Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:40 AM
You'll want to have four 6" barrels of 1/2" Sch. 40 PVC. Then take 9/16" brass and wrap the ends in electrical tape, so it fits in the PVC good. You might want to glue then ends, too. The whole modification is here.
The deal with darts is:
1/2" foam almost always fits into 9/16" OD K&S brass. It only sometimes fits into 1/2" CPVC. I would recommend buying brass at a hobby shop. While you're there, you might want to buy some 17/32" brass, too. It's used in various modifications here at Nerf Haven.
Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:34 PM
Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:42 PM
To make holes in your stefans take a straw ( ones form wendies work great ) and twist and push the straw into the back of your dart. It will kind of cutt its way through. After it gets to about 1/2" to the tip, take the straw out and use needle-nose pliars to rip out the cutt foam from the stefan. Stick the dart in a peace of barrel slightly bigger than the dart and secure it to a peace fo wood to make sure you get the hole as strait as possible.
Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:53 PM
Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:11 PM
It does take alot more time, but the difference (as I have found) is phenomenal. It greatly improves my range and accuracy. I always used a straw, then tried a drill, then went back to straw. The straw gives a cleaner hole and better control over centering it.
That sounds like a good idea, but wouldn't that take a lot more time than no hole at all? And it's not that big of a difference, either, is it?
This is how I make stefans:
I take 2" sections of straightened FBR.
I use a straw to cut a hole all the way through each of them.
I put hotglue in one end followed by a weight.
I put more hotglue over the weight followed by a 1/4" piece of FBR as a cap.
I use sissors to trim down the edges of the cap, giving it a rounded shape.
These stefans will fit on guns that still have the peg in them, but I still took all the pegs out of my guns.
Edit: I am sure I would get even better range without the foam cap, but I don't want to hurt anyone. I just make the cap as aerodynamic as possible.
Edited by Vintage, 19 July 2004 - 01:13 PM.
Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:15 PM
I'm aware that this is at odds with what some people have experienced, no need to point it out again.
Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:34 PM
Cxwq, I like your idea of using a soldering iron for the hole. I will use that idea on my next batch.
Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:05 PM
Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:31 PM
Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:58 PM
All I did was hacksaw off a little bit at the end to give it a rough tip, and it slices through the dart with no problem. Man, it goes fast. I can drill 30 darts in under 10 minutes now.
Posted 30 July 2004 - 01:29 AM
How long do you guys make your Stefans? It looks like about 2". I have made mine way longer than that, though I can't remember the lengths for either (I left my stuff in St. Louis, since I'm moving back in a few days). I do know it was at least 5 cm for each type, though. Will making it longer hurt any? I really made them longer to see if they work better in my PC, but we'll see.
Edited by TimberwolfCY, 30 July 2004 - 01:30 AM.
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC
Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:16 AM
I did try just burning a hole in the backs of a few stefans, but my drilled darts always performed better. If you don't want to spend the time drilling, you don't have to. I am just excited that 1/4" aluminum works so much better than a straw for the job!
2" stefans work great in my PC. I make longer ones for my higher power guns. I would still recommend you try drilling a 2" piece of FBR with a 1/4" (anything) tube. Then fill one end with hotglue, drop the weight in, and cap it off. I got so much more range out of my PC with these darts. Here, I will go range test it now.
How long do you guys make your Stefans? It looks like about 2".
I just tested it out with a full clip of my new ammo, and (it being wet outside) had to do it indoors. I have a stretch of the house that spans 70', and the level of the ceiling forces a flat shot from shoulder height.
I love it! What I used for the dart: 2" of drillied FBR, hotglue in the end, followed by two airgun-sized bb's, followed by more hotglue. So, in summary, after changing the size of the stefan, using different weights, and not using a foam cap on the darts, I got much more range.
Edited by Vintage, 30 July 2004 - 09:32 AM.
Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:02 PM
Thanks for the info though, I'll definitely put it to use.
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC
Posted 30 July 2004 - 10:42 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users