Firestrike Manta

Homage to the Nitefinder Manta

3 replies to this topic

#1 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

This was something I wanted to do for a bit, and I hope you all enjoy it.

Materials Needed:

Firestrike x 2
Dremel (or some kind of cutting tool)
Epoxy Putty (one full tube)
Metal Rod (a wire hanger will work fine, the one I used is a thick pants hanger)
Pliers

OK, so obviously Step One is open the Firestrikes and gut them. my mod is only the attachment of the blasters. Any performance mods you want to do the site has plenty of guides for it found here, Nerf Modifications Directory

Step Two is cut the handles of your Firestrikes. Keep them as straight as possible. If you have a Bandsaw or table saw, this is much easier. I only had a Dremel with a plastic cutting wheel. So do the best you can.
Posted Image

Step Three, where the battery tray is, take your pliers and rip of some of the housing for the batteries, It makes applying the epoxy putty later eaiser, also you will see why when I lay the metal rod/wire.
Posted Image

Step Four, line up the shell halves and make sure they line up.
Posted Image

Step Five, getting your metal on. This is the Hanger I used. It is a thicker gauge then a regular wire hanger, I needed to cut this with my Dremel and a metal cutting wheel. What you will want from here is the corners. They worked the best in my opinion since they already have a curve to them. But do not discard the rest. Save them for future projects.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Step Six, dry fit the cut pieces to make sure they are long enough to go between both shells and have a good amount of room in both halves.
Posted Image

Step Seven, Carefully bend the wire to fit into these grooves, this is why you need the pliers to peel out the plastic blocking the grooves that fit the wire.
Posted Image

Step Eight, The epoxy, as stated above you need a full tube. Split it in half, you will need one for each side. Once you fit the wire in and it is set, take some of the epoxy and fill in on top of the wire to get the base going, then take the rest of the half and fill in the rest.
Posted Image

(Side note: I know you are thinking this is a lot of epoxy putty, but the thing is, this is the ONLY support between the 2 Firestrikes. Trust me, you want the strength, and also after letting it sit and cure for 24 hours, this is very stable)

Step Nine, Once the epoxy has had some rest time (I used JB Weld for plastic which has a handle use time of 25 minutes) reassemble the blasters carefully. this is a little tricky since you can't place the internals all on one side.
Posted Image

This is my final product. I had some grip tape leftover from something else of mine, and I wrapped it around the grips. covering the epoxy seam, and also adding comfort.
Posted Image

Additional note: Yes you can add support to the front. I did not for asthetic reasons also I wanted to preserve the dart holders. After letting it set overnight, I was able to prime both sides no problem with no damage to the bond integrity. If you do any performance mods, I would suggest adding additional support to be on the safe side. But I like how this came out, and I may revisit this again one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7xWkFd8Evc

Comments, suggestions, thoughts, be nice.

Edited by Griever 2112, 26 June 2014 - 02:44 PM.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#2 zack0909

zack0909

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Cool! I might to try this some time

#3 TheNerfingFlamingo

TheNerfingFlamingo

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

actually, you can make a front support without sacrificing looks (too much) or the dart holders. Cut some 1/2 in. pvc to however long the gap between the firestrikes is and put it where you want. Then. just wrap it in the same tape you use for the handle. Or you could go absolutely crazy and put a 2k up in there, that should fit AND somewhat support it AND be fing awesome.
I killed a man with my titan.

#4 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

Added video to original post.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users