Info on these ranson motors?

11 replies to this topic

#1 CS- Tiff

CS- Tiff

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

http://www.dhgate.co...lceorder-1-null

Does anyone know if these are good or bad? From the stats, they seem to be better than almost all the 180's out there because you can achieve 68000 rpm at 12v. I want to set a record for the fastest rapidstrike out there and Im wondering if I should make this my pusher mech.

#2 MAV13

MAV13

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

If you put this motor on your pusher no amount of trigger discipline will allow you to fire one dart at a time. Not to mention it will completely override the fire control switch causing runaway firing. That said, these motors look pretty cool. They appear to be brushless 130s which to my knowledge is a pretty novel design. I'd say try them on your flywheels and report back.

#3 2TAGS

2TAGS

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

POPULAR

If you put this motor on your pusher no amount of trigger discipline will allow you to fire one dart at a time. Not to mention it will completely override the fire control switch causing runaway firing. That said, these motors look pretty cool. They appear to be brushless 130s which to my knowledge is a pretty novel design. I'd say try them on your flywheels and report back.

These are :brushed: motors

#4 CS- Tiff

CS- Tiff

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

Even if i use the electronic braking?

#5 MAV13

MAV13

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

These are :brushed: motors

Ah I couldn't see the full description at first. The small specs list does say brushless, but you should never trust these websites haha. These appear to have some nice high quality components though, still worth a shot if those RPM figures are anywhere near accurate.

Even if i use the electronic braking?

Yep. The faster these small motors are the less braking force they can generate. When they don't brake, the pusher never properly returns to rest and will continue to fire until you disconnect the battery. These are definitely not good for a pusher at all.

Edited by MAV13, 11 January 2015 - 04:48 PM.

#6 CS- Tiff

CS- Tiff

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

Well, thats a bummer. However, I did find someone who ran these as flywheels on a 3s in a stryfe and he sayse he can get about 125 feet flat consistently and 110 fps readings consistently with tiny holes drilled into the flywheels grip better.

Edited by CS- Tiff, 11 January 2015 - 04:57 PM.

#7 MAV13

MAV13

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

Well, thats a bummer. However, I did find someone who ran these as flywheels on a 3s in a stryfe and he sayse he can get about 125 feet flat consistently and 110 fps readings consistently with tiny holes drilled into the flywheels grip better.

I can believe the FPS readings. Just don't drill into your flywheels or expect 120ft flat. I say go ahead and give them a shot if you've got the scratch.

#8 CS- Tiff

CS- Tiff

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

I need to know a way to increase grip. Multiple guides suggested to drill holes so I did that and it makes sense because when the head of the dart enters one of the holes, it will be squashed in causing more grip and I can confirm that on higher voltage, It really helps. I've decided not to try the motors but I do need to find a motor which will give me insane rpms.

#9 J-Andy

J-Andy

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:39 PM

Motors are tricky. You need a balance of torque, RPM, and cost efficiency. It is just a nightmare to dig up specs on some motors. It also depends on how deep your pockets are. There are 180 size motors used for slot cars that will turn 100,000 RPM's but probably get hot as lava and some can run well over $200 a pop. I would imagine plastic flywheels turning at hellish speeds on a hot motor will probably either melt or fly off the shaft causing major damage but I haven't investigated that.

This place has a lot of motors but there are tons of choices all over. I just happen to like this spot because they give you torque and RPM specs at least.

As far as grip... you can probably devise ridiculous grip fairly simply but the down side is you are going to chew darts up.
Try Barricade flywheels and let me know how that works.
Posted Image

photo courtesy and property of Modworks....obviously

#10 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:34 AM

I tried buying some Ransons from a Tao agent and they charged me, then said they were out of stock. I've been waiting 5 days for a refund so I can buy them from DHgate. I do know that a break in is recommended on carbon brush motors (Especially high RPM motors). Just run them at 1/3rd voltage for an hour or so. If they get hot you may need to cool them in some manner. Some submerge the motors in alcohol, water, spirits, etc. Here's the page I read up on the process on: http://www.rcunivers...just-helis.html

#11 rhino-aus

rhino-aus

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:07 PM

If it helps I run these motors in my RapidPistols on a 3S LiPo. They \love\ to burn out. You really need to burn in the brushes otherwise they will die almost immediately at 12v. When you do get them working you can get 13 darts per second which is absolutely glorious. In the flywheels you will get the standard 120 FPS ceiling since they turn more than 25K RPM. I wouldnt use these for flywheel motors tho; there are better options. If you want to use them put them in the pusher!

#12 meishel

meishel

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:40 AM

If it helps I run these motors in my RapidPistols on a 3S LiPo. They \love\ to burn out. You really need to burn in the brushes otherwise they will die almost immediately at 12v. When you do get them working you can get 13 darts per second which is absolutely glorious. In the flywheels you will get the standard 120 FPS ceiling since they turn more than 25K RPM. I wouldnt use these for flywheel motors tho; there are better options. If you want to use them put them in the pusher!

I'm interested in using them in a multistage setup (afterburner). I want to have 3 sets of flywheels in a Centurion shell with the Ransons as the last set of motors. I'm looking to see if I can get an aluminum flywheel cage made so the motors will not get as hot hopefully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users