Crossbow Help

any suggestions?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Archangel

Archangel

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:15 AM

anyone have any suggestions on how i can fix a broken plunger rod for my crossbow?...its broken right at the catch.
Archangel

#2 Worlds largest bed race

Worlds largest bed race

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:53 AM

You could try here?

I don't own a x-bow so I can't speak from experience but you could try putting the metal rod the lenght of the plunger to add support.

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:29 AM

All the suggestions I've seen to date have involved cutting notches in the side supports so that you can epoxy thin metal rods down the side grooves.

I'm going the route of replacing the plunger shaft entirely in my (eventually) forthcoming mod. I'll simply get a square rod of some durable material, cut a notch for the catch, and thread both ends for attaching the head/handle.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#4 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:48 PM

what cxwq said. all my modded guns are lined up for this treatment already...<meatwad>as soon as i get me some damn money</meatwad>

#5 Silencer32

Silencer32

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 05:20 PM

Steel reenforcement is definitely the way to go, and I'd have to agree with everyone else when I say steel rods or heavy gauge wire is the best route to go. I used heavy duty coathanger wire on mine (doubled up) with a generous application of JB weld epoxy. I like to use shit around the house, and I didn't want to waste gas driving into town to buy heavier gauge wire.

The only other thing I'd have to say is that I have to question why Rawray didn't reenforce the entire length of the plunger shaft? It's a given that the most common site of breakage is at the catch, but when not spend an extra few minutes and do the whole length? Shit happens in wars when you're running and diving, and it's concievable that a branch or a table leg or chair arm or something could hit the plunger shaft from the side and break it at and odd place, were it not reenforced. I'd have to say it's preferential to do a little preventive maintainance now than to have to deal with a weird break later.
'I pity the fool' a man once said, and I laughed, for he knew not.

#6 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:26 PM

The added weight might be a factor. The heavier you make the back of the piston the more resistance it could have against compressing air, resulting in sub-par performance but superior durability.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#7 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:33 PM

Yeah, that's definitely a factor. I'm planning either silicon impregnated nylon or titanium for my replacement xbow plunger shaft. Obviously the nylon is cheaper but titanium would be so cool.

#8 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:57 PM

Oh my god titanium would kick ass. I'm desperately trying to fix and old nightfinder plunger. What happened is that I stripped the inside of the plunder and then glued the screw and end in but I was so dumb I forgot to put the spring on. Then I was trying to get it apart and I just ripped broke the plastic! I' still mad at myself and this was like a month ago! :rolleyes:
"Ahh The Power Of Cheese"

#9 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:04 PM

Titanium?? thats goin a bit overboard costwise for a nerf weapon. aluminum would be a good choice, light, cheap, strong, and easy to work with.

Ti would be pretty cool. but if you were gonna do that, you should really recase it too.

#10 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 12:29 AM

It's going a lot overboard strength-wise, but the cost shouldn't be that big a deal. I'm planning on having the sickest crossbow ever and that isn't going to happen without a little green. At any rate, I think I can source it for about $10-15.

#11 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 12:18 PM

If you have a cheap supply like that, I suggest taking orders. I, for one, would be interested in some new plunger rods. Titanium... why not?
Hunter
Organizer Vancouver Area Nerf Series

#12 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 02:01 PM

really? thats a good deal. is that price per foot? what diameter is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users