noob

11 replies to this topic

#1 pwr1

pwr1

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • State:Connecticut

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:27 PM

Hello i have built my first snap and i am having trouble getting a good seal on the plunger.

4id5z8.jpg

fxbkb8.jpg

23stzbt.jpg

i know your supposed to use an o-ring or a rubber washer of some sort but i could not find any at Lows and when i bought an o ring i bought the wrong size lol.

Edited by Aeromech, 23 November 2015 - 02:33 AM.

#2 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

i know your supposed to use an o-ring or a rubber washer of some sort but i could not find any at Lows and when i bought an o ring i bought the wrong size lol.

So what did you use?

#3 pwr1

pwr1

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:24 AM

i used pices of plastic ground down with teflon tape

#4 rockinon96

rockinon96

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:59 PM

i used pices of plastic ground down with teflon tape

Omöjligt!!! You can't grind down plastic with Teflon tape. The way you say it, I interperet you actually cut down the plastic to size.

Note: omöjligt is Swedish for impossible.

I know. I was just busting your Muttonchops. It's just what I do.

#5 pwr1

pwr1

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:30 PM

i kind of solved the problem i took the over sized o-ring and cut it in one spot and slowly trimmed it down to fit the inside diameter of my main body which is 1 1/2" with a 10" long 1/2" inside diameter CPVC barrel. I then took two circular cutouts of plastic that are slightly smaller then 1 1/2" inside diameter. Then like I said I trimmed down the over sized o-ring so that it fits perfectly into the 1 1/2" pvc pipe. I then sandwiched the o-ring between the two pices of plastic and tightened the retaining screw down loosely. Then i placed the plunger into the tube which it fit snugly. The folloing pictures show the parts used in the steps described.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

finally I can tighten the retaining screw. this will cause the o-ring to be squeezed out and against the cylinder wall evenly causing a better seal.
the next picture shows the srew in which you tighten and get a better seal.

Posted Image

so i improved the seal and thats that. but i would still love input on how people have gotten a 100% seal on a 1 1/2" main chamber.

#6 rockinon96

rockinon96

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

Nothing to see here. just a person being a dick.

Edited by rockinon96, 02 December 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#7 pwr1

pwr1

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:28 PM

it was a scrap o-ring man cut me some slack i was going for any improvement at all and there was a drastic seal increas so overall i think i shouldn't be having words put in my mouth.

#8 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,059 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

I would really try to track down a neoprene washer. I also see no mention of lube in your post - you'll need some or else it won't work at all (silicone grease is the best, but you can use things like mineral oil in a pinch).

#9 pwr1

pwr1

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:18 PM

i have found one 1 1/2" OD neoprene washer on ebay for 3.52$ and i will pick up some silicone grease when i go out to lowe's next

#10 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,178 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:42 AM

You're using O-rings? So 2000's. Start here. There's a full shopping list, including hints on where to look for the parts for a plunger head (Superlative, I think?). When building mine I got everything at Lowes. The washer head is super easy to make and reasonably fool-proof. You'll need lubricant too, there are threads about which kinds are best.

#11 Jorgen

Jorgen

• FNG1 
  • 1 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

Well its ok for a first homemade. but I think you should get some more experience with homemades before you sell them. but you are off to an ok start.

#12 rockinon96

rockinon96

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

Well its ok for a first homemade. but I think you should get some more experience with homemades before you sell them. but you are off to an ok start.

I agree with Jorgen on this. for a first homemade, this is pretty good. you will get better as you get experience. how do you think all these great homemade makers, such as MHA, got to where they are now. By trial and error, that's how.

Oh, and sorry for giving you so much grief about the o ring thing. you are doing better than me, I haven't even started doing homemade, but I have TONS of Ideas for some, just have to wait till I get the funds to start.

Edited by rockinon96, 02 December 2014 - 05:05 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users