Now you may see my glory

45 replies to this topic

#1 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:06 AM

Posted Image
Here it is folks! My pride and joy, the new barrel assembly that lets you get off 10 shots with this dual 5 shot clip type system. Range: 90ft + or - 5 feet. Its glorious, fully functional, and easy and pie to construct. The back part of the assembly works as a comfertable stock, and dramatically increases accuracy. *Pics of my similarly modded Blast-Bazooka to come tommorrow.

*diagram of the innards of the barrel:
Posted Image
(-fyi- the rings towards the back of the barrel are ammo holders, and yes, that is a SM1500 pump handle. It is much easier to use than the wimpy one the at2k comes with.)

Edited by ShortShit, 20 July 2004 - 01:47 AM.

~SS

#2 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:20 AM

That's crazy, and awesome. Couldn't you just make your own airtank out of some more pvc for more power, or would it mess with the airflow? Anyway, that's so sweet how you slapped on the elaborate barrel system on that at2k. Is that 90' flat?

#3 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:31 AM

yeah I dont angle the gun when I range test it. Thats from shoulder height. I positioned the barrel at a SLIGHT upward angle just because thats how I prefer it. I do get a nice typical 90' flat with a decent dart that is; probably about the same range a 4 barrel modded at2k gets. It's quite air efficient now. The way it functions is that you open the ball valve, point the gun at the ground, pop the MnM's hatch, load 5 darts *you hear them slide all the way down, I put a DAB of lube in the loading chambers* close the ball valve, load 5 more darts. You then use your 5 shots during a war, swiftly point the gun towards the ground again, release the ball valve, then close it, and WAM 5 more shots. Its wonderful. And if you like the 90' range on this youll love the 100'ish range on the Blast Bazooka! Too bad it takes 8 pumps, but the range is really worth it. :P

Edited by ShortShit, 20 July 2004 - 01:35 AM.

~SS

#4 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:54 AM

Rawk.

Nice.

Range sounds excellent. Excuse my stupidity but where are the clips in that picture?
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#5 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:58 AM

its a diff kinda clip than what we are used to visualizing. The clips are seporated by the ball valve. the 1/2" OD darts are just loose enough in the SCH80 PVC that the air goes AROUND them and shoots out the dart that is sealed agaisnt the lip of the 9/16th brass, so there is an inner clip, then you let the outer clips ammo into the inner clip w/ the ball valve -rinse/repeat. I forgot to say, to prime the next dart after a shot all you do is pump with the gun pointing down to get the next dart into place.
~SS

#6 blink 182

blink 182

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:16 AM

Short shit your diagram looks amazing and if your ranges are accurate that that is an awesome job, but I am still a little confused about how you reload the ammo so that only one Stefan shoots out at a time and not all of them. Could you please explain because I am very interested in your idea?

(EDIT)

Well I took a look at your design long and hard and I think I understand.
1) you tilt the gun forward to drop dart onto inner lip of brass
2) pump up gun
3) fire
4) tip gun down and prime
5) fire again (and so on until darts are gone in first clip)
6) open ball valve and let new 5 darts through onto clip 1
7) tip ,prime and fire

Awesome concept. But may I ask what size ball valve did you use to have 1/2inch backer fit through…?

Edited by blink_182, 20 July 2004 - 09:32 AM.

New Price On Freedom, Buy Into It While Supplies Last...

#7 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:18 AM

For those who haven't been keeping up with 3DBBQ, ShortShit, and the Homemades forum in general:

here
are
some
links

Nice job Zack. That actually looks cleaner than I anticipated. Crazy to think that all that PVC still qualifies as a mod rather than a homemade for SoCal wars.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#8 VoLT

VoLT

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:48 AM

Now that's what I call swanky. I love how th becak part of the barrel can be used as a stock. I'm gonna try to make one as soon as I can get the parts. Heh, so far I have the M&Ms cap. Sweet.
BTW, about how much did it cost total to make the barrel system?
"Don't hate the little man cuz he's packing a six shooter!" - midget from GTA: San Andreas

My username is a good example of what happens when you leave caps lock on.

#9 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:48 PM

It cost maybe 8 dollars. The only expensive peice was the 1/2" ball valve. It was 5$. thats a 11" peice of sch80 pvp which screws into the 1/2" ball valve no problem. then i cut off the the other threaded end, and put the ball valve with pvc connected peice into a 1/2" coupler. then screwed some more sch 80 onto the other end of the ball valve and connected a mnms cap. you can do that a multitude of ways, but what I did was hammer short a 3/4" pvc over the threaded end of a 7" long sch 80 pvc peice (it smacks right on becoming insta-airtight) and then put that into a 3/4" pvc coupler. I then cut the back off of a mnm's mini container and put the whole thing into the other end of the 3/4" coupler. Wait a tick, why am i attempting to tell you how it all fits together when i have a image of how its assembled :)
VOILA:
Posted Image
~SS

#10 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:55 PM

The only expensive peice was the 1/2" ball valve. It was 5$.

Holy Crap. Since when did they start selling those brass valves for $5!@?#. The cheapest I've seen was $9.20 and they're usually $10.50 at my ace.

#11 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:05 PM

5.25$ at my local OSH.
~SS

#12 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:16 PM

wow....Good job!
nice picture

Edited by 3DBBQ, 20 July 2004 - 01:16 PM.

#13 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:28 PM

wow....Good job!
nice picture

Thanks 3D :) , the picture was done by my good pal CynicalSynapses.
~SS

#14 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:35 PM

I dunno if I can beleave 90'. Im not trying to call you a liar or a newb. I just dont see it. Theres alot of space for that air to move around in before pushing the dart. Also, is your tip down and fire loading meathod 100% perfect? Does it always load or do you have misfires? Good take and useage on the design though.

#15 CynicalSynapses

CynicalSynapses

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:41 PM

With the proper darts, it's perfect. If they're waaaay skinny it can cause some problems, but that's not good in any gun.

#16 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:21 PM

Question:

Is it worth it?

#17 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:44 PM

It is 110% worth it, and completely reversable. You can put it on any air powered gun effectivly.

Ninja- At Armageddon this year I had my first prototype of the assembly on my SM1500, it was NOT air efficient seeing as I used 3/4" PVC where I now use sch80 1/2" as the dart holding chamber, and all attendies can vouch for a solid 80 feet. I am now using a MUCH better design, plus the at2k's valve is slightely better than its cousin the 1500. You get that the ball valve is closed, the valve of the gun in closed, one dart makes a seal with the brass, and the rest of the space is filled with darts right? there is VERY little dead air just hanging around in the assembly. Also the speed at which the at2k's valve blows its load is so fast it hasnt really been an issue of losing air. once you use a shot sure you gain a little more dead air for each 5 shots, but there is VERY VERY miniscule range loss we are talking a discrepency of half a foot from the first shot to the last if the darts were identical. Also once you empty the second clip and close the ball valve, you once again get rid of the dead air. Its fine if you are hesitant to trust the numbers and keep in mind I do have a varience of 5 feet either way depending, but after the next war I attend we can have some rock solid backup to the range if you need ;)

-oh, and I would call the 90 degree loading system 95% failsafe. Every once in a while a really skinny dart will just fall out the barrel, or one dart will decided to get attached to the back of another dart because it was poorly made and u get a double shot, but besides those seldom occurances it works pretty much all the time. Sometimes when u put the darts down the loader if they arent straight they will stop, but a little love-shake to the barrel frees them up without fail :)

Edited by ShortShit, 20 July 2004 - 02:54 PM.

~SS

#18 CynicalSynapses

CynicalSynapses

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:46 PM

Plus the thing is pretty damn accurate, that was funny shooting into the large water bottle's lips :)

Damn gun gave me a small welt from maybe 30 feet away or so. It can definitely hit 90 feet, I've seen it in person.

Weeeee.

#19 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:59 PM

I have no problem with his range numbers. I've seen (and been shot by) the prototype.

It's at least as reliable as the best turret guns Nerf has given us and the loss in range due to the loader mechanism is less than a turret. Definitely an improvement in both categories.

Since the 2k pump generates higher pressure than the 3k pump, this gun definitely has better range and accuracy than my PETG 3k.

Now I know what to do with those 2ks I have lying around.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#20 blink 182

blink 182

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:06 PM

What did you use to attach the ½’’ L onto the 2k?
New Price On Freedom, Buy Into It While Supplies Last...

#21 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:12 PM

I think I understand now. I just couldnt visualise all that wroking too well in my head. I guess this design just isnt for everyone.

#22 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:26 PM

What did you use to attach the ½’’ L onto the 2k?

i attached the 1/2" L coupler to a very short peice of 1/2" pvc, then I epoxied an inch or so of 9/16th brass in the tip (i sanded out its end a little bit so it would slide over the VERY BACK of the AT2k's valve. I then layed down some thick epoxy on the valve back rim, slid the pvc with brass in it to the back and applied more epoxy and straightened it out quickly so the L coupler was pointing STRAIGHT UP. I let it dry over night, and then just because I'm anal, wrapped the end of the valve that had been epoxied in duct tape. I also sanded out the casing of the gun quickly with a nail file, didnt take long. Then you just attached the rest of your assembly on and secure as best you know how :) I dont beleive epoxy was neccacery on the valve, if you wanted to make an airtight seal while avoiding permanently modding the gun with the new barrel rig.

Im actually in the proccess of creating a MUCH more compact version of this which works slightly different, but along the same theme, and to the same effect. I will also be posting my BlastBazooka with the rawshitcynicbbq barrel assembly on it ;)
~SS

#23 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:34 PM

Id like to see the more compact version very much. How bout we call it a RSCB barrel to make it easier on everyone :) ?

#24 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:27 PM

The only problems I have are looks.

Looks like it works great, but it looks rather...ugly.

And yet, I commend you. Great job.

#25 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:44 PM

ShortShit, I've been keeping my eye on this since you started, and I finally think that this is something that is worth me trying for myself. You took the best of the two 3DBBQ inspired prototypes I saw: the vertical gravity reloading barrel, and the single-shot quick reload M&M's cap breech loader... then you made this hybrid which I am a big fan of. You retained the high ammo count as well as the quick reload by adding that ingenius ball valve between "clips". Good stuff man!

My only question is, what's with the name...?
"The 'dance goes on..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users