How to remove leftover stickers

use butter or margarine

7 replies to this topic

#1 rockinon96

rockinon96

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

I learned this trick from my grandfather. If you remove a sticker in a fugly manner, and there is residue left over... Take some butter or margarine and rub it in the adhesive for at least 5 minutes. Soon the adhesive will mix with the butter, then just wipe it off with a paper towel, and the adhesive will be gone.

I don't know if this was already known but just thought it would be good to know.

I know. I was just busting your Muttonchops. It's just what I do.

#2 Lord N

Lord N

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:03 AM

Nice old school trick, those are usually the best. I learned to use WD-40, which also seems to work. But it leaves this fishy smell all over the place.

#3 archangel24

archangel24

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:07 AM

Nice old school trick, those are usually the best. I learned to use WD-40, which also seems to work. But it leaves this fishy smell all over the place.

Just be careful with WD-40. It is advertised as safe for plastics but it is petroleum based and some plastics (i.e. Polycarbonate) can get damaged. Nerf stuff is made mostly from ABS but just as precaution (internals if it gets in the shell).
WD-40 FAQs
QUOTE(Talio @ Oct 14 2010, 10:37 PM) View Post

I would much perfer a game that's free of KY. I like it rough. Right, Vacc?

"She went all Ghetto Fab on you."

#4 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

Hand sanitizer works pretty well as well.

*edit - You can also minimize and even avoid the residue if you use a hairdryer to first initially treat the sticker 'before' peeling it off.

Edited by makeitgo, 16 July 2014 - 10:22 AM.

"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

#5 rockinon96

rockinon96

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

That is actually pretty good ways to remove the sticker, Although I don't trust WD-40 for jack shit. It is good for what it is intended for... But not nerf.

#6 AMATHE821

AMATHE821

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

Personally, I used a water/ Goo-gone mixture. A rough estimate would be one part Goo-gone per ten parts water. I tried making a more potent mixture, but I had disastrous results on a Buzzbee Hawk. It was about a 1:3 mix, and the plastic got discolored.

#7 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Confirmed the butter trick today. Works fantastic, way better than the rubbing alcohol I've been using for this. Especially good for removing stickers on painted parts because the alcohol will take off some of the paint along with the sticky. Thanks for sharing!

#8 rockinon96

rockinon96

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

Thank you Blue for imforming me that it also works on painted blasters. I had figured such, but you just confirmed it for me (IE don't own painted blasters)

I had a theory I wanted to try with various methods to remove stickers on blasters (ie butter, hair dryer, soaking in a warm bath, and various ways the sticker was tampered with. as well as a type of prep for painting blasters (ie removing greasy residues) all of which I would prefer having to pay for shipping for broken shells with their respective stickers on them (No sense in ruining a perfectly functional blaster for this experiment with a shitty PJ caused by Butter/ Margarine) I may have a thread in the trading forums about mentioned shells. I will edit this reply once I have done so and will add a link to the thread.

Edited by rockinon96, 08 August 2014 - 08:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users