Photo

Difference between Epoxy and Epoxy Putty?

I'm confused

3 replies to this topic

#1 frenchdavid50

frenchdavid50

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

So I'm gonna start modding and I want to pick up some supplies for integration. However, I don't know the difference between epoxy and epoxy putty. I know epoxy is for whenever plastic and plastic go together and you put epoxy putty around the outside. But I don't see the difference. Also, the epoxies I'm seeing are sold in a syringe. How do I use that to weld pieces together?

#2 Duke Wintermaul

Duke Wintermaul

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

I believe it was Ice9 who said "you can either do this, or you can't".

I'll try and correct a few of your misconceptions.

Epoxy is a two stage liquid adhesive that must be mixed before application, and Epoxy Putty is a two stage solid adhesive that must be mixed before application.

If you are trying to integrate two Nerf ABS shells I recommend you pick up a tube of Marine epoxy putty and a vial of Methacrylate liquid epoxy. Marine putty is used on the external bond of the shell; you don't have to use Marine but I've found it is one of the easiest to apply and can be molded and shaped quite easily after both initial chemical mixture and by sanding it down after it has fully set. Methacrylate liquid epoxy isn't actually epoxy, but you'll find it branded and sold right along side them. Methacrylate adhesives actually chemically bond with the plastic shell and will actually outlive the ABS plastic, perfect for the internal integration bond. Methacrylates are commonly sold as "Plastic Bonder", the most popular brand is Devcon simply because almost all of their products are methacrylate; but always check the back of the package to make sure you have the right stuff.

#3 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

Basically Epoxy acts as a extremely strong glue which holds things together and is in liquid form. Epoxy puddy is more of a structural thing. You can get it in tubes ( I get mine at Walmart) and it is basically a puddy that hardens into a concrete like material which is used to reinforce bonds. So if you wanted to integrate shell pieces, Epoxy would be for the initial bond between shells, and Epoxy Puddy would be put on after to reinforce and smoothen out the integration. Hope this helped.
EDIT: To be honest, just what Duke said.

Edited by Thorn, 22 May 2015 - 05:50 PM.

#4 Lunas

Lunas

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:43 PM

epoxy putty is very messy to use i recommend using gloves with both. It is basically play-doh mixed with the liquid epoxy it does not adhere as good as the liquid both dry hard and brittle.
The liquid leaves a thinner coat the putty is used to fill gaps both can be sanded to get the finish you want. And since you can make a big block of the putty it works well for structural joints. Both can flake or break off if you don't prep the joint right.

I once used a tube of the liquid to fix the hinges on a laptop the next time i tried the putty the liquid seemed to do a better job but i had issues keeping it where i wanted it that is why i tried the putty the next time neither as far as i know have failed yet and that was several years now... The putty ended up taking longer to hold and i dont think it was ever as secure as the liquid the liquid ended up with the laptop working like new.

Edited by Lunas, 22 May 2015 - 08:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users