you MAY be able to draw some of the people from those crowds as well. If I recall correctly, airsoft and paintball are pretty popular among those parts, and if you're not looking to make any profit you wouldn't necessarily have to be quite as worried the whole thing. That being said at that point you're going to be running a business (something I have no direct experience with but I'm sure many members here can attest to the difficulty of it).

The real problem with community-based things that have a very high cost is that if at any point there's a funding issue (either to people not paying up/lull in interest/theft), the owner (I'm assuming it'd be you) would be essentially screwed.

#3 Gin

Gin

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:26 AM

the owner (I'm assuming it'd be you) would be essentially screwed.

Actually due to my insurance I can't own land otherwise they think I'm better off than I really am. Its a pain. I was planing on working out a deal with my Step-dad so he would be the "owner" on paper. Same sentiment though.

Edited by Gin, 29 May 2015 - 08:30 AM.

Leader of the Wrecking Crew, Student of Ninjitsu and Kendo, Avid Otaku, Metal head, Amateur engineer, and In my spare time I kill zombies. I'll sleep when I'm dead... 'Till then, There ain't no rest for the Wicked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users