Photo

[IL] Nerf War at Pilcher Park of Joliet (southwest Chicago suburbs)

S.C.S.N.W. present's our first Nerf War, let's kick this off r

20 replies to this topic

#1 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

For more IL based Nerf Wars and a strong growing local community please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook...48408601902750/
Posted Image
Chicago Suburban Nerf Wars (S.C.S.N.W.) Presents...
Posted Image
FOAM-A-GEDDON 2015: a reoccuring Nerf foam blaster war event series
The first war is scheduled to take place at:
Pilcher Park in Joliet, IL

Location: Pilcher Park / 2501 Highland Park Dr. Joliet, IL (parking map coming soon)
Date: Sunday March 8th 2015
Time: 10am-3pm
(Map used by screenshotting google maps then drawing over it in paint/other picture editor)

UPDATE (2-23-15)
Just scouted out Pilcher Park for the ideal location for the war since it is 600 plus acres big. I suggest the Pilcher park grounds adjacent to Bird Haven Greenhouse and Conservatory (225 Gougar Road Joliet, IL). Gouger is right off the expressway for easy access. If you get directions to the conservatory, its the Pilcher Park entrance right next to the conservatory, there is parking, heated bathrooms, and enclosed picnic tables for lunch/staging or trades/sales before and after the event. You'll see parking and a playground equipment setup nearby and know you're in the right place. If you want my contact number ahead of time in event you get lost, PM me and I can provide it.

The park is snow covered but its not deep. the driving trails are cleared (the park portion of the wooded preserve where we will be playing at is most easily accessed from the above instructions given, or can be accessed from the originally posted address by driving through the wooded one way driving trails - your choice).

What to bring:
+ Nerf or similar foam projectile blasters (homemades subject to event host/co-host approval and must utilize stock elite style darts)
+ At least 1 pistol for the pistol rounds. Clipped stuff counts as a pistol if 6-shot clips are used.
+ Melee Weapons. Your melee weapon can only be 1-4 feet long and less than 1 ft wide. Any melee weapon may be disallowed if I deem it unsafe.
+ lots of Foam darts/missles/balls
+ eye protection in the form of safety glasses, sunglasses that cover the eye entirely or goggles/face masks
+ A bag lunch with plenty of water or some other type of drink
+ Appropriate clothing (please be mindful we are in a public park and do not want to disturb the public)
+ blasters for loaning, trading or selling (pre/post game)
+ cash for food / transactions if desired
+ guests participants

What not to bring:

- Slugs/Stefans/Glue domes
- Modified stock ammo
- Overly modified blasters (blasters should be in the range of 100ft or less)
- Realistic looking blasters (if you have a blaster that looks realistic then bring some orange safety tape of your own and wrap it, otherwise it will be banned)

Relevant Information:

~ Don't be afraid to ask questions! The only dumb question is the one not asked.

~ all ages welcome, though most participants are likely late teens to adults. All children must be accompanied by a parent at all times / no exceptions.

~ A hit is defined as the projectile in question changing direction upon the striking the player first. If there is a dispute, the host is right. Please don't break the flow of rounds over hits, it's just a game.

~ Barrel taps: if you think you have to barrel tap with something at a stock-ammo war, you're doing it wrong

~ Limit of 3 weapons/shields on you at anytime. Loose large ammo takes up one "slot"

~ Blasters count as shields

~ Shields are "broken" by large ammo and count as a hit

Agenda:

Chicago Style Meatgrinder

Sieze the Balls

Defend the Core

Capture the flag

3-15

Freeze Tag

Nerf Ball (new game type I plan to pioneer at this event)

After party

(Address for the after party, some local restaurant with places to sit is good. PIzza, sandwhich shops & buffets are good options.)

Edited by markeski, 23 February 2015 - 11:17 AM.

#2 Gears

Gears

The boy who lived

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:01 PM

POPULAR

Will be in attendance with everything required to play Core Penetration.

(There is a new micro brewery in Lemont called Pollyanna that is absolutely incredible. I'll have to see what the distance is like from Joliet)

Edited by Gears, 24 January 2015 - 12:04 PM.

WoW is destroying my life.

-Groove out.

LAWN GNOME LIBERATION FRONT

#3 Bubben246

Bubben246

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

"I just take the heads off of shredded Elites/Streamlines (after cutting the stem down) and (Elmer's School) glue them onto headless Buzzbee darts. I only have stock blasters, and they perform at least as well as stock darts." Would these be considered "modified darts" for the purpose of bans, or is that rule only for hot-glued heads and BBs?

#4 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

"I just take the heads off of shredded Elites/Streamlines (after cutting the stem down) and (Elmer's School) glue them onto headless Buzzbee darts. I only have stock blasters, and they perform at least as well as stock darts." Would these be considered "modified darts" for the purpose of bans, or is that rule only for hot-glued heads and BBs?

I would allow those as they are really just repaired darts. Way to be 'green' :)

#5 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

If you are coming can I please get a reply post for an accurate headcount (if you're already attending via the facebook event invite then just note FB at the end of your comment)

#6 Zombona

Zombona

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

When is the latest you'd like to know about our attendance? I'd love to come but I don't know what will come up between now and then.
I'd don't like to commit to 7 hours of driving (round trip) this far in advance.

#7 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

The sooner the better for letting me know if you are coming. Unless its severe inclement weather I will be there and I know at least a handful of people who aren't going to miss this. This initial war is to serve as the launching point of regular IL wars I plan to host this spring and summer. I want to establish a group of dedicated regulars that will attend these events. Please brings friends/guests and spread the word.

#8 RightyMC

RightyMC

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:14 PM

If there's an open space, I might go to the war.

#9 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

There's unlimited space, the more the merrier, please come and bring a friend or two. The park is 640 acres of land, we will find somewhere suitable for nerfing on the grounds for our group size.

#10 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:19 PM

I've edited the posting rules to allow for protective face masks by popular demand.

#11 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:35 PM

so... Who's in for this Nerf War? I got 10 confirmations from my facebook group. Anyone on here?

#12 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:58 PM

so... Who's in for this Nerf War? I got 10 confirmations from my facebook group. Anyone on here?

I'm probably already confirmed on facebook.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#13 Yacob

Yacob

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

Just to be clear, do you consider "koosh" darts as elite style darts? I simply would rather not drive two and a half hours to get there, and then find out I have the incorrect ammo.

#14 Demon Lord

Demon Lord

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:47 PM

I'm going to try and be there, assuming its not a blizzard.
QUOTE(VACC @ Mar 7 2011, 09:03 AM) View Post

Don't worry so much about what other people will allow. Throw your own wars and kick your friends' asses until they all want one.

#15 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:00 AM

elite darts, whistlers, streamlines, koosh, other ebay knockoff darts, suction darts are all good... the idea is that I wanted to avoid highly overpowered NIC used blasters when I got someone else using a bone stock stryfe. My strong recommendation is just bring anything you may want to use and we determine the practicality of it at the event. Even if someone showed up with only an overpowered homemade and slugs, we would have loaner blasters and darts made available. Everyone in the group is just looking to play some games I think, regardless of type or specifics. A couple of my main blasters include a turret fitted airtech 2k and a big bad bow that fires elites or stefans, so my blasters offer a lot of versatility with power (amount of pumps used as well as ammo types they can shoot).

#16 Yacob

Yacob

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:25 PM

Count me in! I'll have my modded Rayven and stryfe backup for sure.

#17 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:14 AM

Just scouted out Pilcher Park for the ideal location for the war since it is 600 plus acres big. I suggest the Pilcher park grounds adjacent to Bird Haven Greenhouse and Conservatory (225 Gougar Road Joliet, IL). Gouger is right off the expressway for easy access. If you get directions to the conservatory, its the Pilcher Park entrance right next to the conservatory, there is parking, heated bathrooms, and enclosed picnic tables for lunch/staging or trades/sales before and after the event. You'll see parking and a playground equipment setup nearby and know you're in the right place. If you want my contact number ahead of time in event you get lost, PM me and I can provide it.

The park is snow covered but its not deep. the driving trails are cleared (the park portion of the wooded preserve where we will be playing at is most easily accessed from the above instructions given, or can be accessed from the originally posted address by driving through the wooded one way driving trails - your choice).

I also just found out my Uncle has a large plot of private land about a mile from the park which I'm going to try and setup as our site "B" if we are asked to relocate for any reason (which I do not anticipate).

Things I'd like to stress again since the event is very soon approaching:

- dress in layers (if you get hot you can always dress down, 2014 March 8th weather was a comfortable 35-40 degrees, still a couple weeks away so its still a mystery for this year)

- do not forget eye protection, and bring extra in case someone else does, if you want to wear a basic safety mask or goggles you may, don't look overly gaudy or camo'd out, we are in a public park.

- bring enough ammo to sustain yourself, there will be no community source provided at this time, if you want to bring some to share that's your choice. I had originally advised "elite or stockish ammo" for the sake of uniformity with the community bucket, but since there is no community bucket I'm more open to ammo types: suction, ebay/koosh darts, balls, missles, foam arrows, zing bow arrows whatever. If you have silicone dome stefans bring them just in case, but they'll only be used if everyone agrees to them for the given game type.

- if you have one or several, bring single shot front loading blasters (jolt, firestrike, sidestrike, night finders for speciality rounds)

- if you have them, bring foam melee weapons, Nerf brand preferred for uniformity

- bring more then what you think we will need (this applys to gaming supplies, mobstacles, cones, whatever as well as blasters and ammo and water / food) this first war is allowing everything from bone stock to modded blasters and mild home made blasters all subject to the group's and my approval

- if you own a real firearm or other weapon, especially in light of new concealed carry laws in IL, leave it at home or locked in your vehicle during the event - use common sense

- if you have questions, now is the time to ask

- BRING FRIENDS / FAMILY / GUESTS someone will have loaner blasters , lack of blasters should not be a reason not to come.

#18 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:13 AM

If you are coming to the event and haven't RSVP'd to the event already on the facebook page, please do so either in a comment below or on the page today so I can get an accurate head count. Weather is in, looks to be about 41 degrees with low wind and little chance of rain. Game on.

#19 katostr0phic

katostr0phic

• FNG1 
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

I can attend the war, I have a group of 3-4. Most likely 3. I'll need an extra nerfgun for one of them maybe two. None of us have melee weapons so we'll sit out during those rounds. I have to come late since my driver has a work meeting till 10. Sorry for the late response, my friend didn't tell me that he was going to come until now.
Thanks

#20 Yacob

Yacob

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:51 AM

I had mentioned it above, but not on Facebook, but I will be there, and very exited to boot.

#21 markeski

markeski

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:39 AM

So after the end of the first event for the group I'd like to survey the participants with a few questions to better improve future experiences. I get a feeling that everyone enjoyed themselves but I am wandering if there were constructive critiques anyone would like to offer about the game types, rules, facility utilized, time of the event, balance of blaster types, my abilities as host etc. that I can utilize to make an even better experience for us next time.

I know that the new gametypes of Medics and Bash Ball may need some refinement as this was their premier appearance in Nerf (due to the rough terrain I felt it necessary to change rules up on the fly to better the experience). Please express your thoughts and feelings below.

If you have a Facebook account I STRONGLY encourage you to join the Facebook group page for Southwest Chicago Suburban Nerf Wars as other members and I frequently post there about events / discussions / trades/sales / etc. related specifically to the members of the community and its immediate surrounding areas. You might even considering making an account just for the sole purpose of being closer to the group. Let me know if you have any trouble finding/joining the group page via PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users