Looking for a wood like material

materials advice

6 replies to this topic

#1 Tangerle

Tangerle

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

I've been looking around for a material similar to wood but plastic and can't seem to find anything. I'm looking for a cheap material that is ~1/2" thick and is less than $10 for a square foot. I know that wood is commonly bought in 1" thickness and plywood in 3/4, but I don't need it to be that thick. I find myself needing raw material like this constantly and I never have any available. Something like acrylic but around half the price. The reason to not use wood is aesthetics half of the time and the lack of precision/reliability it has. I don't have much money and that's the major problem. Also if I had the money to afford more expensive materials I would much rather spend it on other things. I won't be thinking about a job for a couple months so I'm pretty tight with spending. Any McMaster Carr part number, url, bundle, or anything like that I'd consider, so If there's an $80 bundle for some material that's the same price to volume ratio I'm looking for I'd certainly consider saving up. Even if there's something 2'^2(1/4") for $20 I'd certainly like to know.

Edited by Aeromech, 23 November 2015 - 02:42 AM.

Gino

#2 Sam-underscore

Sam-underscore

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

A lot of people (including myself) use HDPE or cutting board for handles and such.
Here's what I've used in the past
You want Homemades? I make Homemades.
~le yootoob

#3 TheNerfingFlamingo

TheNerfingFlamingo

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

A lot of people (including myself) use HDPE or cutting board for handles and such.
Here's what I've used in the past

Yeah cutting board is your best bet.
I killed a man with my titan.

#4 meteorhound1

meteorhound1

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

I've used this stuff before for a handle and a foregrip on a snapbow. It's somewhat similar to wood but flexes slightly more. It's nice might not be the best option cost wise. The dust is also obnoxious. (http://www.lowes.com..._/N-1z10t2d/pl#!)

#5 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

If you decide to use cutting boards, use wood screws instead of machine screws. DON'T use Ikea cutting boards. Kitchenade Brand is the strongest and sturdiest but the Walmart brand is a good value for the buck at $5. You can also use it for catches.
"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

#6 Naturalman7

Naturalman7

• Contributors
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

A wood like material that is plastic.

I actually went through the same quest a few weeks ago. Sorry for the delay in replying. A friend introduced me to this stuff called "PVC Wood". It's literally a cross between PVC and wood. It machines like wood and feels like wood, but isn't prone to any of the negative affects that wood is - because it's plastic. However, it's a bit pricey and I've only seen and used it in it's longer skinnier form for Rainbow type handles. It's also white. It's called "PVC Wood" at Lowe's. I Don't think it's the same thing as meteorhound1 mentioned.

I've asked and looked around but haven't found any cutting boards that I've found thick enough to use without having to layer a bunch which I find annoying. The thickest stuff I've found hasn't been greater than 1/4".

You can use HDPE and it comes in a variety of shapes and sizes. But it isn't 'wood'. It's slightly cheaper the more you buy.

Get HDPE or use "PVC Wood" if you really want something with the name 'Wood'.

#7 Tangerle

Tangerle

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

Thanks everyone for replying, I'll probably start using cutting boards from now on. And might use that pvc wood some other time as well.
Gino

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: materials, advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users