Cheap Paint Alternative

House paint (Glidden Paint tester)

5 replies to this topic

#1 rockinon96

rockinon96

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

I was at walmart the other day looking for paints to paint My Modded Nerf Tech Target Blaster. The spray paints are usually over what I can afford. So I was looking for other alternatives, and I found Glidden House Paint Testers. They have a big variety of colors and shades, and They are each $2. So I bought the Indigo Mignight shade, which is a manly kinda purple, I also bought Testors silver and gold paints, and a Rustoleum flat Clear coat. When I got home I prepped my Blaster for painting. I used the paint tester as my base coat. Although yes, it isn't spray paint, and Yes, it was somewhat thin, if you were careful, It applied very nicely. It didn't feel like a regular brush painted blaster, it felt smooth: Until I dry brushed on gold and silver. :rolleyes:

My Question to you guys is If you would/ had try it out just to say you did. and let me know how it was.

Also you can only buy it in walmart stores

I know. I was just busting your Muttonchops. It's just what I do.

#2 jboynerf345

jboynerf345

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

Can we have some pics on the paint job? $2 seems like too low a price for "quality" spray paints. Thanks in advance.
Snaps. Snaps. Snaps.

#3 Tangerle

Tangerle

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:09 PM

The Rust Oleum they sell at home depot works really good for me and is $3 a can and they last a while. I find them to be a really good deal for how long they last. Most of the cheaper spray paints will work if you sand down your blaster with some fine grit sand paper.

Edited by Tangerle, 01 September 2014 - 03:11 PM.

Gino

#4 SolarFusion

SolarFusion

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

Can we have some pics on the paint job? $2 seems like too low a price for "quality" spray paints. Thanks in advance.

If you had read above; you would have seen that he mentioned that it isn't a spray paint.

I second that request for pictures.

The Rust Oleum they sell at home depot works really good for me and is $3 a can and they last a while. I find them to be a really good deal for how long they last. Most of the cheaper spray paints will work if you sand down your blaster with some fine grit sand paper.

For a good looking paint job you should always be sanding down your blasters no matter which brand of paint you are using, be it spray or brush-on. If you do not it tends to rub off too easily.

-SolarFusion

Edited by SolarFusion, 02 September 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#5 Steven firefury

Steven firefury

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

I would recomend a decent plastic primer before applying any other paint. Not all paints stick to plastic but most paints stick to the primer. I have seen items painted with nailpolish, sealed with a clear coat of paint.

About dry brushing: I usually paint the whole thing metalic first, then apply black or rust colors. Buffing the black off, leaves a natural wear of the metal. Metal usually rusts in the corners where there is no contact with other items. So that's where you want the black/rust to stay. Here's one of my creations I've painted with this technique.
Posted Image

I'd love to see your paint work!

#6 rockinon96

rockinon96

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

Jboy, It isn't spray paint, it's a house paint sampler. This is what it looks like

Posted Image

I used it for dry brushing.

Edit: At My walmart, It is $2. Price WILL vary from walmart to walmart.

Edited by rockinon96, 23 September 2014 - 05:05 PM.

I know. I was just busting your Muttonchops. It's just what I do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users