Barrel fittings

What barrel fits stock elite darts best

4 replies to this topic

#1 Destroya

Destroya

• FNG1 
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hello I'm new to the modding community and im going to do a coupler mod my panther but I want to use stock elite darts. I was hoping to find out which size barrel I should get from the hardware store to best fit them. CPVC? PVC? PeTG? Thanks a lot!

#2 Kronos Nerf Mods

Kronos Nerf Mods

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hello I'm new to the modding community and im going to do a coupler mod my panther but I want to use stock elite darts. I was hoping to find out which size barrel I should get from the hardware store to best fit them. CPVC? PVC? PeTG? Thanks a lot!

PETG will probably perform the best, but it doesn't have a good coupler, so if you want to use it, you'd have to nest the PETG in .5" schedule 40 PVC and use a .5" PVC Coupler.
PETG also is most often not found in hardware stores. It can be bought online from places like McMaster, or alternatively Visipak has it, in addition to offering free samples which are a good amount for modders.

If you don't want to go that route, then there's .5"CPVC, which will have a tight fit on elite darts, and in some cases be too tight, especially if you want to load darts from the back. Additionally there is schedule 80 PVC, which is hard to find in some hardware stores., and honestly impractical.

All of these materials will also work as long as there are couplers for them, and they will also work as singled barrels.
Hope this helps.

Edit: There is also brass, but I wouldn't get that just for a simple panther coupler mod.

Edited by Kronos Nerf Mods, 11 June 2014 - 07:34 PM.

Wyes may take a while...:

My Youtube Channel

#3 cheerios

cheerios

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

Additionally there is schedule 80 PVC, which is hard to find in some hardware stores., and honestly impractical.

How is Sch. 80 PVC impractical? It is a close enough fit to PETG, eliminates the need to nest your barrel material, and is sold in Menards, Ace, (some)Home Depots, and Lowes.
22:46- jakejagan :Ryan, did you hear that Zeke's BBBB made N9 bleed?
22:47- Zorn :BONUS

#4 jboynerf345

jboynerf345

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

I would definitely use PETG, but because of the scarcity and price, you might just want to go with CPVC. PETG can nest easily in Sch. 40 ".50" PVC, so you can easily add a (PVC) coupler to the front of your panther.

Again, judging the scarcity and cost of PETG, you might not want to consider it.

CPVC,is a cheap and useful material, but, as Kronos said, it may have to tight a fit on elite, especially pristine, darts. You would also probably need a ramrod or something like that (to push your dart to the bottom of the barrel), as you usually cannot rear-load a stock dart in CPVC.

PVC is not really used among modders for barrel material, although you might want a PVC coupler on the front of your panther.

As Kronos said (again), 17/32 brass and/or 9/16 brass can fit an elite dart pretty well, but it's pretty (okay, really) expensive and (at least where I live) hard to find.

I honestly think that making barrels for stock darts are a pain, you're better of making Stefans. That's just my opinion though.

Good luck on your modding, hope this helps!

J-Boy
Snaps. Snaps. Snaps.

#5 Kronos Nerf Mods

Kronos Nerf Mods

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:27 AM

How is Sch. 80 PVC impractical? It is a close enough fit to PETG, eliminates the need to nest your barrel material, and is sold in Menards, Ace, (some)Home Depots, and Lowes.

Well in this case Sch. 80 PVC would serve as a pipe that can be couplered, as would cpvc, but cpvc is thinner, and is easier to find. Sch. 80 has its uses for sure (in fact I wish I could find some in my area) yet for this I think its less practical than cpvc. I figured I'd mention it though to give options.
Wyes may take a while...:

My Youtube Channel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users