Photo

Hot glue gun recomendation

6 replies to this topic

#1 Simmons572

Simmons572

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

Hello there nerf haven. As silly as this may seem, I need a recommendation for decent hot glue gun that won't melt my foam.

I am using McMaster-Carr Grey FBR (93295K33), and I am using Ryan201821's Dart Guide.

I picked up a Surebonder DT-200KIT mini glue gun, as I thought that the dual temperature setting would be low enough not to melt my foam. Unfortunately, even on the low setting, it eats through my foam.

I'm pretty sure that the hot glue gun is just too hot, so I am willing to try exchanging my glue gun for another one. What glue guns would you all recommend?

#2 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

All high temp glue guns will melt McMaster foam. It should survive a low temp setting, however, I've found that darts made with low temp glue have poor structural integrity. The heads are literally 50x more likely to break off when impacting any solid surface. Your best bet is to not use McMaster foam, it sucks and is horribly inconsistent anyway (I used that stuff for several years). If even the low temp is melting it, then you got a bad batch.

Edited by Duxburian, 11 March 2015 - 11:37 AM.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#3 Simmons572

Simmons572

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

As much as I didn't want that to be true, I had a hunch that was the case.. I am going to continue to use the stuff since I still have a good 200' left.

Thanks for the info Duxburian.

#4 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:46 PM

If you're making domes, you're kind of fucked, *but* if you're making slugs, there is one thing you can do. Burn a smaller hole than normal in the foam, stick the washer to the felt bumper, dab glue on the washer, connect the foam blank, and then *immediately* dunk the dart in a bowl of icewater.

An alternative is to simply use super glue instead of hot glue until your batch of foam is used up. Small 3 packs of super glue are going for about $1 at Harbor Freight right now, it's fairly cheap and the heads won't break off on impact, super glue stefans are very durable.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#5 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

With non-Kane batches of foam (I've used McMaster foam for several years, but never had significant problems with it), I've found the best way to make slugs is to not burn any hole at all, and just put a blob of glue straight on the end. the heat from the glue will begin to form a crater and the washer/pad combo will not only strongly adhere, but it should sink in enough as the glue cools to cover the washer with the sides of the foam. You might try it with the glue gun set to low and see if that works any better for you, if you are indeed making slug darts.

I only use a high-temp hot glue gun, and I regulate its temperature (poorly) by periodically unplugging it from the wall. JLego's ingenious solution was to rig up a power cable with one of those light dimmers, so he could give his high-temperature gun highly variable temperature settings. If you ask nicely he may appear and post pictures of it.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#6 Simmons572

Simmons572

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

@Duxburian

I am making slugs, not glue domes. I figured since I am having some difficulties with the slugs that I should just keep working at it until I master it. I may go down the super glue route if it continues to be a pain in the rear, but for now I think I'll keep trying with the hot glue.

@Ice Nine

I will definitely give that method a shot. Seeing as low temp is melting the foam already, I don't think there should be too many issues with your proposed method. so

I am intrigued by the light dimmer modification. I've just been hitting the switch on my power strip to regulate the temp, but that is a bit of a pain. I was considering modding a power switch onto my glue gun cable, but the dimmer would probably be a better solution.

I would also love to see some photos of JLego's glue gun. Not sure if I should PM him or just wait and see if he see's this, so I will just hang out for a bit.

#7 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:18 AM

Like Ice said, you don't have to burn a hole. I leave one in the middle lightly to let glue sink in deeper (not mandated), and put put hot glue near the middle and let it spread, but not till the edge. The glue would sink in after a few seconds and you can put the dart head on top. It takes a bit of practice, but after 40 or so tries you'll get the hang of it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users