Photo

Accuracy mods

10 replies to this topic

#1 Noah-641

Noah-641

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:44 PM

I couldn't help but notice that most mods are about range and almost none regard accuracy. I don't know of too many types of mods so, I'd like to ask hopefully some more experienced people. What are some ways to improve a nerf gun's accuracy?

Thank you in advance to anyone who contributes.

(and I apologize in advance if this post is worthy of a warning)

Edited by Noah-641, 23 May 2015 - 07:17 PM.

#2 Mattakers

Mattakers

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

I don't think there is a way to increase the accuracy of the nerf gun, but by modifying the darts you can improve accuracy. The reason streamlines curve while flying is the because of the hole on the head of the nerf dart. Many people use suction cup darts because they don't have the hole in the rubber head. Though I haven't tested it out yet, here is a mod that should increase accuracy.

Hope that helps,
Mattakers

#3 Birch

Birch

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:30 PM

A lack of accuracy is almost never due to the blaster the dart it is fired from. The biggest reason hitting a target can be difficult with a Nerf blaster is that the darts most people use are inherently aerodynamically flawed. Also barrels can have an effect, but not quite as major as the darts.

The best thing you can do to solve the issue of flawed darts is to make stefan darts. Some people ban those types of darts due to safety concerns, but honestly they are perfectly safe. Stefan darts are very constant and accurate, if made well.

Since you were asking about mods, I will add my suggestions. As I previously stated, most accuracy (or lack therein), stems from the darts. Mods can help, though. If you are using flywheel blasters I recommend brassing the flywheels. Many people say this is bad and is detrimental to performance, but I had no such experience when I performed the mod on my stryfe. For springers, not much can be done. Extending the effective barrel in high volume springers can add a little amount of accuracy.

It's like a Hurricane ate a Tornado and shat out a Monsoon!!

#4 Lunas

Lunas

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:29 PM

For accuraccy mods you have 2 places you can change things the barrel or the darts you fire.

Darts you run into allowable vs not allowable and you have to worry about getting yours back at the end. So that leaves the barrel you can brass them and it helps but can decrease ranges...

i believe koush darts are allowed and also fix most of what causes the issues with nerf but you will probably loose alot of them.

modding the darts you can make nerf darts better by filling the tips with hot glue but this may not be allowed also reduces the range on them.

#5 blazenb

blazenb

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

Putting fishing line in your blasters barrel is common in Singapore its supposed to act like a "rifled" barrel
Er mer gerd it's batman nahnahnahnahnahnahnahnahnahnah BATMAN!!!

#6 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:34 AM

Well, it IS much easier to partake in the dick-measuring competition of 'look how far I can make my blaster spit foam!' than to makethe more subtle change of accuracy.
I personally don't care about accuracy. Who cares if you can make a blaster hit within a rat's ass of where you had aimed?
(I make up for the deficiency in quality with proficiency in quantity.)

(and I apologize in advance if this post is worthy of a warning)

Never mention being warned. There'll always be a [insert favorite slur, insult, pejorative, profanity, or other such <sarcasm> nice </ sarcasm> words] moderator just waiting for you to make said new by mistake.

I know how to help you because I have broken every rule in the book.

#7 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:16 PM

Darts are like 80% of accuracy.

A lot of stock darts are inherently inaccurate: elite darts and streamlines, notably. Taggers are also sort of wonky. Suction cup darts are the best, whether they be the old style or the new elite streamline suctions. Koosh darts are also fairly accurate.

The accuracy of homemade darts depends mostly on quality of construction. Some designs are inherently more accurate than others, but that's outweighed by the craftsmanship that goes into the darts. Make good darts and they'll shoot straight.

Blasters themselves can be inaccurate. Wobbly components, crooked barrels, bad ergonomics, all can mess up accuracy. The way you hold a blaster can affect accuracy - a loose grip is better for springers. The way you pull the trigger can affect accuracy - you can slightly skew the blaster when you shoot.

The takeaway is: there aren't really any "accuracy mods" you can do. Just use good darts, make sure your blaster is put together well, and actually practice shooting your blaster.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 25 May 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#8 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

a heavier dart will fly straighter and wont be blown around by wind as much as a lighter/smaller one, but see how long you can shoot massively heavy darts at people until they get real upset

Never mention being warned. There'll always be a [insert favorite slur, insult, pejorative, profanity, or other such <sarcasm> nice </ sarcasm> words] moderator just waiting for you to make said new by mistake.

we dont use slurs here, we're PC as fuck

trans as shit because fuck you

#9 Lunas

Lunas

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:14 AM

a heavier dart will fly straighter and wont be blown around by wind as much as a lighter/smaller one, but see how long you can shoot massively heavy darts at people until they get real upset

we dont use slurs here, we're PC as fuck

yep also dont get used to a 7kg spring those springers can make stock darts hit hard with the ar bored out.

#10 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:00 AM

Several years ago I wrote an article on a few possible ways to improve accuracy and precision. Some of these ways were mention here already, but check out my article if you want more.

Putting fishing line in your blasters barrel is common in Singapore its supposed to act like a "rifled" barrel

There's no evidence such a thing works. It's purely subjective, and a placebo effect at best.

#11 Gin

Gin

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:58 AM

Although it is possible to improve accuracy, Measuring how much the accuracy is improved is quite difficult as the human mind tends to want to believe that it is working.... like doom said about the "SCAR" barrel (fishing line) its really more of a Placebo.... But between being hard to measure accuracy and wanting it to be successful many "see" results using it. In reality all its doing is slowing the dart down.
Leader of the Wrecking Crew, Student of Ninjitsu and Kendo, Avid Otaku, Metal head, Amateur engineer, and In my spare time I kill zombies. I'll sleep when I'm dead... 'Till then, There ain't no rest for the Wicked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users