Photo

ZS Doublestrike - Fix for Smart AR leak when priming

3 replies to this topic

#1 redDKtie

redDKtie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

So, this is my first Mod post, so bear with me.

I noticed when I bought this blaster that when I primed the hammer, the top barrel would leak air pushing the dart out. During a Nerf war, this would be quite bad. So, here's my solution.

Now, what I found was that the problem only occurred when I "Over-primed" the hammer. Bringing the hammer back this far caused the plunger to bump forward, pushing air where there is no room for air, so the smart AR gives way, and air leaks out.
Posted Image

Here's me discovering exactly how for the blaster must be primed in order to secure the trigger
https://plus.google.com/photos/yourphotos?pid=6118745632282775186&oid=111660975706795951307

I needed something to stop me from over-priming. Because when darts start flying, I'm NOT going to be thinking about how far back to pull the hammer, I'm looking for a quick shot. My solution is a little barbaric, but it works like a charm.
Posted Image

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but you get the idea:

1. you need drill, a drill bit, a nail slightly thinner than the drill bit, and a hammer.

2. hammer down the pointy end of the nail, for safety!

3. drill 2 holes near the back of the blaster. one on each side. The ideal location is where the hammer seemed to be at it's best position for priming without over-priming. This is a little touchy, and not an exact science, which is why you see that my nail is bent. I recommend drilling a little further up the blaster so you have room to adjust back by bending the nail.

Here you can see the end of the nail with glue. the nail goes all the way through to the other side.
Posted Image

4. Insert the nail through the holes and try to prime the hammer with 2 darts loaded. You may find that your hammer cannot go far back enough to prime. THAT'S OK! just take the nail out, bent it a little, and re-inserted it through the holes. repeat this process until you're able to prime the hammer without OVER-priming and letting air escape.

5. Once you're sure you've found the perfect nail-bending position, glue it so It doesn't fall out. Let the glue dry in the primed position. so it glues at the right angle.

Now you should be able to prime your Doublestrike without fear of over priming. I fired mine about 20 times after the glue dried and I haven't over-primed once. My darts stay in place, and now I have a fancy new, HvZ ready side arm.

I apologize again for the lack of pictures. This was mainly an experiment gone right, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer. Thanks!

EDIT:
So, after extensive use, I have good news and bad new,

the GOOD news: I never once even came close to scratching my thumb on the nail. I don't even come close to it. I hammered down the point so much that I'm pretty sure drawing blood is impossible.
the BAD news: I need to re-adjust the nail. sometimes my trigger gets stuck while priming. lame. but fixable.

Edited by redDKtie, 04 March 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#2 pop tart

pop tart

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:25 PM

Nice work! You could also use a long screw and a nut on the other side, it wouldn't look half bad.

#3 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:08 PM

I'd be sure to file that down as flush as you can with the shell. Then maybe dot over it with some epoxy to form a "soft" coating over the metal. I can see bloodying up my thumb trying to prime this without looking.
Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#4 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:05 AM

Pretty good idea! I'll have to fix some blasters with it.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users