Question

6 replies to this topic

#1 F man 47

F man 47

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:15 PM

Dear all,

I have rewired my Stryfe and removed all the locks. I am currently running 4 rechargeable batteries at 1.2v each. My question is if I can wire in another battery pack which will hold 2 more 1.2v rechargeable batteries will the 6 batteries in total will affect the stryfe. My stryfe also uses stock motors. I do not want to purchase IMR's or trustfires as I have many rechargeable batteries at home since my family uses them.

Thanks

#2 Guest_TheSilverhead_*

Guest_TheSilverhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:31 AM

7.2v? Yeah, stock motors should be fine. You won't be gaining a whole lot of performance. Remember, when motors have their voltage increased, they ask for more amps to get moving. Rechargeable AA's don't have much amperage, so you're not going to see a huge result. If you're staying near-stock, I wouldn't bother with the extra cells.

#3 Droid31

Droid31

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:28 PM

If you want to get a good performance gain try something like this.
This is what I ended up doing with my stryfe and it is freaking awesome. Firing viedo I got this battery and charger. With these motors. This thing is amazing!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Droid31, 27 April 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#4 Lunas

Lunas

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

you could using the 1.2 v rechargeable go with a motor swap race motors like the plasma dash or hyper dash are meant to run at those voltages rather than the over volt the imr give...

if i may ask why so afraid of imr my charger does the 1.2v rechargeable too and i use the 14500 size in a few of my flashlights too... and i have my rapidstrike setup to run off 18650...

#5 F man 47

F man 47

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:12 AM

you could using the 1.2 v rechargeable go with a motor swap race motors like the plasma dash or hyper dash are meant to run at those voltages rather than the over volt the imr give...

if i may ask why so afraid of imr my charger does the 1.2v rechargeable too and i use the 14500 size in a few of my flashlights too... and i have my rapidstrike setup to run off 18650...

I'd like to use 1.2v rechargeable batteries because my family bought a bunch for household use, so using those to power the stryfe will make the most out of the batteries.

#6 Lunas

Lunas

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:46 PM

I'd like to use 1.2v rechargeable batteries because my family bought a bunch for household use, so using those to power the stryfe will make the most out of the batteries.

but that simply is not true it will reduce the number of rechargeable for other devices that are used in your household that would make better use of the low amperage low voltage batteries... Also NiMH go bad just like every other chemistry you will burn them out quicker than the devices currently using them.

there is no getting around the fact that NiMH AA batteries are not the optimal cell for this application Li-MN lasts longer preforms better and is over all better served in this case and lipo is even better...

if you absolutely must use the 1.2v NiMH batteries then i recommend a motor swap rather than strapping more cells onto your rig...

plasma dash or mach dash they are meant to run off 3-4.5v that would be the better option vs strapping a battery holder and cutting the end plate in half in the gun and connecting the extra holder to extend the battery bay by 2

#7 Astech

Astech

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:00 AM

I have rewired my Stryfe and removed all the locks. I am currently running 4 rechargeable batteries at 1.2v each. My question is if I can wire in another battery pack which will hold 2 more 1.2v rechargeable batteries will the 6 batteries in total will affect the stryfe. My stryfe also uses stock motors. I do not want to purchase IMR's or trustfires as I have many rechargeable batteries at home since my family uses them.

Quick question: By removing locks locks do you include the thermistor?
If so, then using recgargeables is not the way to go. Specking from personal experience (as a dedicated stryfe user), once the thermistor is removed simple AA Alkalines will serve you far better. Rechargeable batteries simply don't have the mAH (Battery life) to be practical. At full speed, four Alkalines can last many hours, if they're good quality. Additionally, they can supply enough current that removing the thermistor produces a noticeable (if small) difference in power.
If not, go with the rechargeable batteries. With a thermistor in place, resistance will continually be added with each additional battery. Therefore, keep the original four. If you're not going for a high powered beast of a machine, keep the four originals and don't add any more. The performance increase is equivalent to removing the thermistor and using alkalines instead, which is just about as cheap if you're not playing heavily every day.
In conclusion, you'll never get great performance out of rechargeable NiMH batteries. they're not built for it.

Edited by Astech, 24 May 2015 - 05:33 AM.

I've always wanted to be a pilot. Then I'll have an excuse to keep my head in the clouds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users