Semiautomatic Action Theory

working out ideas

5 replies to this topic

#1 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:08 PM

okay...so far im thinking the best semiautomatic, air-powered breech, receiver and action is going to be a lot like that found on semiautomatic firearms: slide a round forward out of a box magazine into the chamber, fire, recoil and repeat. now without an explosion, there is nothing to force a recoil and strip another round from the magazine.
so im thinking a system with a piston to strip the round and shove it into the breech, pushed forward by pressure from the tank and recoiled by a spring after pressure is released. resting state of the piston would be in the barrel, held there by air pressure, with the trigger releasing a valve to fire the round and release the pressure, causing the piston to recoil to a point past the back of the magazine, where another valve would be triggered to release more air and force the piston and next round into the breech.
nesting/telescoping cylinders seems to be the best way to go at this so far. ive sketched some stuff out and ill scan the sketches and post them as soon as i get a chance.
ideas? comments?

#2 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:49 AM

Ummm, sorry, what ever happenned to a simple blow-back?

Use the search function if you havn't already, blow-back has been attempted a few times, its just a matter of regulating the harsh pressure released.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#3 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 10:36 AM

is there enough force in a nerf gun to implement a blowback?

#4 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:55 PM

No, but if you did search like taita_cakes said, boltsniper attempted an automatic bullpup rifle powered by explosions of mixtures of different airosals (sp). It used shells though, not just the darts. I, after reading his few threads, took his idea and went a step farther in the design of the shells and would use primers for black powder rifles instead of a grill lighter.. Also, my shells would be made of copper, not PVC, so that they would be thinner. They also would not use standard endcaps, but a soldered piece of sheet copper cut to fit in the back of the pipe/shell thing to give the whole thing a smaller profile. The problems with using explosives to power a Nerf dart, however, is that sealing it is rather difficult. Also, the dart gets slightly singed (looked it up in the dictionary for the spelling) depending on the fit of the dart in the shell/barrel. But as for a recoil or blowback operated gun, ask boltsniper for the hardness of the recoil to base your spring strength on, or experiment yourself.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#5 Shaggy Me

Shaggy Me

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 09:38 PM

what i'd do (for complexity's sake) is build either a revolver or a shell loaded pump action rifle (Dual action- pump to reload and build pressure) though you'll need strength to pump the rifle

#6 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:06 AM

well f that, batman, im not firing flaming gouts of copper tubing at people. i want it to shoot foam.
i did a search. the <sarcasm>ever-useful</sarcasm> search function returned nothing for blow-back, blowback, or blowback. theres a reason i never use search in these forums...

ive looked at some of boltsniper's stuff on his site, and the pictures look like great ideas, but everything on his site is broken :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users