Photo

Medieval Weapons

Need help desigining easy to build wpns.

22 replies to this topic

#1 BennyG

BennyG

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:38 AM

Hello All!

I am new to these forums and to "Nerf"-ing in general. Some friends of mine are starting a LARP (Live Action Role Play) game in Connecticut. They want to include bows as a part of the game. The dilemma we have run into so far is that recently there have been no bows or crossbows in the nerf lineup. In addition, the normal nerf weapons either don't fly far or don't fly accurately. The arrows would need to be mostly foam as to not cause any harm to anyone. The only recent ones we have found that we like are the Arrows that come with the "Air Zone" crossbow put out by toys-r-us. If anyone has any ideas, we are all ears.

Thanks,

Ben

#2 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:33 PM

Good to hear your interested in nerf but saying your starting a LARP is a great way to get made fun of on this forum. My recommendation is to make your own crossbow because your either gonna buy a crappy one or your not going to have the money to buy a good one.
"Ahh The Power Of Cheese"

#3 BennyG

BennyG

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:44 PM

I am actually looking for help designing a bow for the game. As for the monetary concerns let those be mine. What I was looking for is the best way to simulate the pull-back of a bow. Thus the "air pumps" that many of the designs use would be out. If anyone has a design for such a thing or could help me design one I am all ears.

Ben

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:54 PM

The Lord of the Rings xbow would be a good starting point for a LARP xbow. It's reasonably available (Toys R Us was still stocking it fairly recently) and can be modified easily.

For LARP xbow use I'd probably go with a more typical nerf-style hollow body arrow rather than the awful bolts that come with it. You could do essentially what I did in my mod but use a smaller diameter brass tubing so as to be able to fit the arrows over it where it protudes from the bow casing.

In case you haven't seen the gun as packaged, I didn't install the cosmetic 'bow arms' for that picture. It actually looks quite a bit like a chunk of tree turned into an xbow if you assemble it fully.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:57 PM

Here's an idea if you are proficient with building materials:
Posted Image
It is a nitefinder with a stock and cross-piece. You could attach elastic bands from the cocking handle to the crosspiece to resemble the bowstring.

~Vintage

Edited by Vintage, 19 July 2004 - 01:58 PM.

You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#6 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:19 PM

Wow, that actually looks pretty cool vintage.

#7 Avatar of WoeBrian

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:36 PM

Reminds me of the crappy Van Helsing Xbow ^_^

#8 BennyG

BennyG

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:22 PM

Thanks All!

You suggestion for the x-bow rocked.

Is there any suggestion for a normal pull=bow?

Thanks,

Ben

#9 DJ Hurley

DJ Hurley

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:05 PM

Here's plans for my crappy Bow n Arrow!
I suggest using something different then real wood. Actually, it was more of a twig. But yeah, I bet theres a lot better things you can use instead of that wooden part.

Edited by DJ Hurley, 19 July 2004 - 10:19 PM.

NERF CITY
You're a dipshit, stop posting.
I'll let you know when you can start again.
Yes, I'm serious. ~Cxwq

#10 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:55 PM

Reminds me of the crappy Van Helsing Xbow :P

Only it will get much better range and accuracy. You could even swap the elastic for something stronger to add more power to the gun.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#11 Avatar of WoeBrian

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:36 AM

Exactly what I was thinking of saying :P

#12 Tinkerer

Tinkerer

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 01:47 PM

well, this is a semi-nerf bow idea:

what you need:

5' of 16 guage steel wire or 14 guage wire rope.

5' of sch40 pvc

however many 1/4" diameter 2' dowels

three pieces of cardboard cut into a parallelogram shape for each dowel.

one arrow head called a "Dum Dum" (no, i'm not joking, it's rubber and blunt tipped.) for each dowel.

a dremel

a pair of pliers.

Step1: using the dremel, cut two noches 1/2" deep into each of the ends of the PVC.

Step2: make a loop at both ends of the wire, which will not come out.

Step3: put one loop into the grooves at one end, and bend the PVC until you can put the other loop into the grooves at the other end.

Now you're done with your bow.

Step4: take the pieces of cardboard, and bend them 1/4" up from a long edge.

Step5: glue three on each dowel, they should not overlap.

Step6: Glue on the "Dum Dums" and repeat steps 4-6 until you're out of supplies.

there're your arrows.
Actuall directions on some products:

On Pudding
"Product will be hot after heating"

On a Sweedish Chainsaw
"Do not try to stop with hands or genitals"
(Was alot of this happening somewhere? MY GOD!!)

#13 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 02:00 PM

Ok Heres A bow Idea.
Pretty simply make a extremely long plunger(green) out of pvc and glue and o ring on the end then make a plunger tube out of pvc that fits the o ring. then attach a 1/2 barrel that you can put nerf arrows on the outside of to shoot or nerf darts in the inside for better range. Then attach all this to a bow and put some elastic string on and wallah. Obviously there are some problems like the plunger falling out and getting the actual bow but if your seriously interested this will be fairly cheap and simple as long as you use your brain.

Edited by CheeseNerfer, 21 July 2004 - 02:02 PM.

"Ahh The Power Of Cheese"

#14 jpshyboi9

jpshyboi9

• Banned
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 12:28 PM

Tinkerer can you post some pics? and where did you get all the suplies?

you can use accual arrows from wal-mart and stick stefans on the end that have extra weight

0= the weight (any fishing weight that is not to pointy or heavy...anything 4grams and less)
= is the stefan
-------- = the arrow

0==---------------------

make sure to have a padded end for the arrow WILL hurt from the weight.

#15 Guest_nerferdude_*

Guest_nerferdude_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2004 - 01:22 PM

PVC bows work quite nicley. Just get a 3-5 foot peice of PVC and cut notches in each end. Then string some shoelace through the notches, making sure the bow is curved in a resting position, adn shoot some wood dowels with micro darts on the end.

#16 jpshyboi9

jpshyboi9

• Banned
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:20 PM

would anyone like to post a pic of their weapons that they have made. (ie. midevial weapons or military weapons).

Also I had a thought for those using pvc bows.

Go buy some arrows from wal-mart take the tips off them if they are equiped with tips and stick an extra weighted stefan on the end.

#17 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:55 PM

The LARP in my area has banned Nerf bows and crossbows :o

#18 Benny

Benny

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:53 AM

http://www.noshorn.n...01/arvet/06.jpg

a swedish LARPer and a swedish LARP bow/arrow

#19 avatarofanu

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 11:26 PM

I actually am a Larp-er and I have made a pretty decent bow and arrow set using the following:
PVC - 5ft of 1/2 inch sch 40 is best
pipe insulation
fun noodle
super 77 spray adhesive (sold at walmart)
about 4 and a half feet of clothes line string
and duct tape.

Cut notches about 1/3 of the way through the pipe about 3 inches up on both sides (this is where you will string it).
Put about 6 inches of fun noodle on the bottom part of the bow (3 inches spray adhesived on just below the notch). This can be used to bash people if need be.
On the opposite end, put 4 inches of pipe insulation spray-ad-ed on, 2 and 1/2 inch on the pipe.
Tie the string around the lower half first, then string the top part.
You might want to put some of the staff part of the bow in pipe insulation if you plan on using it to fight.
Wrap it all in duct tape and you have a decent Larp bow.

Now arrows are the hard part. What I found that works is such:
pipe insulation
open cell 'pillow' foam
a penny
a plastic hanger
duct tape

Cut the bottom shaft off of the plastic hanger. Try to get the longest straighest piece possible.
Duct tape the penny to the end of the shaft.
Cut 3 inches of pipe insulation, and fit it over the penny, with about 2 inches extending off of the shaft. Duct tape it over and duct tape that to the shaft.
Fill the hollow 2 inch space with bits of pillow foam, then duct tape over that.
Take a piece of pipe insulation and put it next to the arrow, measure an inch longer than the shaft itself (not including the 'arrowhead') and cut that.
Cut this piece in half lengthwise. Place of half of it over the plastic shaft and duct tape it together. You're not going to use the other half (at least not on this arrow).
Make some fletches out of duct tape, and you're set.

BTW, I know this has nothing to do with Nerf weapons, but I thought I could help the guy out. I'm sorry if this is too off topic. Or hey, maybe this could be counted as a 'home-made' nerf...

Anyways, laters all.

-Anthony

Edited by avatarofanu, 01 August 2004 - 12:02 AM.

#20 EDA

EDA

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:42 PM

I had an idea for a fairly complex little X-Bow, this is just a concept by the way but here goes
MWF-150

Class: Crossbow
Ammo Type: Arrows
Propulsion method: Bungee cords
Ammo Hold: One Arrow
Weight:
Length: 2 ft
Designer Notes: This is a nearly silent long range crossbow gun which can be used instead of the traditional long range rifle for Sharpshooters.

How it works:
(1) Load arrow into arrow holder
(2) Pull bungee cord back and over the wooden holder
(3) Release bungee cord (hit the arrow straight on)

What you need:

One 20 inch piece of PVC pipe
Four elbow pipes
One 8 inch piece of PVC pipe
One 4 inch piece of PVC pipe
Two 2 inch pieces of PVC pipe
Two rivets
One bungee cord 10 inches long
Two clips
One wooden notch holder
One wooden block about ½ an inch by one inch with a knob in the back of it

How to Construct:

1. At one end of the 20 inch pipe connect one elbow pipe
2. At the first elbow pipe connect the 8 inch pipe
3. At the 8 inch pipe connect a second elbow pipe
4. At the second elbow pipe connect the 4 inch pipe
5. Right under the 20 inch piece of pipe 3 inches from the barrel connect the
two 2 inch PVC pipe pieces.
6. Connect two elbow pipes to both of the 2 inch PVC pipes
7. Glue the elbow pipes together
8. Insert the clip holders on the side of the barrel 3 inches down so that they stick into the air ready to hold the arrow (Important! they must be straight, and big enough to tightly hold the arrow but not too tightly)
9. 6 inches from the barrel drill and insert the rivets (make it so the rivets hold the bungee cord)
10. Glue the wooden notch holder 9 inches from the barrel of the gun
11. Staple the block of wood to the bungee cord

Aftermath:

Testing the MWF-150
Before Testing:
The MWF-150 is a highly complex weapon to create, hopefully the range and accuracy of this gun will more than make up for it, although my dad who is an expert on such matters thinks that I could make a better weapon by sticking a dart in front of a ketchup packet and stomping on it repeatedly to propel the dart.
I disagree; this gun should propel the dart at least 2 feet.

#21 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:06 PM

Front the sound if it, you plan on having the wooden paddle thwack the arrows?

I agree with your dad, the voice of experience. It sounds like the Nerf Slingshot, one of the most abysmal weapons. The arrow won't be accurate since there isn't time for acceleration, and it won't go very far I surmise. Good luck though.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#22 EDA

EDA

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:49 PM

Thank you for your comment Janga, I think my dad was right in this case, but in this case I really think that in this case my father and you are right, if and when I build this design, I will let you know if it works. It really is a sucky design but at least I tried. :P

#23 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:20 PM

I posted a design for a crossbow about a month ago. It's on this site here. The pic is kinda big and low quality, but you can still get how to build it. The base of the whole thing was a full-auto modded rubber band pistol. Under the foam insulator at the ends of the bow are notches cut halfway through the PVC in which the rubber bands sit in.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users