Photo

Best nerf gun to loan out

27 replies to this topic

#1 Noah-641

Noah-641

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:55 PM

I'm looking for something cheap, magazine fed, and that I can loan out to people without having to explain much to them. What would you recommend and where can I acquire a large quantity of them?

#2 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:27 AM

Pretty much any blaster they sell in stores fits what you are looking for.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#3 Birch

Birch

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:45 AM

Yeah, TED is pretty much right. For specifics, I would get a couple of retaliators and put orange mod works springs in them, but leaving the AR intact.

It's like a Hurricane ate a Tornado and shat out a Monsoon!!

#4 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

I second Birches statement, just thrift retaliators too if you can, you only need the main blaster. Don't take any locks out either, noobs need them,

#5 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:12 PM

I'm reluctant to give noobs clip fed's - even if they still have the locks in. They'll always find a way to jam it up. My go-to loaners are ruff cuts. They're impossible to screw up... "Darts go here, prime here, squeeze trigger fully to shoot both sides...." You still get 8 shots, they're easy to keep fed and they have decent stock range.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#6 tetsuhau

tetsuhau

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:06 AM

Simple, light, clip fed? Sounds like you need a raider/rampage. Some tweaking and new springs and they're a great go to. slamfire too.

#7 Maniacal Coyote

Maniacal Coyote

On Increasingly Thin Ice

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:57 AM

I'm looking for something cheap, magazine fed, and that I can loan out to people without having to explain much to them. What would you recommend and where can I acquire a large quantity of them?

Get some bloody Stryfes and take out the locks. Any idiot/little kid can use a Stryfe.

Idiot-proof instructions:
  • Shove this in here.
  • Hold this down.
  • Squeeze this.

I know how to help you because I have broken every rule in the book.

#8 Noah-641

Noah-641

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

I'm reluctant to give noobs clip fed's - even if they still have the locks in. They'll always find a way to jam it up. My go-to loaners are ruff cuts. They're impossible to screw up... "Darts go here, prime here, squeeze trigger fully to shoot both sides...." You still get 8 shots, they're easy to keep fed and they have decent stock range.

I've actually considered the Rough cut. The problem however is that I've seen when fired, sometimes darts pop out of their chambers, preventing them from firing next. Is there a way to fix that?

#9 Noah-641

Noah-641

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:13 PM

Yeah, TED is pretty much right. For specifics, I would get a couple of retaliators and put orange mod works springs in them, but leaving the AR intact.

I'd definitely go with the retaliator, but I can't find them in stores anymore. Are they discontinued or something?

#10 ExAlpha

ExAlpha

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

I've actually considered the Rough cut. The problem however is that I've seen when fired, sometimes darts pop out of their chambers, preventing them from firing next. Is there a way to fix that?

You can try rebarreling the Roughcut with brass tube for a tighter fit. Just make sure the brass does not interfere with the smart air restrictors.

Edited by ExAlpha, 13 May 2015 - 04:46 PM.

Call me Timo. Captain Timo.

#11 Birch

Birch

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:43 PM

I'd definitely go with the retaliator, but I can't find them in stores anymore. Are they discontinued or something?

No, they just have a different paint scheme. They are white now. Your store may also just not carry them.

It's like a Hurricane ate a Tornado and shat out a Monsoon!!

#12 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:35 PM

Noobs can mess up anything, you'd have to be prepared for that. Also, get a ton of darts, noobs can chew through those too,

#13 Noah-641

Noah-641

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

Noobs can mess up anything, you'd have to be prepared for that. Also, get a ton of darts, noobs can chew through those too,

Point taken. That's why I'm ordering a box of 400 darts and seeking out whichever gun is least likely to be messed up by noobs

#14 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:29 PM

Keeping your darts in good shape will help significantly. Don't store them in the blaster or clips. That will squish them and reduce the fill factor of the foam when they're loaded and ready. Store them so they won't get crushed. Rebarreling with brass will help, but only until the foam squishes down to the new smaller diameter of the brass instead. Once the darts aren't a tight fit - they won't stay seated well regardless of barrel diameter.

Straw modding the darts will help the dart retain rigidity too - but the added weight of the straw might also affect accuracy. It's a trade off.

Edited by shmmee, 14 May 2015 - 10:29 PM.

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#15 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:55 PM

You know what, stryfe is probably better because if it chews up a dart you can clear the jam easier and won't bite darts, but still retaliators are pretty good. 400 can be burned all in one day, depends how many people you're issuing too. Use koosh darts lol,

Edited by Snoop Doggy doge, 15 May 2015 - 08:14 AM.

#16 Lunas

Lunas

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:03 AM

Loaner strong arm, spectre, retaliator. Basically if it is over 20 in cost or overly complex to use don't loan if it is something that you care if it goes missing or gets broken dont loan. If it is a reliable stockish weapon perfect.

dont loan your custom
dont loan a diggery do
dont loan your rolex

#17 Noah-641

Noah-641

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:24 PM

You know what, stryfe is probably better because if it chews up a dart you can clear the jam easier and won't bite darts, but still retaliators are pretty good. 400 can be burned all in one day, depends how many people you're issuing too. Use koosh darts lol,

but that noise tho

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

MAYBE YOU MEANT TO SEND THAT AS A TEXT MESSAGE AND NOT A FORUM POST.

Edited by Ice Nine, 15 May 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#18 BroWatchoutForThatWombat

BroWatchoutForThatWombat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:43 PM

When I was very young (I think around 7 or 8) I used a Retaliator and loved it and it only jammed once or twice even though it was my first clip fed blaster.

int wombats;

int love  = 0;

wombats = love;

if ( wombats == love )

{

cout << "Wombats are love, Wombats are life" << endl;

return 0;

}

#19 FoamsFired

FoamsFired

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

Get Jolts cheap, spring, quick loading, mobile.

#20 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:19 AM

My go-to loaners are ruff cuts. They're impossible to screw up... "Darts go here, prime here, squeeze trigger fully to shoot both sides...." You still get 8 shots, they're easy to keep fed and they have decent stock range.

The darts tend to pop out of roughcuts though, and I've had sticky pumps before as well. Still one of the better suggestions here. Honestly with a few minutes of instruction I've given noobs Rapidstrikes and they've been fine. The automatics have the advantage that there is no user actuation to mess up, so you won't get your pump stuck on a half-lock and break it when you try to force it back or something. Rapidstrikes are cheap if you know where to look. I think walmart.com had them for something ridiculous like $27 or something. This was around Christmas, so maybe it's more like 33, but retaliators are mid-twenties anyway these days.

Edited by Aeromech, 10 January 2016 - 01:20 AM.

Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#21 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:18 AM

Strongarms are good for loaning too. I don't think I've seen one permanently jammed. 

This thread is a bit old but why not, 

#22 tycho

tycho

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:22 AM

I would go for a stryfe with the dart lock removed,pretty easy to use.

Strongarms are good for loaning too. I don't think I've seen one permanently jammed. 
This thread is a bit old but why not,

strongarms ain't hard to jam,if you go just a little bit to fast it jams

#23 C-A 99

C-A 99

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

Now that enough people have necroed this thread... In 2016, the list of best buys have shuffled a bit. Behold, the Buzz Bee Sentinel! Cheap, NIB, makes for a loaner if the person using it knows how to deal with springers. The 20-dart mags are relatively cheap too, at least by retail standards.

Otherwise, go for that thrifted Retaliator, Strongarm, Stryfe, etc. if you don't want to spend too much money on stock-class loaners.

Edit: Re Aeromech's post: Darts popping out seem to be a problem with any smart AR system: Rough Cut, Triad, and perhaps Double Strike.

Edited by C-A 99, 10 January 2016 - 08:08 PM.

#24 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:10 PM

a nitefinder/firestrike/stormfire/etc with a better spring, nearly impossible to break and the most straightforward you can get. 

of you're feeling sassy slap a coupler on it and give them a couple speedloaders and they'll be set for cheap

trans as shit because fuck you

#25 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:56 PM

The reason I avoid loaning out any variation of clip fed springers - especially lock/AR removed ones is that I'll invariably have it returned with either a dart pushed back into the plunger cavity, or two darts double loaded into the barrel. It's happened more times than I care to count. It's so much easier to stick to any type of front loader when loaning out blasters. 

~BritNerfMogul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users