Photo

Air Xxl Skeet Shoot

25 replies to this topic

#1 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 07:29 PM

I recently picked up the Air XXL Electronic Skeet Shoot from Toys R Us. At first, I was intimidated by the price tag. $50 Canadian! "Pfft, whatever," said I, for I had recently recieved some money for my birthday. Then, just now, I opened up the thread about the new guns at Toys R Us, here. Yeah for me, everyone says this thing sucks. But, alas, I had already taken these pictures, ready for a write-up.
Front of Box
Posted Image
Back of Box
Posted Image
Gun
Posted Image
Skeet Shooter
Posted Image
Skeet Shooter
Posted Image
Remote Control
Posted Image
Internals
Posted Image
Internals
Posted Image

What do you guys think? Pack it up and send it back? Mod it, and if so, what kinds of modifications? Personally, I kind of like the cocking mechanism, very shotgunish. What I worry about is the plunger tube, kind of on the small side. I could do a homemade plunger and tube, but will it be worth it. The auto-rotating barrels are a nice touch and work well every time.
I just want to hear you opinion on if I should keep it or mod it, and which mods.

Thanks,
Hunter

PS. Pictures are free to public. I haven't seen any around, so if you want to use one go ahead.

Edited by Hunter, 04 July 2004 - 07:31 PM.

Hunter
Organizer Vancouver Area Nerf Series

#2 VoLT

VoLT

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 07:55 PM

If it had been cheaper, I'd say mod it... But, since it costs so much, would it even be worth it if you modded it? I recommend just returning it and buying something better for the same price. Like, the Half-Life Plainum Pack, for instance. :rolleyes:
It's a pity though, if it had a smaller price tag (as in 30 USD smaller :rolleyes: ) and was less shitty, it could be destined to become a good gun...
"Don't hate the little man cuz he's packing a six shooter!" - midget from GTA: San Andreas

My username is a good example of what happens when you leave caps lock on.

#3 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 07:58 PM

Awesome, nice pictures! I've been wanting to see the internals... The thing actually looks mod-able, and I like your idea of the extended plunger tube. however, you realize that if you made it bigger, you would probably need to extend the actual plunger head/shaft thing, which would really take some work. However, I wish you luck on your endeavors, I say mod it; after all, you would probably be one of the first, so you could say you're on the leading edge of modding overly expensive guns! If that's anything to be proud of...

~ompa

#4 Katachi

Katachi

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, if you can still return it, get yourelf like 8 Nite Finders instead and make one big one. :rolleyes:

I love returning stuff to Toys R Us. I used to mod Playstations and PS2s and if I ever screwed up, I'd buy one from TRU, put the dead PSX or PS2 in the box and return it.
"If I want something pretty, Ill paint a picuture. Courtesy of Shortshit" -THIRST

#5 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 09:28 PM

2 Nos and 1 Yes.
VoLT: Very true.
Ompa: I was thinking instead of extending the plunger tube, making it wider. What do you think?
Katachi: I just picked up a NF today. It was the one and only there, and I can't find any other locally.
Hunter

#6 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 09:29 PM

Hm... You know if you did that you would most likely have to carve out more of the case right?

~ompa

#7 Guest_ALIENfromMars_*

Guest_ALIENfromMars_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2004 - 12:50 AM

Looks like someone already invented a Nerf-Like Shotgun. Maybe you should change the spring with a stronger one to get a higher range. How far does it shoot the darts anyway?

#8 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:51 AM

Ya, Ompa. I know. Which is probably why I will return it.
Alien, the spring has nothing to do with it. Look for yourself, the plunger tube is too small. Right now it gets about 10 feet, but remember, it also has some funky air restrictors, too.
Hunter

#9 Vassili

Vassili

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:25 PM

Looks like quite a good gun, but is it worth 50 bucks? Not with my money.

I definitely say take it back. If you were to mod it and widen the plunger tube, you would have to move/modify/remove the rotating mechanism, which is kind of the whole reason why that gun would be so good.

Nice job on taking those pics, though.

Edited by Vassili, 05 July 2004 - 01:25 PM.

Foam Fortress Co-Webmaster

#10 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:11 PM

Take it back, too high of a price to have to do any major modding and fabricating.

#11 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:12 PM

I know $50 is alot, but remember. IT'S $50 CANADIAN to all you American guys. Yes, still alot, but... well....

Screw it, I'm returning it.

Pics aren't showing... wierd. I use Photobucket... Anyways, pics are up for anyone who wants to add them to thier gallery of shit...

Edited by Hunter, 05 July 2004 - 02:13 PM.

Hunter

#12 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:26 PM

Its $40 american, or thats what they sell for. If you did plunger mods, its just a homemade with a $40 as a shell...
Tyranny Response Team

#13 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:07 PM

Very true. Ok, I'm returning it. Cranky, you should get a new Avartar. The honnorable Ninjz already has "claimed" that one.
:P

Edited by Hunter, 05 July 2004 - 03:07 PM.

Hunter

#14 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:24 PM

I'll skank mosh him for it!
Tyranny Response Team

#15 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:27 PM

"I'll skank mosh him for it! "

Hahahahahahaha! Good stuff.

Im glad you took the initiative(sp) to get one and let us all see the internals and such. Its a shame that plunger tube isnt bigger....

#16 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:31 PM

Me and Howard bought one each of those a while back. We didn't really discuss what we each did, but I know that my new barrels didn't work at all, they were too heavy to even rotate.
I cut the barrels down a bit and returned it.
Personal LCM Summer Tune-Up Stats:
K:H=1.00
Shots Fired: 2.1 x 10^4
Fun had: 97%

#17 DJ Hurley

DJ Hurley

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:41 PM

I think this is the best time to say it.

SKEET SKEET SKEET!

Yeah, I do realize I'm not Dave Chappelle. But... yeah, I'll be in my cubicle...
NERF CITY
You're a dipshit, stop posting.
I'll let you know when you can start again.
Yes, I'm serious. ~Cxwq

#18 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:39 PM

I need to make a skeet launcher. Good pics and analysis, Hunter.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#19 Worlds largest bed race

Worlds largest bed race

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:14 AM

Has anyone considered what it would take to make the skeet shooter fire FBR?That thing just might be usful after all... :P

Really you should just take it back.Not worth the $50.

P.S.Has anyone picked up one of those XXL rocket launchers?Any possible dart mods might have serious potential for a long distantce rifle.

#20 VoLT

VoLT

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:37 PM

SKEET SKEET SKEET!

Yeah, I do realize I'm not Dave Chappelle. But... yeah, I'll be in my cubicle...

"Oh God, what've we done?!"

Why is it even so expensive anyway? If it were just the gun it would probably be only about $15. I guess the thing that launches... skeets is what makes it cost so much?
"Don't hate the little man cuz he's packing a six shooter!" - midget from GTA: San Andreas

My username is a good example of what happens when you leave caps lock on.

#21 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:41 PM

There is a lot of packaging and such, then the skeet launcher is pretty big, the gun is pretty big, and its electronic. The skeets are just cheap discs. Me and Howard tried ripping the boxes open and getting the gun out so we could bargain for it claiming it was like that when we found it. Alas, the stupid twist tie things held it in and we couldn't get a discount for the boxes being opened.
Personal LCM Summer Tune-Up Stats:
K:H=1.00
Shots Fired: 2.1 x 10^4
Fun had: 97%

#22 VeggieBoy 3000

VeggieBoy 3000

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:12 AM

About how small is that plunger tube, hunter? Is it smaller than an LnL? Smaller than a triple-shot? A triple shot or a first shot has a tiny plunger tube, but can get over 50 ft. pretty easily. Even if you could only get 50-60 ft with that gun, it would be amazing, just look at the ROF! The only problem is risking the $40 price tag...
Go NAVY! Beat ARMY!

#23 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:32 AM

SKEET SKEET SKEET!

no, you're not

don't take it too hard.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#24 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:57 AM

The tube is actually slightly smaller than a First Shot. Frankly, I don't want a giagantic pistol.
Hunter

#25 DJ Hurley

DJ Hurley

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:00 PM

SKEET SKEET SKEET!

no, you're not

don't take it too hard.

Yeah, that's the reason why I said I'm not Dave Chappelle.
Dur. ^_^
NERF CITY
You're a dipshit, stop posting.
I'll let you know when you can start again.
Yes, I'm serious. ~Cxwq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users