Photo

Apocalypse 2014

August 2nd Oakhurst, NJ

80 replies to this topic

Poll: Apocalypse 2014

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you plan to attend Apoc?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Have you ever been to a war hosted on NerfHaven? (Only answer if you plan to attend Apoc)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

Date: Saturday August 2nd, 2014
Time: Arrive by 9:30. Leave yourself plenty of time to find parking and walk to the staging area.
Location: Deal Test Site (Joe Palaia Park) in Ocean Township, New Jersey.
Directions below.

YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
-Be 13 years of age or older. If you're not old enough for this site, you're not old enough for this war.
-Familiarize yourself with the rules and schedule
-Show up on time
-Attend the orientation if this is your first Apoc. Orientation will be held at 9:40
-Be familiar with dart/blaster restrictions
-Bring Protective Eyewear. Everyone is required to wear eye protection. Goggles or safety glasses which are rated for impact are strongly recommended. Masks of any sort are discouraged (This isn't Canada, no one is aiming for your face).
-Bring your own darts and blaster. Assume you will need around twice as many darts as usual, and/or be prepared to sit out a round just for dart sweeps. Bring a backup blaster. Don't expect anyone to wait for you to fix your gun to start the next round. Bring a springer pistol.
-Lunch is your own responsibility. There will not be enough time to leave for lunch. I suggest you bring a packed lunch and eat on the field. If you leave for lunch you *will* miss one or more rounds.
-Bring Water. It will be extremely hot and humid. A minimum of 2 liters of water/Gatorade is recommended (many people bring at least a gallon). There is nowhere to get water on the field.
-Bring Hat/Sunscreen/Sunglasses. It will be hotter than satan's taint, and there is not much shade at the park. Bring sun protection or you will burn.
-Follow the instructions of the hosts and field supervisors. Certain people will be designated as field supervisors and will be helping us run rounds. Listen to what they say. Our authority as hosts and admins extends to them for the purposes of this war.
-Clean up after yourself. Flagging tape, bottles, etc must be removed from the park.

DART RESTRICTIONS
All darts must be made using a 1/2" diameter 1/8" thick adhesive-backed felt bumper from McMaster-Carr, part#8771K12. Darts may only be weighted using a single #8 or #6 washer, which must be entirely covered by the felt bumper. Unmodified stock darts are also permitted. See this thread for more details Contact me via PM if you have any difficulty purchasing the McMaster materials.

BLASTER RESTRICTIONS
Banned blasters include (but may not be limited to):
Blasters that look like guns. If your blaster does not look like a toy, we will cover it in orange tape. Blasters in this category includes but is not limited to: Pump action shotguns, blasters painted black (especially pistols). Blasters painted brown, olive drab, or any other 'realistic' colors.
Titans and anything with a titan tank in it (unless you are firing stock rockets, Drac's rockets, or if you are firing darts out of seven or more barrels simultaneously)
Sceptors (I don't care if you took off the tank, or if it is stock, etc. The answer is no)
Homemade Airguns (includes anything with a pump/valve that isn't made by hasbro/lanard/buzzbee such as those drain cleaners)
Guns with plugged pumps that were designed to shoot anything larger than a mega dart. (LBB/BBBB, Signal Launchers, UMBs etc.) Relocated pumps must include a stock OPRV and must have comparable range and performance to the same blaster with a stock pump.
Super Soakers
Melee weapons/swords
Shields (hits to any shield-like items you may be carrying will still count as a hit)

If you are not sure about a blaster, leave it at home. If you want to be the guy at apoc who's gun shoots farther than everyone else's, *you* should stay home.

ROUND SCHEDULE
Update: We will be playing some pistol rounds. See this post for details on what is allowed as a pistol.

The round schedule will be done on-the-fly by the Round Enforcers. The day will be blocked out in 1-hour periods, and the Enforcer for that period will be running the show. Be ready to leave the staging area for an hour at a time, bringing everything you need with you including water and ammo. We will be playing a variety of gametypes including a lot of Deathmatch (3-15), Minnesota VIP, some Carpe, a variety of speed rounds to fill in down-time, at least a round of Freeze Tag, possibly some Gunslinger Heaven, and maybe some clan wars. See the List of Gametypes thread for rules.

MAP
Note the alternate parking areas, marked with blue 'P's, and the NEW Staging area, marked in Green. Fields are marked in Yellow.

View this map with a detailed legend in a larger window.

PRE-WAR
TBA

GOOGLE MAPS/GPS INFO:
40°15'21.85"N 74° 1'25.08"W
40.256069, -74.023633

271 Whalepond Rd.
Oakhurst, NJ 07755
(if you don't specify the town it will take you to the wrong 271 Whalepond)

Deal Rd & Whalepond Rd
Oakhurst, NJ 07755

My best advice is to use a GPS or Google Maps to navigate to one of the coordinates, address, or intersection above. Depending on what direction you're coming from, you'll either end up on W Park Ave, or Deal Rd.

If you are driving on W Park Ave, you turn right at the light on to Whalepond Rd and make a right into the third park entrance. Parking on right. If you end up at another traffic light, you missed it. Turn around and follow the directions below.

If you are driving on Deal Rd, you turn left on to Whalepond Rd at the light and make a left into the first park entrance. Parking on right. If you end up at another traffic light, you missed it. Turn around and follow the directions above.

CANCELLATION POLICY/RAIN DATE
Short answer - there isn't one. http://nerfhaven.com...ndpost&p=332397

Subscribe to the NerfHaven.com twitter account and have notifications send to your phone via text if you don't have a smart phone. Any emergency notifications that go out on the day of the war will be posted to the twitter account as well as this thread. I will also be available via the LGLF hotline at (732) 903-5453 (732-903-LGLF) on the day of the war. I doubt any of this will be necessary and you should assume that Apoc will proceed as planned.

TIPS FOR THE WAR
Dealing with the heat
What to bring, and what not to bring
Rules and etiquette

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#2 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

Major differences from previous years:

• We've mentioned this before, but after last year I am making it official: If your blaster does not look like a toy, we will cover it in orange tape. Blasters in this category includes but are not limited to: Pump action shotguns, blasters painted black (especially pistols). Blasters painted brown, olive drab, or any other 'realistic' colors. Blasters with lots of cosmetic modifications. Blasters that look like paintball guns, blasters that look like airsoft guns (IE realistic with an orange tip. This is not sufficient for Apoc). Leave them at home or make them look more obviously like a toy. This goes double if you are using tacticool gear like holsters, slings, or vests.
  • As of last year, the new staging area is adjacent to the old one, across the path. If you walk towards the old one, you'll see it on your right. See the map above.
  • As of last year, there are no barrel taps at Apoc. You may shoot at point blank range, but do not touch another nerfer with your gun or barrel.
  • As of last year, to stop a round for safety reasons, yell out the word "HOLD". If you hear someone call "HOLD", STOP PLAYING IMMEDIATELY. At any time during a round, anyone can call "Hold", which will temporarily stop that round. Players should repeat the call of Hold so that all other players hear, until the round stops completely. If a pedestrian is walking through the field, if a player is injured or if there is some other threat to personal safety, you are obligated to call hold. You can call a hold to pause the game and sort out some issue that is not a matter of personal safety, but do not abuse it.
  • As of this year, the ban on sceptors will be temporarily lifted for SOME rounds (not all). You must still bring an alternative primary for the remaining rounds. The sceptor will be allowed for a small number of rounds as a test. Please put away your sceptor in your bag until you are told by a round enforcer that they are allowed.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#3 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Put me down as a hell yes. I will edit this post if any of my previous guest decide to join me.

Hey Langley... no marker for the Chunnel of Suck?

Edited by Griever 2112, 25 March 2014 - 03:26 PM.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#4 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

I will not be able to make the war, but would anyone be able to get some high-quality footage and maybe some interviews with famous nerfers? I am planning on making an episode on the channel dedicated to Apoc 2014 since it is hard to find good Apoc footage. Thanks guys.

#5 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

I fixed the poll. I think I accidentally wiped it out when I tried to fix a spelling error on the first post from my phone. If you voted earlier, you may need to vote again.

Hey Langley... no marker for the Chunnel of Suck?

Haven't updated the map from last year yet. I mainly stayed near the staging area last year because of the rain. I didn't want to waste a lot of time on hiking around to the different fields because I thought we would need to end early. I think overall though, it worked out nerfing in the old staging area and the 'tunnels', at least with that size group. I think we'll probably play a lot in that area this year as well.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#6 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

Don't get me wrong, the rounds over there were fun... I just thought that was a funny name for the area.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#7 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

I've added this to the first post, but I want to be clear on this due to the complaint we received last year.

If your blaster does not look like a toy, we will cover it in orange tape. Blasters in this category includes but are not limited to: Pump action shotguns, blasters painted black (especially pistols). Blasters painted brown, olive drab, or any other 'realistic' colors. Blasters with lots of cosmetic modifications. Blasters that look like paintball guns, blasters that look like airsoft guns (IE realistic with an orange tip. This is not sufficient for Apoc). Leave them at home or make them look more obviously like a toy. This goes double if you are using tacticool gear like holsters, slings, or vests.

Many of you have been putting airsoft parts or real firearm accessories on your homemades. I request that you add some iridescent color to your blaster, at least on the hopper and barrel. I'll have some colorful tape on me, but I would prefer not to have to check everyone's gear.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#8 bhajj94

bhajj94

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

I will definitely be there with Peach, no question about it!
Probably lurking somewhere...

#9 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

I will not be able to make the war, but would anyone be able to get some high-quality footage and maybe some interviews with famous nerfers? I am planning on making an episode on the channel dedicated to Apoc 2014 since it is hard to find good Apoc footage. Thanks guys.

If there is any of the good ol' days footage it would be practically unwatchable. Our site used to be on the archive.org wayback machine but I can't get to it anymore.
Personal LCM Summer Tune-Up Stats:
K:H=1.00
Shots Fired: 2.1 x 10^4
Fun had: 97%

#10 lawn mower

lawn mower

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

I'll be there.

#11 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

I'm in.
Roses are red, And violets are blue. One day we'll cruise down Blood Gulch avenue.

#12 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

If there is any of the good ol' days footage it would be practically unwatchable. Our site used to be on the archive.org wayback machine but I can't get to it anymore.

I think I still have some of the footage from the first apoc somewhere. It's pretty bad.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#13 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

I think I still have some of the footage from the first apoc somewhere. It's pretty bad.

Ok, I figured the footage wouldn't be too good, thanks for the offer! Langley I think I saw some APOC footage on your youtube channel from a looong time ago, but it may have been another war.

#14 sublimedom777

sublimedom777

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

I will try to attend, to remind everyone that Sex Dwarves are the best road clan ever.

I'll try and get the other Dwarves to rsvp as well.

Last of the Sex Dwarves, Head of Waifu Relations, Fetishizer of Blasters, The Far Warring, Mini-Van Driver, Possessor of Mattels, and Warden of the Manongahela

We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#15 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

I may have gotten hitched, but I still intend to attend.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves

#16 hoongfu

hoongfu

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

I may have gotten hitched, but I still intend to attend.

No excuses. I also got hitched and will be attending.

#17 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

No excuses. I also got hitched and will be attending.

I came into this hobby married... and I still get out.... on occasion... sometimes... :unsure:

My Youtube Page

#18 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

I will see you there come hell or high water.
Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#19 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

I'll be basically living at Newark EWR on 7/30 and 7/31 so consider me confirmed for this war.

Edited by Zorns Lemma, 03 July 2014 - 01:53 PM.

"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#20 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

I'll be basically at Newark EWR on 9/30 and 9/31 so consider me confirmed for this war.

The war is on 8/2.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#21 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:20 AM

I'll try my best to make it out there again, but I'm currently a maybe pending money for a flight and whether I can take the following Monday off from work. I will not make the mistake of commissioning a metric fuckton of homemades a month before the war like I did last year again. A few aluminum LS boltsleds might pop up for sale at some point, since $9/hr as an adjunct assistant professor for 25 hrs/week is not really enough to cover a $600 round trip flight (that's ~2.7 weeks of work). If not this summer, I'll be a definite next year, because I'll be living in Troy over the summer unless something drastic happens between now and then.

EDIT: Sorry guys, I won't be there this year. Blame Compton College for paying their faculty jack shit.

Edited by roboman, 07 July 2014 - 09:01 PM.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#22 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

I am likely to be sort of in the area (Massachusetts) at the time of the war, so there's a substantial chance I can be there. Are silicone dome darts kosher at this war? I'd thought they were noted as being OK at some point, but I didn't see anything that indicated this was the case when I re-read the relevant posts.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#23 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

I am likely to be sort of in the area (Massachusetts) at the time of the war, so there's a substantial chance I can be there. Are silicone dome darts kosher at this war? I'd thought they were noted as being OK at some point, but I didn't see anything that indicated this was the case when I re-read the relevant posts.

Every kind of putty dart has been banned due to skid marks on barrels and plunger tubes. MHA Silicone darts are permitted. Leaving any kind of cornstarch residue on anything other than your own person or property is expressly forbidden, and punishable by Chops.

Full disclosure: We will be running elimination game types virtually all day long. Exceptions will be made at the discretion of the round enforcers.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#24 Shoopy

Shoopy

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

I will be in attendance fo'sho. PA power repin' hard.
You know you all want to crouch like a tiger...

PA POWER Clan Is that all ya got?

#25 sublimedom777

sublimedom777

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

If anyone owns a Mattel Ultimator (or, I suppose an XXL Bazooka) Please bring it to the war. Mine is currently malfunctioning and I don't think I'll have it ready in time. If you do, you'll be able to play Ultimate Core Penetration, the ultimatist penetratintingist game around.

I may also bring some small consideration as a thank you, I suppose.

Last of the Sex Dwarves, Head of Waifu Relations, Fetishizer of Blasters, The Far Warring, Mini-Van Driver, Possessor of Mattels, and Warden of the Manongahela

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users