Photo

Super loud flywheels

9 replies to this topic

#1 Hermsmegerms

Hermsmegerms

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:42 PM

I just picked up my first rapid strike, I plan on replacing the motors with some I saw recommended on here, and I plan to rewire it.
As a noob to modding nerf (but not a noob when it comes to electronics), how can I try to quiet down the flywheels a bit?
I mean I know I will never have a silent gun and that's not what I want, but they really roar I can't even talk over them when they are spinning.

I have searched around a bit and can't really find any one with a similar issue to mine.
Any insight would be great!

#2 Guest_TheSilverhead_*

Guest_TheSilverhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

Depends on how advanced you want to get. Most of the noise comes from imbalances, which leads to vibrations through the shell. You can mitigate it in several ways. First, balance the flywheels. You can look up some R/C tutorials on this. It mostly involves some advanced sensors and computer programs, which your local hobby shop may have available. Second, break in your motors. This one's controversial, but for the most part, it can't hurt to 'set' the bushings by running them. Azreal has a good tutorial on his blog. Third, pad/isolate the vibrations. Put goop, foam, or something else between the motors and the cage, the halves of the cage, the cage and the shell, and the halves of the shell. Also secure/insulate loose parts that can rattle. Additionally, you can add sound damping material (anything from foam to Dynamat) to absorb the vibrations that make it through.

#3 Duke Wintermaul

Duke Wintermaul

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:37 PM

Everything above.

I've never had any issues with my monster flywheel builds, I mean of course they're loud but what do we expect pushing a system to it's limits like we are?

You also might look into electronic braking. I've seen a few builds that utilize this, although it won't make your blaster any quieter it will drastically reduce the wind down time of the flywheels. This will shorten the amount of time they are spinning after you break the circuit and thus shorten the amount of time they are making noise. Doesn't help much, but I've always felt trying to sound dampen a flywheel system to be futile.

Good luck.

Edited by Duke Wintermaul, 08 April 2015 - 08:37 PM.

#4 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:56 AM

I actually have a can of liquid sound deadener waiting for me to finish the WIP Demolisher. I shall be conducting before and after noise testing, and will be posting the results.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#5 Gin

Gin

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

I actually have a can of liquid sound deadener waiting for me to finish the WIP Demolisher. I shall be conducting before and after noise testing, and will be posting the results.

I'll have to be on the lookout for that as I had been toying with the idea myself. I have some foam seat cushions you can buy from walmart in the craft department I was planing on using to make a hitman-esque rifle in a brief case, might use the scraps to see how well that works as well. I believe it is polyurethane but I can not say for sure.

EDIT: stuff was pretty cheap too if I remember correctly

Edited by Gin, 09 April 2015 - 07:57 AM.

Leader of the Wrecking Crew, Student of Ninjitsu and Kendo, Avid Otaku, Metal head, Amateur engineer, and In my spare time I kill zombies. I'll sleep when I'm dead... 'Till then, There ain't no rest for the Wicked.

#6 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:12 PM

I believe it is polyurethane but I can not say for sure.

Typically, yes, that type of foam is polyurethane.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#7 Hermsmegerms

Hermsmegerms

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:37 AM

Thank you for all the replies, i will try some of the things silverhead recommended,

i am having a lot of fun with modding this thing, so much so in fact, that i bought a second gun to play around with, just a boom co whipblast because it was supper cheap and on clearance. I removed its peg and added a better seal on the plunger, as well as tightening the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. Overall i am pretty happy with that smaller project and plan to give it a Borderlands 2 hyperion paint job.

Edited by Hermsmegerms, 10 April 2015 - 07:38 AM.

#8 Lunas

Lunas

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

well you can also line most of the gun with neoprene craft foam as a sound insulator and is it at stock voltages? if your running it off c batteries right now you might not like doing any voltage mods as they all make it louder... i run mine on 2 18650 imr efest v2 for 7.4-8.4v it is about 33% louder than it was on c cells.

#9 Hermsmegerms

Hermsmegerms

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:40 AM

Yeah i still have it running at stock voltage. I don't know if i will be playing with that side of things on my first mod

#10 Lunas

Lunas

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:47 PM

a voltage mod is not hard improves the performance greatly but makes it louder in exchange for longer distance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users