Photo

Jumbo vs Mega Stefans

5 replies to this topic

#1 ferball

ferball

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

I know that I risk getting punched in the throat and banned by our malevolent moderators but here goes...
I picked up a Magna a few weeks back and fell in love with its old school robo cop look and monster ammo. I have been nerf modding on and off for a few years, but never really got into different ammo sizes, so I did my due diligence with google and bing trying to get more info. I know the basics, smaller ammo less air resistance and bigger ammo is slower making most ammo development happen in the smaller calibers.

I was hoping that somebody could get a little more in depth about the pros and cons of the different sizes. Has anybody done in depth study of accuracy and range with larger projectiles vs smaller? The Magna has enough punch to fish tale those huge darts so I am thinking properly weighted home made ammo has potential. Before I reinvent the wheel I wanted see what else has been done on this front.

#2 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:59 PM

The disadvantages to large ammo is the cost (you make less darts per $) and bulk (you can carry less darts per round).

As long as your blaster can propel it at equal velocities, large ammo is pretty much better in all other ways at a NIC war, since it is less affected by wind and more stable in flight leading to greater precision.

For indoor or otherwise non-NIC wars, you might be better served with stock large ammo because the greater mass that lends to the above advantages means safety concerns and property damage concerns if you're making oversized slingshot domes or slugs. Oversized silicone domes might be an option but then it is quite costly.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#3 bum

bum

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

Doom did some studies based on flight drag. It's kind of interesting... link:

http://btrettel.nerfers.com/

Just to echo what's been said, as long as the velocity is enough to compensate for the increased dart size (and from the studies the dart diameter to length ratio has to be appropriate) then your larger darts should be better.

#4 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

The disadvantages to large ammo is the cost (you make less darts per $) and bulk (you can carry less darts per round).

For indoor or otherwise non-NIC wars, you might be better served with stock large ammo because the greater mass that lends to the above advantages means safety concerns and property damage concerns if you're making oversized slingshot domes or slugs. Oversized silicone domes might be an option but then it is quite costly.

I've been playing with and making Jumbos/MEGAs since I figured out that they fit in my rocket barrels. While the foam is more expensive, for sure, I've found that the U.S. federal government must want us to make slugs, because they are subsidizing the manufacture and distribution of the perfect weights. Pennies are typically 2.5g, corrosion resistant, adhere well to hot glue, and have nice rounded edges. The best part is that they only cost $0.01 each. The same felt discs we normally use, but in the 3/4" size are about twice the price of the 1/2" version at $12.18/500, but that is still only about $0.045 per head. So far, they work great. I only wish that I had not forgotten them at home when we left for Armageddon.

I also have some silicone domes, but haven't assembled any yet. So far, the process is somewhat haphazard, but that will change.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#5 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

^What foam are you using?

I would've liked to see those in action at 'geddon, too haha. Do you have a mold for the silicone domes that you made?
Better Nerf By Science!
http://nerfscience.blogspot.com/

#6 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

^What foam are you using?

I would've liked to see those in action at 'geddon, too haha. Do you have a mold for the silicone domes that you made?

Some of the foam is a light grey coil I found at the Goodwill outlet, while some is a light blue coil I picked up from a rummage sale. Both are unpackaged, unfortunately. The black stuff I bought from Amazon was too small, around 18mm. I do have a mold I am using, but I'll be printing up a different one as soon as I get set up. Currently I am using an ice tray that has a gumdrop shape. They are pretty large, so I am filling, then pressing in a penny to flatten and limit the size. They take about two weeks to cure with straight silicone. I haven't tried with the gay stuff (oogoo).
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users