Elite Alpha Trooper springs and barrel queries

9 replies to this topic

#1 thechase

thechase

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

Afternoon guys,

I've been eyeing up an EAT for the purpose of making it a bit of a long distance rifle-esque blaster with a stock and sight; I am, however, not seeing many spring kits available for sale anywhere. I currently have a 7kg spring in my Strongarm and would ideally be looking at around a 10/12kg spring for the Alpha Trooper along with any necessary reinforced stock parts to deal with the increased forces.

I would be really happy if anyone can point me in the right direction for my search!

Thanks in advance,

Chase.

Edited by thechase, 22 July 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#2 Zack Dorris

Zack Dorris

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

Orange mod works sell kits for nerf blasters that are high quality. They currently have a stage 1 kit with a stage 2 kit available for preorder. That will at least be a start. As for a stock a raider stock will do you well.

#3 thechase

thechase

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

Orange mod works sell kits for nerf blasters that are high quality. They currently have a stage 1 kit with a stage 2 kit available for preorder. That will at least be a start. As for a stock a raider stock will do you well.

Thanks for the reply,

Orange springs seem rather weak at 5 kilos? I'd really like to get some velocity (160 ~ 180 f/s?) from the EAT as otherwise I may as well just use my 180 motor/lipo Rayven. Am I expecting too much here?

#4 stoph

stoph

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

If you can handle losing a few KG to your desired setup, OzNerfNerd here in Australia does a great kit for the EAT. Comprises of a 7kg spring, uprated catch spring, 3D printed reinforced catch, and an alignment plate that helps keep everything square. You'll often encounter issues with higher load springs in the EAT, and the latter part should help avoid said issues. His kits are quality, and his springs are custom made. He's getting around 100fps on his chrony with AR intact (if I recall correctly). Check it!

OzNerfNerd eBay store

#5 Zack Dorris

Zack Dorris

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the reply,

Orange springs seem rather weak at 5 kilos? I'd really like to get some velocity (160 ~ 180 f/s?) from the EAT as otherwise I may as well just use my 180 motor/lipo Rayven. Am I expecting too much here?

Yeah a little for the stock internals. If you get OMW kits you might be pushing it a little. If you are wanting a rifle esque blaster I would try a modded longshot. If you can find an O MW immortal kit. That would take a hefty load. Honestly the EAT gets great ranges with those O MW kit soon to be kits installed. Hope that helps.

#6 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

Short of replacing the internals, I don't think it would be possible to achieve the fps you're looking for with a EAT. I would recommend making a pump action angel-breeched longshot if you're looking for a pump action rifle-esque blaster. That would be one of the only things short of a air gun or homemade that would get 160-180 fps with stock darts.

Edited by Thorn, 22 July 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#7 thechase

thechase

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:28 AM

Thanks for the responses guys,

I checked out your link Stoph and did a little research of my own on Oznerf; I found a brass breech system with an 8 kilo spring that seems to be getting roughly 135 f/s on a crony (I found a video) - still not much of an gain on my flywheel blaster in all honesty but realistically it's probably all I'm going to get. Thanks for the tips anyway.

Edited by thechase, 23 July 2014 - 02:34 AM.

#8 stoph

stoph

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

ONN made up a BB kit for the EAT, though he was having some consistency issues with his foam stock, and to my knowledge never got a full kit out (albeit perhaps in a limited release beta). He was getting BB'd Longshot ranges with it, which is huge given the difference in PT volumes between the two blasters.

Xplorer have been retrofitting large diameter PT's to the Retaliators, and given the similarities between the Rets and EATs, and with a 5-7kg spring were achieving something in the realm of 200fps with a sealed bolt. The same approach should arguably work for the EAT. If you can engineer/3D print an end cap for some suitably-sized thin wall PVC, grind down the sides to provide a flat surface, you can essentially retrofit the stock internals into it and have a larger volume to draw from. Depends how deep down the rabbit hole you'd like to go...

#9 thechase

thechase

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

No access to a 3D printer unfortunately, and in all honesty I have no real desire to boot up ProE and then get a model printed somewhere else (likely at a vast fee). Hopefully someone will get around to making a reliable 200f/s kit on a 7kg spring - they'd have one customer right here ;) .

#10 stoph

stoph

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

Do a search for Hacker spaces around your area. They're creative collectives that provide generally cheap/free manufacturing services, ie a couple dollars for a few hours on a 3D printer or laser cutter. Makes it much more accessible than paying for short runs through larger companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users