making megas or mondos

6 replies to this topic

#1 Trajarian

Trajarian

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • State:Florida

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

I'm sure to get flamed for starting this topic, but I have searched the forums to no avail. I'd like to make my own mega darts, or mondos, whichever are the fat ones, but I am not sure what size foam to use or what size barrel material to use. Any useful feedback would be greatly appreciated. Inccidentally, I am posting from a tablet, so I apologize ahead of time for any grammatical or spelling errors.
"Without Nerf, how will kids learn to resist their reptilian overlords?"

#2 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

I'm sure to get flamed for starting this topic, but I have searched the forums to no avail. I'd like to make my own mega darts, or mondos, whichever are the fat ones, but I am not sure what size foam to use or what size barrel material to use. Any useful feedback would be greatly appreciated. Inccidentally, I am posting from a tablet, so I apologize ahead of time for any grammatical or spelling errors.

Well, that depends. Old megas are 5/8" wide, which is easy to find. Most home improvement stores carry it, as do McMaster-Carr and Amazon. New, red MEGAs from the Centurion and Magnus are 3/4" wide, which is proving to be a little more difficult to locate. While FBR labelled 3/4" can be found at some retailers and Amazon... most of it appears to only be about 18mm wide, instead of 19mm. As for monGos, they are 1" wide, and you can find the foam online. Some people say that their ACE stores carry it, but mine don't and it is not available on the ACE website.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#3 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • State:California

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

In addition to what Draconis said, Best Materials carries both grey/black and beige foam in 5/8 inch, 3/4 inch, and 1 inch if you're looking for a large quantity.

Edited by Thorn, 13 June 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#4 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 823 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

If you have a Do It Best nearby and are only looking for a limited supply of large foam, as opposed to a carton's worth, they carry Sashco filler rope in various sizes.

Search link

That'll give you a decent price on any foam you might want, and will ship to store for free if it's not in stock at your nearby location.

Note that if the item is in-store and has a higher price than online, you should order online to ensure the lowest price.

#5 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

If you have a Do It Best nearby and are only looking for a limited supply of large foam, as opposed to a carton's worth, they carry Sashco filler rope in various sizes.

Search link

That'll give you a decent price on any foam you might want, and will ship to store for free if it's not in stock at your nearby location.

Note that if the item is in-store and has a higher price than online, you should order online to ensure the lowest price.

Have you used either the 3/4" or 1" rods? Can you comment on fitment?
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#6 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

Have you used either the 3/4" or 1" rods? Can you comment on fitment?

I've used plenty of both - I have a 3/4" hopper I use with a Big Blast. Not quite 100' in range, but it flies true and scares the shit out of people. Giant pieces of foam whizzing by tends to do that :lol:

The 3/4" foam fits 3/4" Sch. 80 PVC nicely, if a bit tight.

The 1" foam works just fine in 1" sch. 40 PVC, with a slightly loose fit.

In both cases, thinwall PVC works great for your hopper or RSCB clip.

#7 grenadegreg

grenadegreg

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • State:Illinois

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

At Ace they sell 3/4 FBR. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users