Photo

NERF Magnus: AR, locks, springs

3 replies to this topic

#1 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

Let's see what we've got here: a basic, pistol sized blaster that's been released for 6 months and a week with no known writeups on this forum. For shame, NIC. I guess this hobby really is dying to noobs with wonderfully intellectual pursuits such as "OMG GAYZ! Wut shuud I doez wit dis gun?!?! Liek, im suck a nuub!"

Posted Image
Screws. One hidden under the slide. No big deal. A bunch of different sizes though, so stick them though a piece of paper with the blaster's outline drawn on, or leave them in the shell.

Posted Image
Guts. Pretty basic, really. Actually simpler than Recon by a vast margin, complexity is reduced via some pretty clever mechanical means. The plunger system actually uses a rodless SNAP style catch, unidirectional and super-low-mass. Remove the ammo feeder and the accessory clip. Easy to do, just pull up on the spring where it loops around the post, then slide the pusher away from the tube. Easy.

Posted Image
Get these two screws. Don't mix them with the shell screws.

Posted Image
Remove trigger pack and left mag/clip feedlip. It's pretty intuitive, even for a Chem Eng. (The joke is that Chem Engs can't do anything mechanical. Laugh.)

Posted Image
But this next bit, if you're a Chem Eng, you might struggle with. Pull the barrel off the slide. Then, pull up and away to clear the barrel from the dart tooth house, then slide the assembly
to your left at a diagonal to clear the shell.

Posted Image
Here's the trigger pack opened. Easy, just a screw on the left face and a bunch of tabs, some of which Mayor Maynut be glued slightly. A little brute force with a screwdriver fixed that. Just push on the angled part of the tip of the tab. Make the trigger pack look like this.

Posted Image
You should have all this stuff laid out on your table. Chuck it in the trash. Alternatively, feel free to throw it on the ground and feel like a lonely island.

Posted Image
Now, if you're a Chem Eng, I suggest you get someone to help you with this step. Unscrew the screw on the PT, and pull the spring off the post. You'll want to use your left thumb to hold the outer shell away so that you can twist the plunger assembly clockwise with your right hand, and have the tab clear it's locking space.

Posted Image
Twist the barrel 180* from it's original position, and place it like so.

Posted Image
Continue to this step while screaming racist insults at your Asian roomates. I suggest something like "Hey, can you help me with math?" This should be pretty self-explanatory.

Posted Image
Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Posted Image
Boil some water, pull this apart. MIG-grade muscles recommended. Wiggle it laterally, should help weaken the bonds. Might take multiple dunkings, but it's the cleanest way to do it. Dry up all the parts. Pull out the AR pad and spring. Remove the peg if desired. Clean up the glueshit with a file, sand it a little with ~100 grit sandpaper, throw some super glue on there, push it together.

Posted Image
Lube's gone. Throw some more in there. This stuff works pretty well, should be ~#2 on the list for every nerfer. This tube's lasted me for about 3 years now. Only stuff better in my book is Silicone Grease, but that stuff's more expensive per unit volume.

Reassemble the blaster. If you're so inept that you need specific directions for doing something in reverse of a described manner, then I suggest you find another hobby, like finger painting.

Ranges: No stock ranges taken. 3 shots, with darts landing at 47'-56' flat, as estimated by a car-lot space being ~8'.

Speculative notes on accuracy: These darts are great. With a 45' angle shot, darts deviated from "perfectly straight" at final range by 5' at most. At ~30 feet, aimed shots missed a 3" thick pole by mere inches, and occasionally hit dead on. I have no doubt that this blaster with this ammo will reliably perform center of mass shots at close engagement distances. If a near-perfect match were found for dart size in FBR, homemade darts would perform COM shots at full range reliably.

Springs: It is possible to replace the stock spring with a new spring, assuming one keeps the length nearly the same, the full-compression length the same, and the outer diameter the same. The inner diameter can be varied, but the spring peg at the back of the plunger would need to be shaven down to accommodate.

#2 Duke Wintermaul

Duke Wintermaul

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:40 AM

Well, If you define the NiC as the Nerf Internet Community and not the domain of NerfHaven then there are plenty of 'guides' out there.

I'm not sure if you want to use stefans with this thing, it's power is on the lower side and some solid 3/4in FBR with custom head is much heavier than the mostly hollow MEGA streamline. If you're going to go through the dartsmithing process, you better have a better platform than a Magnus.

USER WAS SUSPENDED FOR THIS POST

Edited by Zorns Lemma, 22 June 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#3 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

Well gee, Sherlock, why aren't they on HERE then?

As far as I'm concerned, the forums (which is pretty much down to this one) are the only good place to host write-ups. There's no guarantee that your blog is going to get the same grade of exposure, or your Youtube channel, or whatever non-central site you have your content on. Facebook groups suck for this, too. Can't post anything resembling a proper writeup, and good criticism and real questions are lost in the flood of comments. Bad mediums all around. It might be the "internet community" in general, but anything aside from a forum is going to suck balls.

Not so sure about the darts, though. Sure, energy, momentum, blah blah, I've taken physics. But, this thing's got just under 4" of draw in a NF/FS sized PT. So this thing certainly DOES have power potential from a stock blaster standpoint. If your argument is that you should only put in the effort to make darts for warblasters that you're going to get super amazing ranges on, then you're dead to me. It's an EXPERIMENT, how hard is it to make up a few darts and see what happens? Looser stuff might be bad, but if the foam's a bit tighter, then you've got a barrel mod, essentially. Or you know, someone could actually try to find some barrel material for this, do a write-up and post it here.

AND FUCKING SERIOUSLY, DUDE!? You comment just to be some kind of analytical douche, instead of commenting on the mods done, the pictures, the quality of the write up, alternative methods for doing what I did? Jeezus fuck, I'm glad I'm on the way out of this hobby.

USER WAS SUSPENDED FOR THIS POST

Edited by Zorns Lemma, 22 June 2014 - 08:55 PM.

#4 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Both of you guys can go in the time out corner now.

Feel free to repost this thread, when your pictures aren't from 2002 (protip: you need more lighting so that way your phone doesn't auto-select ISO electronic-noise-everywhere and a shutter speed slower than your heroin-induced hand tremors).
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users