Doubledown...Single Project

Good Bye Smart AR

5 replies to this topic

#1 racer188

racer188

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:59 AM

After being disappointed after boiling open the doubledown, see me other post Here on the General Forum

I decided the smart AR was simply too weak and there is potential for the plunger tube.

Here is my mock up. A singledown

Posted Image

Just need to figure out what I want to do for the breech.

Time to put that hamster back on the wheel to generate ideas

#2 racer188

racer188

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

Project Nerf Doubledown Mod done...Introducing the new Singledown

-Removed smart AR all together
-opened up plunger tube to match with the 1/2 PVC coupler. Did some sanding to help smooth the air flow.
-coupler bonded to plunger tube with plastic bonder epoxy (this stuff works wonders, just don't expect to reverse it)
-1/2 PVC conduit for the barrel cut for the entire length of dart
-17/32s brass fitted inside the 1/2 conduit with e-tape and e6000 to hold it in place
-moved orignial iron sight from doubledown and fused it onto the pvc conduit
-5KG OMW Retaliator + Original spring. O-ring and plunger padding all stock. (love these new plunger heads with the rubber padding)
-the way the plunger tube is mounted to the handle it needs some spacers to keep it from wobbling

This thing is now a very nice side arm. The PVC color scheme matched nicely. Probably going to leave the color scheme as is and try to remove the printing on the PVC with acetone or something.

Chrony results were eye opening! And yes, it leaves welts! (tested with new elites)

Stock Doubledown = 50ish fps with occasional highs for 60
New Singledown = 95ish fps avg with highs of 109 -112 fps

Testing in the house, koosh darts fly 40+ feet with still plenty of speed left (I will try to test outside) and nice smack on the wall

Here are the completed pics

The barrel
Posted Image

Posted Image

Internals
Posted Image

Final Product
Posted Image

Edited by racer188, 14 February 2015 - 09:28 PM.

#3 Wyzard

Wyzard

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:49 PM

Do you have a holster picked out for this beast? It seems stream lined enough that you could quick draw it.

#4 racer188

racer188

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:02 PM

Do you have a holster picked out for this beast? It seems stream lined enough that you could quick draw it.

Actually I don't. I'm not sure what I want to do with this one yet. I may just sell it.

#5 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:33 PM

How does this mod compare to something like a singled Nitefinder or Firestrike? It looks like the way the plunger tube sits on top of the shell would make it hard to add big springs without the blaster flying apart.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#6 racer188

racer188

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:58 AM

How does this mod compare to something like a singled Nitefinder or Firestrike? It looks like the way the plunger tube sits on top of the shell would make it hard to add big springs without the blaster flying apart.

Compare as in level of fun? difficulty? or Performance?

I've done both the nitefinder and the firestrike. So far performance wise, the doubledown wins. Granted I did not re-barrel either the firestrike or nitefinder. I did seal them up well and both are firing in the high 90's fps.

As far as the blaster falling apart. I have a 5KG spring plus the stock, maybe 2KG and the only stress would be the priming bar (need to reinforce that a bit). Unless you figure out a way to put a 10+kg spring then you may have a problem. I do believe the plunger tube is larger on the doubledown plus the addition of the padded plunger head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users