advice cosmetic

4 replies to this topic

#1 SolarFusion

SolarFusion

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • State:Ontario

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:56 PM

I've seen a couple of blasters with chrome finishes and I'm wanting to know how it's done. Are there special techniques or certain paints I need to have?

Thanks.

Edited by Aeromech, 23 November 2015 - 01:39 AM.

#2 Birch

Birch

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • State:Massachusetts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

What I used one time was krylon x-metals spray paint. It came out with a very nice shimmery metalic look. It probably isn't exactly what you had in mind but I would definitely check it out. Someone painted a 3k with it and it looked dope, but I can't remember who it was.

Edit: found it!: topic 22566

Edited by Birch, 22 November 2014 - 04:00 PM.

It's like a Hurricane ate a Tornado and shat out a Monsoon!!

#3 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

On aluminum parts that don't normally have super-shine, you can use a Brillo pad to polish them to a mirror finish. Ryan did that to a couple aluminum barrels on a whim (we used to use the Brillo pads to buff out scratches on ESLT plunger rods). Won't help with your PVC parts, but a few shiny bits can make a blaster pretty.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#4 SolarFusion

SolarFusion

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:22 AM

What I used one time was krylon x-metals spray paint. It came out with a very nice shimmery metalic look. It probably isn't exactly what you had in mind but I would definitely check it out. Someone painted a 3k with it and it looked dope, but I can't remember who it was.

Edit: found it!: topic 22566

On aluminum parts that don't normally have super-shine, you can use a Brillo pad to polish them to a mirror finish. Ryan did that to a couple aluminum barrels on a whim (we used to use the Brillo pads to buff out scratches on ESLT plunger rods). Won't help with your PVC parts, but a few shiny bits can make a blaster pretty.

Thanks guys, yeah, not exactly what I was looking for but I wasn't terribly hopeful.

#5 SolarFusion

SolarFusion

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

http://www.amazon.co...=rub%27n%20buff

They have made maybe 20 color variations, but I recommend experimenting with "Silver Leaf" first. Lots of hobby and craft stores carry it.

I would also recommend SNJ Spray Metal, but they seem to have gone out of production, so grab some if you find it. The founder was one of my model building buddies from way back in the 70s.

Alright, thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: advice, cosmetic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users