With Flash Diagrams

18 replies to this topic

#1 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:00 AM

Here we go once again.

To sum it all up, its a pump action, dual barrelled, air powered, clip based, shotgun...

This time i've taken a bit of time out to actually construct the design in flash mx, but i had to publish it in a flash 5 format because some people have trouble playing Flash 6 .swf's.

For an elapsed version, the design is simply a pump action shotgun that has a Powerclip styled clip, with each level having to dart barrels that connect to the two barrels. It's very simple, yet very surprising in the aspect that nobody had yet replecated the PowerClip style clip for use in a pump action shot-gun [or to my recollection].

The Flash Animation, found here, is very simple and leaves out several key features. Nowhere does it talk about the required valves, nor the clip and pump-action railing required. So just think about the general concept here, but not the individual workings.

Have fun kiddies.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#2 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:40 AM

Nice concept, what kind of regulation are you going to use? (i saw the part on not talking about valves yet)

Edited by xedice, 05 July 2004 - 10:41 AM.

Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#3 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:54 AM

Impressive idea! It seems to me that it might work better to have the gun be spring powered, with the pump that advances the clip also cocking the springs.
Do not mess with CXWQ, for he has Admin powers and will bann your flaming little a**.

Techno-Dann of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team

#4 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:26 PM

It's still up in the air. A spring powered design would be good, but the individual moulding and plastics would be annoying and ugly. The range would suck, but i suppse you could use that home-made plunger concept of a pump and spring.

This gun, if i bothered to create it [i have about $5 that i can touch, and about only $300 untouchable] would use plastic extra's to look uber sexy. If i could be bothered, this would be one hell of a gun.

Nice concept, what kind of regulation are you going to use?

My knowledge of valves and such isn't too strong. Hell, its piss weak. Generally, it would be prefered pump to tank [via ball valve]; tank to barrel[s] [via prefered solenoid, valve, or hose handle, whatever takes your fancy]; and the air would then travel through the clip/barrel and *shazzam*

I'm not entirely sure about regulators, even the meaning eludes me.

#5 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:46 PM

Well Taita, You gave me a bunch of ideas for my broken pump. I was originally going to make a homemade x-bow, but if i could integrate that clip mechanism into the design, I would be very happy with a shotgun.

Now, about YOUR design. I really like it, and the way I see it working is this:
You have two valves. One operated by the shotgun style slide, and one operated by the trigger.

1) When you pull back the slide to advance the magazine, the first valve opens allowing the air to fill the secondary airtank chamber.

2) When you push the slide back forward the first valve closes, sealing the air in the secondary chamber.

3) You pull the trigger to release the air in the secondary chamber which fires the two darts.

I was thinking that the best valve for operation by the slide could be a super soaker valve. With the right connections, it would be perfect.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#6 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:37 PM

I get what you mean, there's quite a lot of potential there.

Apart from the extra tank, and there fore more air and subsequent shots, what are the real benefits of building in this extra tank?!

And remember, if you build one, it has to be uber sexy. :nugget:

#7 Arcanis

Arcanis

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:53 AM

Make the pump level with the front grip-thingy and attach the two together.

-i hate the yankees as much as the next guy, but i'm only sixteen and i'm not ready for the ice age, or the apocalypse...whichever the great bambino has destined for us. -Rawray7

#8 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:22 PM

Apart from the extra tank, and there fore more air and subsequent shots, what are the real benefits of building in this extra tank?!

It shouldn't really be thought of as an "extra tank." All it should be is a large, 'shoulder-stock-sized' tank connected directly to a small pipe chamber.

Look here and scroll down for an example of a simple '2 tank' design.

When I said 'two tanks' you probably thought of a normal tank and an externally connected tank. I am talking more of PVC chambers separated by air valves. The reservoir air chamber larger than the firing chamber.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#9 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:51 PM

nice ideas vintage, combine all the work into the pump action. The 2 tank design is the most basic form of regulation, zero's site explains it well. However, each shot still gets less and less powerful, but should still be sufficient. Sounds good for the shotgun homemade.

Edited by xedice, 06 July 2004 - 04:52 PM.

Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#10 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:56 AM

Sure, i knew what you meant, i just didn't really get the meaning of 'regulation'. I understand completely now, and i guess you can if you want to, but it's a whole lot of extra effort just to fire a single shot off. And of course, as mentioned, your shots get substantially weaker every time you shoot and open up the second tank.

I'm liking the plunger idea more every day. I get how the plunger could be made and used, but how would you lock it in place to be activated by a trigger?

There are some good idea's there. You'll just have to put them into practice when you get a chance. Keep up the good work.

#11 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 04:41 AM

how are you going to seal between the face of the mag and the breech of the barrel (and the muzzle of the air tank/valve assembly)? there would be massive air leaks here, same effect that makes revolvers generally less powerful/accurate than a clip-magazine based semiauto.

#12 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 04:44 AM

also...wouldnt the most important thing definig it as a shotgun be the ability to fire a spread of projectiles? side-by-side barrels dont make it a shotgun...they just make it a double-barreled weapon.

#13 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:12 AM

Handy little hint, use the 'edit' button, and add a "EDIT:" prefix to any extra comments. To avoid flaming.

I get you're concept, i didn't really mention any valves or O-Rings in the design. I quite obviously just animated the general idea, and was going to let any developers deal with their prefered valves etc. I was guessing you'd probably seal the clip to barrel with an O-Ring on both ends, with the actual internal barrels of the clips off-set such that they are closer to both barrel ends.

This isn't meant to be a long distance, accurate weapon. It revolves around similar idea's to the PC [well, i stole the idea's from the PC] and we know how piss-weak that is.

I wouldn't call it a shotgun by definition, but it's the closest your going to get in nerf, at the moment at least. It operates on a pump action, and is fired from the hip, that should pretty much seal it...

#14 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:21 AM

meh, im less than unworried about flames. remember kids, you are often thousands of miles from the guy typing angry bytes at you ;)

gotcha. so, sort of a "hey, how are ya, here's 20 micros to snack on" kinda weapon?

#15 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:34 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think after all, it would save you a lot of effort to just have it leak a fair bit of air. All the effort in applying O-Rings ... All the effort to move the clip up [a lot more friction] ...

Anyway, if you have a bit of cash, toy around with it. Oh, and remember the uber sexy requirements.

#16 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:41 AM

have you ever used a sawtooth? cos it works on mostly the same design. its a piston gun, not a tanker, and it uses the magazine clip as the barrels, but other than that, same deal. it has a rubber tube-y thing that seals against each chamber as it cycles through, and even unmodded i remember it being decent. it got thrown away tho...stupid :/

#17 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:48 AM

... the only other nerf guns i've ever held in my hands were a powerclip, a $2 store lame 4-shot revolver, and a switch shot. That's about it. The revolver is quite a nice side-arm, which is why i'm modding it in that other thread.

I'm flat broke, so it's not my position to build any of these. Hey, i'm like TIG on NHQ :)

#18 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:03 AM

dont sell nerf down under?

#19 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:08 AM

Well, K-Mart doesn't anymore. They've stopped selling foam guns altogether. One thing i noticed when i went to America was that all the stores like K-Mart, Target, Wal-Mart sold ... real guns everywhere. Wierd.

It's a bit of a dissapointment, but it means i have to look further and harder nowadays.

Edited by taita_cakes, 04 August 2004 - 03:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users