Photo

Custom flywheel cage?

Over sized flywheels or RC drift style tires?

20 replies to this topic

#1 tetsuhau

tetsuhau

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:12 PM

Anyone thought about cutting and extending the flywheel cage and putting on larger flywheels? Bigger wheels would increase outside travel, contact surface and with rubber they'd be grippy. Just throwing around ideas.

#2 ravetrooper

ravetrooper

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

I'm actuall working on making a [i]smaller[i/] flywheel cage from 1/8" polycarb. More rpm (hopefully) and small enough to fit in different shells. I like the idea of bigger wheels but you'll have to cut the shell open which might actually end up cooling your motors a little if your over-volting them. Great idea!

Gut the electronics, drill a hole in the shell, and attach a crank to the gear. Bam, crank-action stampede that doesn't require batteries, or even a trigger.

...(also judging by your past posts, I would consider you pretty dang wise elder like in the modding community :lol: )

#3 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

This has been thought of multiple times, but to my best knowledge has not been tested outside of an aussie who put some big aluminum flywheels in a hailfire. I am working on some 45mm aluminum flywheels with rubber rings inset in them. Once I have them made, I plan to run some 180's on 3s and see what FPS they'll achieve. I am doubtfulthat increasing the size of the flywheels will help much at all, as right now the limiting factor is dart slip.

#4 CS- Tiff

CS- Tiff

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

If you make the flywheels bigger, dart slip will be reduced because the flywheels will be closer making the dart able to be squashed more. The Aussie nerfer you are talking about extremely reduced dart slip because he made the flywheels like barricades. They have teeth like gears which help grip. Just like how Rob from SBNC used barricade flywheels in his mega strike because the teeth would help reduce dart slip. In conclusion, I think making a custom bracket for flywheels would be very beneficial. My advice would be to make a flywheel cage which has a lot closer flywheels and use barricade flywheels on it.
EDIT: you just really want a smaller cage and bigger flywheels prefferably with teeth like barricades'

Edited by CS- Tiff, 07 February 2015 - 01:36 PM.

#5 DLO01

DLO01

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

This is the first time I've mentioned this to anyone. I've had 'some/limited' success with using the stock flywheels with road/race push bike inner tube, cut and stretched over the top of the existing flywheels. Although I've had some success, the RPM is too much and even though the bike tube is stretched and firmly hugging positively on to the flywheel the rpm is much to much and it ends up throwing the rubber out and away from the flywheels. I've tried gluing and even this does not work.

*edit* rc drift tyres and the like are simply not going to work for this reason. There is just to much rpm for them to handle.

Edited by DLO01, 07 February 2015 - 07:35 PM.

#6 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:38 PM

This is the first time I've mentioned this to anyone. I've had 'some/limited' success with using the stock flywheels with road/race push bike inner tube, cut and stretched over the top of the existing flywheels. Although I've had some success, the RPM is too much and even though the bike tube is stretched and firmly hugging positively on to the flywheel the rpm is much to much and it ends up throwing the rubber out and away from the flywheels. I've tried gluing and even this does not work.

I used this same approach with my motorized Ballzooka, with the same results. Seems like the perfect idea, but is pretty disappointing.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#7 tetsuhau

tetsuhau

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:48 PM

Ok, I see what you guys are saying. The extreme change of speed along with the high amount of grip is too much and it pulls the tip off. But, what about as an afterburner set up? The dart would already by flying around the 100 fps mark, and just boosted again.

#8 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:13 AM

*edit* rc drift tyres and the like are simply not going to work for this reason. There is just to much rpm for them to handle.

Do you think if the flywheel had an indentation for the innertube section to sit inside it, that it would stay in place? I can get something like this made and test it relatively easily/cheaply.

#9 Lunas

Lunas

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:32 AM

Do you think if the flywheel had an indentation for the innertube section to sit inside it, that it would stay in place? I can get something like this made and test it relatively easily/cheaply.

the centrifugal force is spinning the tube off the wheels only better glue or thermal bonding would help.

#10 tetsuhau

tetsuhau

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:47 AM

My face when I realize I completely misunderstood...

Some of these rc cars do serious speed and the wheels and tires come bonded when you order them.

#11 Lunas

Lunas

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:10 AM

i donno i get pushing the envelope but there is a correlation to how inaccurate a shot it is vs how hard it is flung out you hit this plateau very easy. How many full customs accurately shoot foam over 200 FPS and to how far is that accurate? And i can tell you this 100 fps hits hard enough. Anything higher you might as well just go paintball.

Edited by Lunas, 08 February 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#12 tetsuhau

tetsuhau

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

I'm not so much interested in fps, I know it comes with the territory, but it's not what I'm aiming for. I want distance. I'm going to try it in a Rayven. Xtreme 180's and stefans. 3s lipo. Ebay here I come.

#13 The Juggernaut

The Juggernaut

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:06 PM

I wanna try making a bigger fly wheel cage for MEGA darts
Juggernaut

#14 CS- Tiff

CS- Tiff

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:07 PM

Just use a 'cade cage but cut the front off. It will work really well and have a lot less dart slip.

#15 ravetrooper

ravetrooper

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:28 PM

That's a fantastic idea. I haven't heard any rumors of Nerf working on any flywheel MEGA blasters so it would be awesome if someone here beat them to it. That would DEFINITELY require a custom cage and maybe even a homemade magazine (the biggest and only is the fiver that comes with the centurion) and drop the whole thing in a minimized centurion shell because that's all its good for!

... sorry my brain just threw up on this thread. Carry on.

P.S. If I get measurements/templates for such a thing I will be sure to post it here :)

Edited by ravetrooper, 08 February 2015 - 04:28 PM.

Gut the electronics, drill a hole in the shell, and attach a crank to the gear. Bam, crank-action stampede that doesn't require batteries, or even a trigger.

...(also judging by your past posts, I would consider you pretty dang wise elder like in the modding community :lol: )

#16 Droid31

Droid31

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:25 PM

Hmmm.. I might try and build a mega flywheel blaster.

#17 CS- Tiff

CS- Tiff

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:54 PM

That's a fantastic idea. I haven't heard any rumors of Nerf working on any flywheel MEGA blasters so it would be awesome if someone here beat them to it. That would DEFINITELY require a custom cage and maybe even a homemade magazine (the biggest and only is the fiver that comes with the centurion) and drop the whole thing in a minimized centurion shell because that's all its good for!

... sorry my brain just threw up on this thread. Carry on.

P.S. If I get measurements/templates for such a thing I will be sure to post it here :)

Rob from SBNC's mega strike?

#18 Droid31

Droid31

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

http://britnerf.myfr..._t__t_1421.html

#19 ravetrooper

ravetrooper

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:30 PM

http://britnerf.myfreeforum.org/archive/full-automatic-centurion...-mega-strike__o_t__t_1421.html

Woah. Methinks I may have to attempt this. Thanks for the link!

#20 CS- Tiff

CS- Tiff

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:34 PM

Woah. Methinks I may have to attempt this. Thanks for the link!

Remeber to use 'cade flywheels!

#21 ravetrooper

ravetrooper

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:52 PM

Remeber to use 'cade flywheels!

Yeah, I just got some from Number 1 nerf nut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users