Photo

Pvc Mod

38 replies to this topic

#26 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:40 AM

Well, CPVC is not the most common thing to use. Besides, using brass would be the best thing to do with the SuperMAXX 1500 modification.

You'll want to have four 6" barrels of 1/2" Sch. 40 PVC. Then take 9/16" brass and wrap the ends in electrical tape, so it fits in the PVC good. You might want to glue then ends, too. The whole modification is here.

The deal with darts is:

1/2" foam almost always fits into 9/16" OD K&S brass. It only sometimes fits into 1/2" CPVC. I would recommend buying brass at a hobby shop. While you're there, you might want to buy some 17/32" brass, too. It's used in various modifications here at Nerf Haven.

#27 TOFUburger

TOFUburger

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:34 PM

thanks a bunch for all the posts
All bow down to BoltSniper, he is my god.

#28 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:42 PM

Vintage, my stefans are drilled out, and I get ALOT better range and accuracey from then stock micros in my PVC. They were also extra weighted and cutt down some.

To make holes in your stefans take a straw ( ones form wendies work great ) and twist and push the straw into the back of your dart. It will kind of cutt its way through. After it gets to about 1/2" to the tip, take the straw out and use needle-nose pliars to rip out the cutt foam from the stefan. Stick the dart in a peace of barrel slightly bigger than the dart and secure it to a peace fo wood to make sure you get the hole as strait as possible.

#29 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:53 PM

That sounds like a good idea, but wouldn't that take a lot more time than no hole at all? And it's not that big of a difference, either, is it?

#30 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:11 PM

That sounds like a good idea, but wouldn't that take a lot more time than no hole at all?  And it's not that big of a difference, either, is it?

It does take alot more time, but the difference (as I have found) is phenomenal. It greatly improves my range and accuracy. I always used a straw, then tried a drill, then went back to straw. The straw gives a cleaner hole and better control over centering it.

This is how I make stefans:
I take 2" sections of straightened FBR.
I use a straw to cut a hole all the way through each of them.
I put hotglue in one end followed by a weight.
I put more hotglue over the weight followed by a 1/4" piece of FBR as a cap.
I use sissors to trim down the edges of the cap, giving it a rounded shape.

These stefans will fit on guns that still have the peg in them, but I still took all the pegs out of my guns.

~Vintage

Edit: I am sure I would get even better range without the foam cap, but I don't want to hurt anyone. I just make the cap as aerodynamic as possible.

Edited by Vintage, 19 July 2004 - 01:13 PM.

You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#31 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:15 PM

I can't find the html but I did a micro stefan shoot out some time ago. As I recall, I included 2.5" with no hole, 1.5" with no hole, 2.5" with drilled hole, and 2.5" with half-inch soldering iron melted hole. All were fired from my brass 1500 and the 2.5" no hole came out on top in range. The 1.5" no hole was the worst so based on that test it would appear that holes vs. no holes is a less important factor than proper length.

I'm aware that this is at odds with what some people have experienced, no need to point it out again.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#32 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:34 PM

Maybe. Now that I think about it, I think straight darts come in first, then barrel fit, then dart length, then holes/no holes. All play factors in the flight of the dart, and a great dart uses the principles of all of these.

Cxwq, I like your idea of using a soldering iron for the hole. I will use that idea on my next batch.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#33 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:05 PM

Crap, I made all my stefans about an inch and a half, simply because I wanted to use FBR most efficiently. Eh, oh well, next batch of stefans I'll make at 2 inches.

~ompa

#34 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:31 PM

I've always gone with a nice solid 2". I never personally saw much improvement with 2.5 myself.
~SS

#35 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:58 PM

Hey guys, I just found a better tool for drilling holes in stefans! I used to use straws, but they kept bending and warping, and were too flimsy to twist through, so I got 1/4" aluminum tubing to do the job.

All I did was hacksaw off a little bit at the end to give it a rough tip, and it slices through the dart with no problem. Man, it goes fast. I can drill 30 darts in under 10 minutes now.

~Vintage
~Al Capone

#36 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 01:29 AM

I just started making Stefans, and I found it easiest just to use the hot glue gun itself to make the holes in either end. This makes it uncanily like a Larami dart, since its only "partially" drilled. On the "forward end" I make a shallow hole for the BB and hot glue, and the rear end I drill it as far as it will go for mega Stefans, and as far as possible without melting the end on micro Stefans. When the FBR residue builds up on the tip of the hot glue gun, simply use a paper towel to wipe it off quickly, and then continue.

How long do you guys make your Stefans? It looks like about 2". I have made mine way longer than that, though I can't remember the lengths for either (I left my stuff in St. Louis, since I'm moving back in a few days). I do know it was at least 5 cm for each type, though. Will making it longer hurt any? I really made them longer to see if they work better in my PC, but we'll see.

Edited by TimberwolfCY, 30 July 2004 - 01:30 AM.

"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#37 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:16 AM

I have always drilled holes in my stefans. Most people who drill holes, drill them after the stefan is finished. I drill them all the way through the FBR right after I straighten it. The point is to give the dart a slightly looser grip in the barrel, and to give a cleaner flight path.

I did try just burning a hole in the backs of a few stefans, but my drilled darts always performed better. If you don't want to spend the time drilling, you don't have to. I am just excited that 1/4" aluminum works so much better than a straw for the job!

~Vintage

Edit:

How long do you guys make your Stefans? It looks like about 2".

2" stefans work great in my PC. I make longer ones for my higher power guns. I would still recommend you try drilling a 2" piece of FBR with a 1/4" (anything) tube. Then fill one end with hotglue, drop the weight in, and cap it off. I got so much more range out of my PC with these darts. Here, I will go range test it now.

Double Edit:
I just tested it out with a full clip of my new ammo, and (it being wet outside) had to do it indoors. I have a stretch of the house that spans 70', and the level of the ceiling forces a flat shot from shoulder height.

10 darts,
Closest: 52'
Farthest: 59'

I love it! What I used for the dart: 2" of drillied FBR, hotglue in the end, followed by two airgun-sized bb's, followed by more hotglue. So, in summary, after changing the size of the stefan, using different weights, and not using a foam cap on the darts, I got much more range.

Edited by Vintage, 30 July 2004 - 09:32 AM.

~Al Capone

#38 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:02 PM

Sehr interesant. Are those ranges level or angled (if so, what degree?)?

Thanks for the info though, I'll definitely put it to use.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#39 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 10:42 PM

I tested it inside, standing up, shoulder height, level. Even if I wanted to angle test it, the low ceiling would have prevented me from doing so.

~Vintage
~Al Capone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users