Photo

New paint experiences?

5 replies to this topic

#1 AMATHE821

AMATHE821

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but recently I attempted to use Rustoleum Universal spraypaint. It costs about the same as vinyl dye. I found that the trigger like handle on it leaks all over my fingers. It doesn't apply for crap, and it runs all over the place, and cracks. Badly. IMO, vinyl dye is FAR superior to this paint.

My question to you guys is, have any of you ever used this paint? If so, what were your results? Keep in mind that I sanded down my project the same as I would for any other normal spraypaint.

#2 Guest_TheSilverhead_*

Guest_TheSilverhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

Personally, I've come to loathe all things Rustoleum. They were the only brand to carry a color I needed- and I regret it. All their paints seem thick, runny, crack-prone, and leaky. Go Krylon Color Master.

#3 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

It seems like your problems may be attributed to the application of too heavy of a coat. If you're applying one or two heavy coats and covering the blaster in one go, you're doing it wrong. Personally I apply something like 10 to 15 really light coats. Gently spray on the coat, should have tiny specks and just barely be visible on the blaster. When it's dry to the touch. About 5 or ten minutes, apply another and repeat until it's nice and deep in color.

A really thick coat sprayed on quickly will show and will chip must faster than a properly applied coat. It may also be sticky to the touch for several days or even weeks after initial painting. Heavy coats are just not a good idea.

A good idea would be a base coat of either white or black before your final color to combat the often flamboyant colors stock nerf blasters often are.

Work on your technique is my advice. As for your paint I typically use krylon fusion.

Edited by Aeromech, 23 August 2014 - 12:40 PM.

Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#4 AMATHE821

AMATHE821

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

If you're applying one or two heavy coats and covering the blaster in one go, you're doing it wrong. Personally I apply something like 10 to 15 really light coats. Gently spray on the coat, should have tiny specks and just barely be visible on the blaster. When it's dry to the touch. About 5 or ten minutes, apply another and repeat until it's nice and deep in color.

A really thick coat sprayed on quickly will show and will chip must faster than a properly applied coat. It may also be sticky to the touch for several days or even weeks after initial painting. Heavy coats are just not a good idea.

I used it as my base coat, mainly because it said it would bond to plastic. I did about seven light coats. Also, I have had trouble finding krylon paints because the Menards chain is run by a bunch of commies and only carry Rustoleum
Where do you guys get yours?

Edited by AMATHE821, 23 August 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#5 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:00 AM

I've been pretty happy with the Rustoleum X2 paint. Covers very well and seems compatible with everything I have thrown it at. I don't think I would bother trying it on PP, PE, Nylon, Delrin, etc.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#6 Emote

Emote

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

I've had problems with rustoleum before. Other paints seem to work much better.

Edited by Emote, 27 August 2014 - 02:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users